Shotgun certificate >= UKARA Membership?

EzPrey
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

I've taken part in a few skirmishes but usually spaced out over a year or two, so have never registered with a club as the guys I go with choose different sites each time. I wouldn't ask them to purchase for me as that is a definite no no, but I am at a point where I have more spare time and would like to buy an airsoft weapon and get more involved.

My question is as the subject suggests, that I have a valid shotgun certificate and own 3 real shotguns which are used for clay pigeon shooting which is my main sport. So... I am licensed by the regional police force firearms department to keep/purchase/use shotguns & ammunition (somewhat more lethal than a 350fps airsoft gun) for sporting purposes which I have done for many years. Would this satisfy an airsoft retailer that I wasn't a gun nut about to hold up a petrol station with an RIF airsoft gun or do I still need to gain UKARA membership to avoid having to buy my first airsoft gun in luminous green?

• AF-UK Founding Member

I doubt they'd still sell it to you since it is still against the law. You could always ask though :)

Be a lot easier just to get the UKARA, it's a good excuse to have to go and play airsoft lots! :D

Thanks for the reply, I guess that's true. I might ask the question of a retailer and see what they say, don't ask, don't get. I might drop the question to UKARA as it's not listed in their FAQ's, although it does say that even members of the armed forces would need to apply for membership, but doesn't specifically answer this question.

I'll update here if I get a definitive answer.

• Supporters

no it doesnt. you will have to be UKARA registered im afaid. there completly different, i would advise you look up on the UKARA bill aswell if you get more confused.

• 1 month later...

Even police firearms officers cant buy them without being on the ukara database. Just start turning up to skirmishes and talk to a few people, always someone with a loner or hire until you can get onto the database yourself.

Its the same with me, I`m a reenactor, have been since leaving airsoft a few years back, i have photo id, group membership and public liability insurance but cant buy a RIF from a local dealer as i`m not UKARA signed, i can buy RIF`s from other places just not my local Airsoft shop, funny that.

• 8 months later...

I am really sorry but that simply cant be right how can it be that I can own a 12 gauge shotgun and 2 308 target rifles and not buy airsoft guns

this means that I bourght all my guns illegaly and as that might be the case the dealers who sold them too me are UKARA registered if it changes it aswell as my firearms licence they also asked to see my site membership card

• 1 month later...

I asked my firearms officer the same question while he was checking another gun cabinet because I have an SGC and a section 1 Firearms cert and he said the same as the other guys, NO which in our position is a bit saft I think but having said that I still agree with most but not all of the conditions and reasons for the VCR act,

So if that helps that answer was direct from the FLO at West Midlands police.

• 1 month later...

Never get the two mixed up...

In fact don't go Airsofting if you have real guns......

The first rule..... Don't point a gun at anyone unless you intend to use it....

If you are used to real guns then this might be a big mistake.....

A massive accident waiting to happen.....

Leave the Airsoft stuff for the Fantisy Kids....

Yeah OK Jersey Chairsoft... I know that you will take offence to this....

Can't think of another way to put this though......

Archived