Replacing Springs Question..

Reece_Spurs
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I want to change my spring on my Krytac SPR, I believe it comes with a fairly low m90?

Now someone on here recently said they replaced their Krytac CRB (I'm assuming the internals including the springs are exactly the same?) with a m100 and averaged just under 350fps.

I had a look at general guides, would a m110 be around 380fps? A m120 around 410 etc?

Also, as the spring goes up in power, does it get to a point where it could damage the gun or is it as simple as just swapping them out?

Been looking on Patrol Base and for example, they have a MadBull M110 (Non linear???) and an ASG M110, same price, any difference between manufacturers when it comes to springs?

Thanks in advance

• Supporters

It is difficult to predict to high degree of accuracy each gun firing at 349.999999fps

In "theory" the ratings are if anything a rough guide and different makes of m100 vary

often they are a smidge over but Guarder springs are often quite a bit - Guarder m100 can easily place average gun well over 350

Then you got different guns on top with degrees of great/crap seals

plus you different barrel lengths - a very short barrel will produce less fps than a very long barrel

Then also inside a gun's gearbox...

Bearing spring guide or std spring guide will be a 5mm difference

Piston bearings or spacers will also vary by another 5mm

This then equates to a variation of 10mm spring compression before the piston retracts - that is 3 x 3mm teeth of extra/less compression !!!

So it is possible a m100 spring could give out anything from 300 to 370 - 400 if Guarder M100 though this is perhaps pushing it with perfect seals on a long 469mm barrel blah blah blah.....

It is a pity the QD spring isn't a little more user friendly - you have to partially remove gearbox - which means motor/grip etc....

Some other guns - even some M4's have a longer QD spring guide which means the box can remain in receiver

Still at least you don't have to open box to change spring which is still a blessing

Would be nice if a shop offered a service or testing your spring in a gun eg: aps uar

confirm the fps in uar - now you want an extra 40fps say...

the 295fps spring was shooting around 325 in uar, so in "theory" the ideal thing to aim for is a spring hitting 365 (325+40) in uar

That "should" give an expected 335 in the original gun....

Well that is the theory - but I can confirm it doesn't always work out exactly right - nearly but not always 101% guaranteed

(springs vary in reg or irregular types and just general WTF comes into play like in most things)

a new shs m100 "should" give you more than 328fps in a good sealing gun like Krytac

But do not sue me if it goes a smidge either way than expected

m100 should equate to 328fps but as listed above there are $hitload of reasons why different final results can vary

(minor edit - piston weight can "slightly" alter the fps as a ultra light piston returning quicker will generate a slight increase in final fps over a slower heavier or a binding piston)

I want to change my spring on my Krytac SPR, I believe it comes with a fairly low m90?

Now someone on here recently said they replaced their Krytac CRB (I'm assuming the internals including the springs are exactly the same?) with a m100 and averaged just under 350fps.

I had a look at general guides, would a m110 be around 380fps? A m120 around 410 etc?

Also, as the spring goes up in power, does it get to a point where it could damage the gun or is it as simple as just swapping them out?

Been looking on Patrol Base and for example, they have a MadBull M110 (Non linear???) and an ASG M110, same price, any difference between manufacturers when it comes to springs?

Thanks in advance

Recce, it may have been me.

I replaced the spring of my LVOA with an M100 (its a Lonex ). Raised the FPS from 310 to 340. Hasn't had any noticeable effect on ROF.

I understand that internally the LVOA is the same as an SPR so imagine you should get the same result.

Unless your DMRing your SPR and getting it locked to semi, I wouldn't get anything above an M100. You could end up with your gun firing too hot to field.

CBH

Thanks in advance

Hi, I have an SPR and I put an m100 in. It came just to 360 fps with each shot on .20's, which is too hot. To solve this you can shorten the spring. I haven't done this because I don't trust myself yet and I don't have the proper tools and I do not wan't to half-a-job-bob it. I put the stock spring back in and to be honest it's fine. It still has the range and consistency and out range's most rifles anyways.

Hi, I have an SPR and I put an m100 in. It came just to 360 fps with each shot on .20's, which is too hot. To solve this you can shorten the spring. I haven't done this because I don't trust myself yet and I don't have the proper tools and I do not wan't to half-a-job-bob it. I put the stock spring back in and to be honest it's fine. It still has the range and consistency and out range's most rifles anyways.

Cheers for the replies guys, I meant to mention I am looking to DMR my SPR, so was looking to hit atleast 360 - 400 fps.

Thanks Sitting Duck for all that info, very helpful mate. I'm currently about to buy some things from Patrol Base, do you recommend MadBull or ASG springs? If I were to buy a M110 spring is it literally as simple as replacing the old one? Plug and play kinda thing? Will a strong spring potentially damage anything?

• Supporters

Cheers for the replies guys, I meant to mention I am looking to DMR my SPR, so was looking to hit atleast 360 - 400 fps.

Thanks Sitting Duck for all that info, very helpful mate. I'm currently about to buy some things from Patrol Base, do you recommend MadBull or ASG springs? If I were to buy a M110 spring is it literally as simple as replacing the old one? Plug and play kinda thing? Will a strong spring potentially damage anything?

