Plate carrier setup

Death fighter
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

Looking to get myself a plate carrier and just wanted abit of info. Price isn't really a big deal but at long as it's not stupid (£200+)

Would it be better to buy one with pouches fitted or separate?

Where's the best place to buy one and pouches?

Thanks

• Head Moderator

I would get one without fitted pouches because it will allow you more flexibility in the size/type of pouch carried and placement of your kit.

Try looking at UK Tactical - http://www.uktactical.com/ Good quality and range of items.

I would get the best of both worlds - if you find a good price, get one with pouches, that can be removed. That way, you have an easy setup to start with, which you can then add and takeaway stuff to suit you.

• Supporters

Mine was cheap - got it on AliExpress. I had to do some work on it - the pull tabs killed me... sharp metal. But a little snipping and heat-shrink fixed that. Now I have no issues whatsoever.

Dont make the mistake of buying one too cheaply.

My first one was about £40 and it was uncomfortable and hard to get off.

Molle detachable pouches are best because you can have different arrangements as you fine tune what you want.

I swap M4 size pouches for AK ones and sometimes add/remove pouches for different games e.g. grenade pouches.

Its worth adding dummy plates for shape.

You could look at Warrior and Flyye which arent crazily expensive.

• Supporters

Most decent plate carriers won't come with pouches unless it's a bundle deal (UkTactical do this with their gear DCS Light M4 kit: http://www.uktactical.com/p-6616-warrior-dcs-m4-coyote-tan.aspx for example). JPC type carriers do have a built in pouch to take three mags but can also have more added using the MOLLE. Depends if you like that style though.

Agree with Baz JJ don't go too cheap! I started with an eBay special which fell apart during a skirmish, seriously it was like the Forrest Gump running scene! I went for a warrior DCS and it's been great. Got mine from uk tactical like a few people have suggested already.

• Supporters

In terms of build quality, features and overall value for money, this is the best option on the market I'd say: http://www.uktactical.com/p-11412-warrior-recon-plate-carrier-sapi-size-medium-multicam.aspx

If you're not fussed about the quick on/off via the buckles and the ability to swap the front panels (features I find absolutely invaluable personally) the older style DCS mentioned above is also excellent.

• Moderators

as above, or look at Warriors chest rig and back panel as well, i use them and remove the back panel during the warmer days....its only a BB :). does me good

my brother, although i told him to look around, got a cheap one from Patrol base, 3 games so far and he hasn't complained, it also came with dummy inserts. Just take your time though and look for the odd deal

Archived