Advice for starting guns for a range of beginners.

Ambitiousmould
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, all. I've just gotten into airsoft, and have just gotten my UKARA license today, so I'm looking into getting a gun, or more accurately, several. My dad and younger brother are just starting so I'm going to get one each for them to use as well (although they'll be kept with me for them to use when we go to a site, I'm not sure how legal it is for me to buy a gun on someone else's behalf). Since we all have different requirements for a first gun, I'd love to get some advice on each of us from you lovely people.

Beginner 1: Me. I have a pretty good idea of what I want, that being a CYMA CM.045. From what I hear (and have seen at my 3 games so far) CYMA AKs are a good bet for a reliable gun, and I like AKs 74u's so that's what I'm going for. The trouble is that I don't know whether to get the CM.045A (with redwood grip) or the CM.045C (the one with attachment rails). I prefer the wood grip but I've seen some old CYMA guns and the wood always seems to have a weird, manky quality to it, looking for all the world like paint peeling and blistering underneath whatever finish they have. Is this unavoidable or can something be done about it? My other question about the A model is the FPS. It shoots 420 out of the box according to the website, and I've read in numberous places on the interwebs that it seems to have a higher FPS than whatever spring would normally give, so what spring would I need to have it shoot at 350? (Apparently the C model shoots at 320 so that's not an issue there).

Beginner 2: My dad. He's not much of a gun person so I don't think it matters much what gun he gets to be honest, just the best balance of money and reliability. Chances are this will be his only weapon until the end of time. Is a CYMA AK up to this, or is there something more appropriate out there?

Beginner 3: My younger brother. He's 12, and since I don't really know what the consensus around here on the appropriate ages for airsoft I just want to assure you all that he only has access to the gun when on the UKARA registered site where we play, he wears full face protection when not in the safe zone, he has 3 adult family members to watch him (besides all the other players and marshals) and besides which he is a very cautious lad. Now the questions. Last time he played he used a (knackered to buggery) G36c rented from the site, but since he's very small for his age, by the end of the day he was struggling to carry it about a bit. What decent lighter guns are out there? It's a woodland site so it needs to have some accuracy at range, and preferably be in the region of £150. I've been looking at the Umarex H&K UMP 45, but I've not found any reviews.

Sorry for the huge wall of text and barrage of questions, but I want to get this right because I don't have money to chuck down the loo.

Cheers in advance.

Hi, all. I've just gotten into airsoft, and have just gotten my UKARA license today,

He's some advice: Don't tell lies!

:ph34r:

so I'm looking into getting a gun, or more accurately, several. My dad and younger brother are just starting so I'm going to get one each for them to use as well (although they'll be kept with me for them to use when we go to a site, I'm not sure how legal it is for me to buy a gun on someone else's behalf). Since we all have different requirements for a first gun, I'd love to get some advice on each of us from you lovely people.

You can buy guns for other people so long as they don't give you any money (or anything else) in exchange for them - gifts only.

I've been looking at the Umarex H&K UMP 45, but I've not found any reviews.

UMP has large magazines. Better off looking at weight and materials. An example of a super light gun (expensive) is the PDR-C.

• Supporters

Haha, yeah. I just figured that 3 games in as many months still counts as just starting.

He meant the Ukara "licence".....there's no such thing.

Aaaaanyway - I had a CM045A for a while and it's a great gun. It'll definitely last you a decent while too. I bought the A version with wooden furniture and while it's not exactly brilliant it's fine. I bought the CYMA railed handguard for it and fitted the bottom half so I could run a torch (it's part CM144 if you want one, they're pretty cheap too).

You can buy guns for other people so long as they don't give you any money (or anything else) in exchange for them - gifts only

You also cannot sell the coke cans that say "not to be sold individually" on them.

Archived