First & foremost - a chrono or a m8 who has one or something

you can't even guess it - I had 2 black springs I found looked exact same felt nigh on the exact same

only 86fps difference when fitted so nearly the same

I honestly don't know - I haven't used them makes....

You are best asking Patrol Base think Rocky Climber Dave is involved or something

Ask an experienced mofo there what springs are like - if any are a smidge over/under bang on in their experience

if your gun is 350mm+ barrel then a m100 "should" be ok if seals are good

if 300mm barrel or below then a m105 (Element) or m110 might be needed on 250mm barrel guns

As said there are a few reasons why a genuine m105 that produces in THEORY 344.4fps varies so much in other guns

if it is a smidge over say 5-10 fps max you can leave gun pre-cocked overnight

or use .25's and set the hop for this weight - BUT still chrono on .20's - this slight increase in hop may scrape the 0.20's just under

I'd avoid cutting coils & wotnot unless you know what you are doing and make a really nice neat tidy job

(actually - f*ck it buy a couple of springs before you start hacking up a new one)

Heck at a real push you could attempt to s t r e t c h the old spring out a bit but like cutting coils this is guesswork

plus the spring may have started to fade a little so any increase in fps would be a bit short lived imho

fairly sure you might wanna buy a m100 & maybe m110 of SAME make

try m100 and might be ok - in THEORY the m110 will give you 30 or 32.8fps more than m100 spring if needed

(think m100 will do the job and ensure you "should" be ok or only a smidge over if everything is still $hit hot seal inside)

First & foremost - a chrono or a m8 who has one or something

you can't even guess it - I had 2 black springs I found looked exact same felt nigh on the exact same

only 86fps difference when fitted so nearly the same

I honestly don't know - I haven't used them makes....

You are best asking Patrol Base think Rocky Climber Dave is involved or something

Ask an experienced mofo there what springs are like - if any are a smidge over/under bang on in their experience

if your gun is 350mm+ barrel then a m100 "should" be ok if seals are good

if 300mm barrel or below then a m105 (Element) or m110 might be needed on 250mm barrel guns

As said there are a few reasons why a genuine m105 that produces in THEORY 344.4fps varies so much in other guns

if it is a smidge over say 5-10 fps max you can leave gun pre-cocked overnight

or use .25's and set the hop for this weight - BUT still chrono on .20's - this slight increase in hop may scrape the 0.20's just under

I'd avoid cutting coils & wotnot unless you know what you are doing and make a really nice neat tidy job

(actually - f*ck it buy a couple of springs before you start hacking up a new one)

Heck at a real push you could attempt to s t r e t c h the old spring out a bit but like cutting coils this is guesswork

plus the spring may have started to fade a little so any increase in fps would be a bit short lived imho

fairly sure you might wanna buy a m100 & maybe m110 of SAME make

try m100 and might be ok - in THEORY the m110 will give you 30 or 32.8fps more than m100 spring if needed

(think m100 will do the job and ensure you "should" be ok or only a smidge over if everything is still $hit hot seal inside)

Cheers again mate, went for this in the end http://airsoftzone.co.uk/m110-spring-aeg-ultimate-asg Patrol Base didn't have either a M100 or a M110. Going to buy a chrono too, sod it, if it's too hot then i'll just buy a M100 and keep the M110 for something else. £10 isn't alot so i'll just risk it :P

• Supporters

ASG - Lonex Springs

In the end it is a case of suck it & see I'm afraid

If you was local I'd offer to test your old spring in my uar and help "guess" or narrow down one that might be nigh on correct

still - at least you haven't got to open up the gearbox - park it by firing a few times on semi with lower 7.4v

pop the motor/grip etc....

remove/half remove gearbox to gain access - pop out old & in with new spring

test away & fingers crossed

best of luck

ASG - Lonex Springs

In the end it is a case of suck it & see I'm afraid

If you was local I'd offer to test your old spring in my uar and help "guess" or narrow down one that might be nigh on correct

still - at least you haven't got to open up the gearbox - park it by firing a few times on semi with lower 7.4v

pop the motor/grip etc....

remove/half remove gearbox to gain access - pop out old & in with new spring

test away & fingers crossed

best of luck

Cheers mate, this is the beast i'm looking to DMR up btw :D

Also changed out the poor pistol grip yesterday aswell and have the longer PTS skeleton foregrip, not sure which I prefer atm. The Acog is a 4x WE

995622_10153464860457551_422411661911664

Guest PT247

I tested many many springs in my SPR to get 400fps, think utilising a PDI 6.05 inner barrel I settled with an M125 spring and clipped it slightly then heated the end of the spring till it went red and flattened it, after that I quenched it and dremelled the end perfect. I also tried an M150 spring paired with an Orga 6.23 WBB and got 350fps ish and was pretty happy with the result but I wanted range so DMR'd it. I have both an SPR top receiver and a PDW top receiver and normally utilise the PDW as it is a better all rounder with 350fps

Archived