Well L96 Upgrades. Did I Do It Wrong? #ImpulseBuyer

ice8135
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hiya guys.

rather than doing research like i should i went ahead and bought some upgrade parts for my Well l96

I bought the Sniper One 500FPS Upgrade Kit http://www.airsoftsniperparts.com/product-page/8b146152-0048-6bdb-863a-2c112057130b?page=1

And a new inner barrel http://www.airsoftsniperparts.com/product-page/e18ae61f-9b1a-9a47-3840-4a32b3e333cf?page=1

Do i need to upgrade anything else for these parts to fit? Having a panic because i stupidly spent money against my best intentions of not doing research first.

Thanks folks

• Supporters

Well the stock bolt assembly won't handle the 500 FPS spring, it'll snap after a while. Madbull barrels are.. eh. I would've gone PDI.

You'll need the Action army type 96 hop up unit in order to use the barrel, it allows the use of AEG barrels, buckings and nubs.

You'll find that your rifle will shoot over the 500 FPS limit due to the tightbore. Don't think that particular barrel will make any difference whatsoever compared to the stock barrel.

Well the stock bolt assembly won't handle the 500 FPS spring, it'll snap after a while. Madbull barrels are.. eh. I would've gone PDI.

You'll need the Action army type 96 hop up unit in order to use the barrel, it allows the use of AEG barrels, buckings and nubs.

You'll find that your rifle will shoot over the 500 FPS limit due to the tightbore. Don't think that particular barrel will make any difference whatsoever compared to the stock barrel.

Thanks Monty, i can change up to a PDI barrel its not a problem. Ill find the hopup somewhere online and do a buy. Are upgrade parts available for the bolt assembly?

• Supporters

Thanks Monty, i can change up to a PDI barrel its not a problem. Ill find the hopup somewhere online and do a buy. Are upgrade parts available for the bolt assembly?

Cylinder - http://airsoftpro.cz/en/gun-parts-upgrade/sniper-rifles-parts/for-well-mb06-13/niklovany-valec-pro-pusky-well-mb06-detail

Hop up - https://www.airsoftworld.net/action-army-type-96-l96-rifle-replacement-hop-unit-cnc-aluminium.html

The parts are freely available thankfully, I've not had any experience with the steel bolt handle / cylinder as my L96 doesn't need the steel parts (shooting around 460) it's fine so far. For the hop up I recommend using a flat hop / R-hop and flat nub combination with the heaviest BB's you can get.

Cylinder - http://airsoftpro.cz/en/gun-parts-upgrade/sniper-rifles-parts/for-well-mb06-13/niklovany-valec-pro-pusky-well-mb06-detail

Hop up - https://www.airsoftworld.net/action-army-type-96-l96-rifle-replacement-hop-unit-cnc-aluminium.html

The parts are freely available thankfully, I've not had any experience with the steel bolt handle / cylinder as my L96 doesn't need the steel parts (shooting around 460) it's fine so far. For the hop up I recommend using a flat hop / R-hop and flat nub combination with the heaviest BB's you can get.

That Cylinder is for the MB06. Will that fit? Mine was listed as MB01/08 http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/two-tone-airsoft/well-mb-01-08-warrior-i-fluted-barrel-sniper-two-tone-blue.htm#.WC4Ay-aLSUk

• Supporters

They're pretty much the same, just the body is different.. Comparing the bolts on both the MB-01 and 06, it should fit.

I got my AA hop here...https://www.unit13shop.eu/index.php?action=article&aid=16503〈=en〈=EN but the price was better before certain events buggered up the exchange rate. However, the flat hop and nub they list underneath works well with the hop. And these together with a Prometheus EG 6.03 barrel ( mine is 455mm which I think is AK length) and ASG 0.4g ammo give excellent accuracy.

You could save a stack by using the standard spring and piston with a few mods to improve the airseal. The above hop/ barrel with a properly setup piston and the right lubrication gave me 460 fps (almost wholly due to improved air seal), excellent accuracy and didn't overstress the standard trigger (albeit with a bit of work to clean up all the bearing faces). A few other free mods to improve fit and stability will help with accuracy.

But if you've already spent the money, as already noted the cylinder will give up the ghost after a bit. It's only aluminium and either the threads that hold the cylinder head in will fail, or the stronger pull against the spring will wrench the plug the bolt handle rotates on loose.

You may well need to shorten the spring or better still use a lighter one (more money...) to get below 500 fps.

