Another kid, police and bb gun story...

skarra333
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What I find most interesting are the stats from West Mids police on air and bb gun call outs over just a short period of time...

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/emergency-services/2016/09/21/bb-gun-found-in-childs-bag-at-wolverhampton-school/

Thoughts?

"plastic BB gun", so the gun was plastic or the ammunition?

I would be more interested in why someone was looking through a child's bag tbh.

Would it matter? It was a RIF and therefore illegal for a child to have in public, I would have imagined they heard about the 'weapon' or someone saw him with it and reported him.

Would it matter? It was a RIF and therefore illegal for a child to have in public, I would have imagined they heard about the 'weapon' or someone saw him with it and reported him.

My comment was about the shoddy reporting, not the facts. The author had failed to sufficiently distinguish whether it was noteworthy that the gun was made of plastic, as opposed to most(but not all) guns being predominantly metal, or whether what was noteworthy was that it fired plastic projectiles. But as we've seen, thanks to our bias, gun reporting in the UK is almost always shoddy and sensational.

In both cases it makes a big difference because this is an airsoft forum, not a BB gun forum, and I doubt many people here own bb guns or care about BB guns.

Personally I would prefer if these articles focused on the imitation firearm aspect but, for some reason they never do, its always just "gun gungungungungungungun"

Illegal for anyone to have in public, child or not.

I was referring to the bag search more so, even still if joe public saw someone with a RIF metal or plastic most would not be able to tell the difference and think it was a live weapon anyway.

BB or airsoft its still similar enough to be of interest here and its these cheapo bb RIFs which you can get down the fricken market (and kids get hold of easily) which WILL impact on us and airsoft forums as all RIFs bb or airsoft would end up under some stupid new law!

Reminds me of when I was at school (many moons ago) a kid had a bb gun, or airsoft gun I dont know but was waving it around in the flats next to school. Armed cops pulled up and swarmed him an his little group, the rest of the school thought it was the best thing ever at the time.

I was referring to the bag search more so, even still if joe public saw someone with a RIF metal or plastic most would not be able to tell the difference and think it was a live weapon anyway.

BB or airsoft its still similar enough to be of interest here and its these cheapo bb RIFs which you can get down the fricken market (and kids get hold of easily) which WILL impact on us and airsoft forums as all RIFs bb or airsoft would end up under some stupid new law!

Reminds me of when I was at school (many moons ago) a kid had a bb gun, or airsoft gun I dont know but was waving it around in the flats next to school. Armed cops pulled up and swarmed him an his little group, the rest of the school thought it was the best thing ever at the time.

Except RIFs are not necessary for airsoft, and neither are BB guns. But I make no contention or disagreement in saying that. :) If any were banned, likely all would be.

Personally I've never understood how any kind of BB gun is legal unless capable of guaranteed lethal force against vermin.

Archived