Comms/radios

WoodfordWolf
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

PMR446 radios do not require a license to use, unlike the VHF/UHF BaoFeng radios.

Me and a group of about 6-7 of us use Kenwood's TK3301 & TK3201 radios. They're great for on-the-field communication, but when at larger events (such as NAE) it isn't always easy to communicate to base camp when at the other end of the game area.

Another option is to get the BaoFengs along with a license for them. This would mean you could have radios which have a power greater than 0.5w, also you could have detachable aerials (useful for larger aerials at base camp, or designated long-range comms). I'm not entirely sure about the licensing process for groups, I've heard it costs £75 or so for 5 years, but don't quote me on that - there's plenty of information on the forums or perhaps Ofcom's site.

The main issue I see is that (as people have said before) many players use the PMR446 frequencies, the BaoFengs could not legally be used with these as their minimum power is often greater than 0.5w.

Archived