I got my AA hop here...https://www.unit13shop.eu/index.php?action=article&aid=16503〈=en〈=EN but the price was better before certain events buggered up the exchange rate. However, the flat hop and nub they list underneath works well with the hop. And these together with a Prometheus EG 6.03 barrel ( mine is 455mm which I think is AK length) and ASG 0.4g ammo give excellent accuracy.

You could save a stack by using the standard spring and piston with a few mods to improve the airseal. The above hop/ barrel with a properly setup piston and the right lubrication gave me 460 fps (almost wholly due to improved air seal), excellent accuracy and didn't overstress the standard trigger (albeit with a bit of work to clean up all the bearing faces). A few other free mods to improve fit and stability will help with accuracy.

But if you've already spent the money, as already noted the cylinder will give up the ghost after a bit. It's only aluminium and either the threads that hold the cylinder head in will fail, or the stronger pull against the spring will wrench the plug the bolt handle rotates on loose.

You may well need to shorten the spring or better still use a lighter one (more money...) to get below 500 fps.

Could always use everything i bought but retain the stock spring. As i know most sites limit snipers to 500fps so i dont really want to go over that. They quote this one at 450 out the box, so looking 480-490 and really nice accuracy. Bearing in mind i have never been to a skirmish before or shot a BB gun before today when they arrived haha. I need everything i can to help me. Am an ex paintball guy and making the change to airsoft as i prefer the weapons :) i like lifelike feel.

Thanks so much guys for all your input. really appreciated. Nice friendly forum

Also lastly, Are these upgrades within my capability to do? Im reasonably technical minded and pretty good with fiddly bits. Just hoping its not total nightmares :D

I've just checked the spec on that kit, and it looks like it'll accept the standard spring. Definitely worth a try.

The only other things you'll need to do is stabilise the inner barrel in the outer. This costs nothing more than a few metres of masking tape and some patience. The fluted barrel is tapered so it's easy to get a nice snug fit. Just do one spacer at a time and make it over diameter so you can't get the hop to line up with the window. Then remove one layer of tape at a time until it all fits together nicely. Two spacers are all you need, and a single wrap around the muzzle to get a snug fit in the muzzle cap. Ptfe tape around the muzzle cap thread will stop the bloody thing unscrewing itself!

You may also find the outer barrel is a sloppy fit in the receiver were they are threaded together. Again PTFE tape is your friend and will tighten that up a treat.

Enjoy crawling through the undergrowth!

Also lastly, Are these upgrades within my capability to do? Im reasonably technical minded and pretty good with fiddly bits. Just hoping its not total nightmares :D

Save a couple of takeaway containers for the little bits!

Take your time, take pics, if you really have to take the trigger apart do it in a plastic bag! The only bit that caught me out was the tiny grub screw that locks the outer barrel to the receiver.

It's addictive though...;)

Save a couple of takeaway containers for the little bits!

Take your time, take pics, if you really have to take the trigger apart do it in a plastic bag! The only bit that caught me out was the tiny grub screw that locks the outer barrel to the receiver.

It's addictive though... ;)

Thanks so much. Ill take pics before i take it apart. good idea! just ordered the cylinder, the hopup and the rubbers. Going to take a little while to get to me as it comes from Europe. Gives me a chance to get some time with the gun before the upgrades come.

Airsoft seems mega addictive. Especially the buying gear part :D

Cant wait to find my local centre and get to a skirmish

Bit off topic, but before you field your sniper, try your local skirmish site with a standard hire AEG. That way you'll get to learn the lay of the land and get some action rather than trying to figure out where you can snipe from.

Bit off topic, but before you field your sniper, try your local skirmish site with a standard hire AEG. That way you'll get to learn the lay of the land and get some action rather than trying to figure out where you can snipe from.

Did read this somewhere else or hear it on a youtube video so i bought a SCAR-H AEG aswell. Picked up a ACOG for it so i can experiment with roles. DMR etc. But that's some good advice, thank you

Total failure.... stripped the gun apart to install new bits. piston doesnt fit in the cylinder, spring guide doesnt have a hole for the other rod left inside the chamber to go into, the trigger has bolt holes in completely different places. So this is likely a kit for a different type of L96. Annoyed isnt the word for it....

With most kits you'll take the skinny little rod out. Remove the bolt that holds the bolt handle on from the rear of the cylinder assembly (it's tight and thread locked in) and you can push the bit of wire out backwards. Doesn't really help with the other problems though...

I've just had a look at the site you bought from and I think you've got the kit for the AWS L96 which is a VSR based rifle. Not the right stuff for a MB 01.

If you need some suggestions of good upgrade choices I'm sure someone will chip in. With the Well L96 you seem to get the chance to pick'n'mix rather than being offered a complete kit.

Archived