Clarification of UKARA stuff (and hi)

Hidden Hippo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi everyone,

Fairly long time lurker here. I used to play a bit during the inception of the VCRA (back in the old days when it was still the VCRB). Before starting to play again, I was hoping to clarify a few things on that act and get some general advice.

So, the most important legal parts of it:

1. In order to qualify for membership of the UKARA I must play 3 games at a registered site within 2 months/56 days.

2. This will then give me a specific statutory defence to purchasing a RIF under s36 VCRA.

Am I correct in my interpretation here?

My second question regarding UKARA is this - is there an expiry date, or is it a case of once a member, always a member?

Now onto the fun bit, I'd really like to get back into it, as I say I used to play when I was 15/16, but the VCRB debate put me off (as well as going to college/university etc.). How do most people start out nowadays? Do most get their own goggles/protection rather than use site stuff or just wait until they get their UKARA stuff throug and get the whole lot? I've also noticed from having a quick look around some of the old known sites (Zero One etc.) there seem to be a lot more manufacturers than there used to be - are the Chinese imitations still rubbish and should you stick to the TM/ICS/CA-type brands, or are there decent cheaper alternatives.

Finally (phew), where are the good sites in Bristol? I know of Bristol airsoft down in the centre (it was in fact walking past there that made me want to start again), but are there any others? I used to do woodland stuff when I was younger, but never really got the chance to play and CQB stuff (most seemed to be too far/over 18 etc.).

Thanks everyone.

Ben

• Supporters

no, the time period is no less than 2 months (taking 1 month = 4 weeks) this means the games can be played in a MINIMUM time of 9 weeks, up to a year since the first skirmish

Expiry date is 1 year from gaining site membership, but if you renew memberhip, the UKARA will continue for that time

and yes, It is a legitimate defence under S36

personally, I would buy my own goggles, camo, webbing and things, whislt hiring - you usually get equipment better suited to you then.

this gives you time to find a gun you want.

The only cheaper brand I would recommend as an overall thing is SRC, but with some other brands doing very good in certain areas (Dboys - Scar, Galaxy - MP5 series)

but if you can afford to, always go for a better brand from the get go.

Aah, must have misread it. I thought it had to be within 2 months, but it is in fact 3 games within the first year of getting stamped, but must be over 2 months or more?

That helps a lot.

With regards goggles, are there any decent ones which can take a prescription lens? My brother-in-law is an optician, so he can get the lenses made, but I'd rather not have to buy prescription ballistic lenses.

Thanks again.

Haha, ask Matt! about this, he would most likely know what me and you need!

• Supporters

since ive just sorted mine i may be of use for a change :P since it isnt worded very well on the ukara website, ill try to remove the confusion ;)

as long as there are 2 complete months between your first stamp, and your last, then you are fine however if you are under by even a day it will bounce back.

so to give some dates as an example, say your first stamp was today 06/02/11 aslong as your third stamp is after the 06/04/11 you have met the 'requirement'. your second stamp can be anywhere between those 2 dates

hope this helps :)

Finally (phew), where are the good sites in Bristol?

Bristol Airsoft is a great site. I've been gong there for the past few months now and been having great fun. The rental weapons on offer are a shotgun (cant remember model/brand) and a Classic Army M15A4. Face proctection is provided aswell. It's a brilliant CQB site.

I'd highly recommend going there! Walk on is £20, hire is £40. But for first timers at the site you get 25% off!

Archived