Carrying RIF on public transport

ElMalko
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, this Sat I'm going to a skirmish but the only way for me to get there would be via train. I've tried looking up some laws on carrying RIF on public transport but have yet to find a definitive answer. Do any of you have any experience or know what the regulations are? Thanks in advance.

I assume its just the same as carrying one in public? Keep it concealed in a suitible bag and dont give away that it is a rif unless questioned by a member of the police or etc?

As long as it's covered in a bag/box so no one can see it then your fine , it is a toy after all.. however I would recommend a bag that doesn't make it obvious don't keep anything loaded and keep battery unplugged so no accidental discharges in the bag.

• 3 weeks later...

As someone who recently did this on the train and got stopped by british transport police. It helps to know the law.

When requested to open said bag/case make sure you are aware the second you open the case you are now brandishing a weapon in public and can be arrested. You are best off requesting they take you to a secure or local police station before you open the bag/case. Do not at any point open or do anything that may make your firearm visible to the public this may cause undue panic and cause the police/btp to arrest you.

You dont need to tell people about the firearms but don't act like you are trying to hide it, this can be considered a threat. Be calm and inform anyone who asks that its a AIRSOFT GUN and not a real firearm.

Do research ahead of time and know if you are going to enter a transport hub and normally these are in heightened security alert, make yourself look low profile if you cant then make it look obvious you are going to airsoft, e.g. camo on, boots, branded clothing. Most police understand and know what airsoft is..

Take cation what you say on the phone. Dont talk about tactics and training, as people may over hear this.

Hope that helps.

Very few Police will know what airsoft is or the law. Dress in plain clothes rather than camo, change at site. Keep guns in ordinary looking bag, unloaded and batteries removed. If asked what you have in the bag tell them calmly you have realistic toy guns in them and explain you are on your way to an airsoft game, probably then have to explain that is like paintball. You are breaking no laws, if they ask you to open bag explain that to do so in public could cause un necessary concern and ask to go somewhere private.

If you are sensible you will have a great day, no one cares what your carrying unless you act like they should be.

Archived