Little Things That Annoy You In Airsoft

GeneralKimbo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

That vid annoys me a little, kudos to the guy for getting the kills. it does show you need to be alert, even in the rear guard position or near spawn.

However, I would be a little pissed off if that was me as he does not look or act like a game player. sneaking up behind a group and knife killing them is fine and good.

Taking off your gear, walking up for a chat and slyly taking them out like that does seem a little unsportsmanly. Almost similar to taking out a hi vis or a old camera and pretending to be a marshal or camera man.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh with the OP question "Things that annoy you in Airsoft" I do have to say: People who play with grey areas of rules to get an advantage annoys me. 

I hear the same statement repeated all the time that "Airsoft is a game of honor" but if people find loop holes or grey areas then exploit them for your their own gains, that begs the rhetorical question "Are you acting with fairness & Integrity?" which really is the definition of Honor. 

I don't know maybe I'm rambling sh*te, but it does annoy me to see seasoned players getting one up on kids & Noobs by using stuff like grey areas to win a game. 

Like taking your gear off and talking to the enemy like your a casual observer and knife killing them? ;) 

People who jack your radio frequency. Following on from the 'airsoft is a game of honour' thing, nothing worse than people *coughcoughnewzealanderscough* taking advantage of the fact that we don't have military grade encryption on our radio's to channel surf and listen in on the other sides command frequency, or flood them with nuisance transmissions.

2 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

Like taking your gear off and talking to the enemy like your a casual observer and knife killing them? ;) 

That’s the bit of the ‘no armband’ vs ‘armband’ in that video I don’t like 

He wasn’t cheating, but being sneaky - and assisted by lax identity

if there was a valid team identification then fair game

1 minute ago, Tommikka said:

That’s the bit of the ‘no armband’ vs ‘armband’ in that video I don’t like 

He wasn’t cheating, but being sneaky - and assisted by lax identity

if there was a valid team identification then fair game

Thats why I kind of admire him, it was clever, but underhand. 

If he had got behind them in his gear like a ninja obviously looking like he was playing then it would have been an awesome vid.

By ditching the gear and walking up talking to people like he is an observer or not involved in the game is not quite cricket in my opinion!

• Supporters

Those underhand grey areas are the best part. I have had two sites change game rules now because people got umpy that we listened and used our brains and they didn't. 

What I don't like is sites that change the rules half way through the game to try and help the losing team. That sucks.

Think this was a good thread for me to read before I goto my first skirmish tomorrow....

Seems there are many gripes, with many that can just be attributed to a persons 'personal' feelings ie, what bothers one wont necessarily bother another...... and there are many gripes that seem to resonate with a majority of the people here (cheating - people turning up without any social skills etc)....

Still too early in my airsofting career to have developed any personal gripes of my own (don't worry, will post when I have some) however from this thread I have condensed what I've read down the following (tried to keep it simple) for my first go tomorrow which will hopefully see me right:

*Take my hits (no tears/moaning)

*Use common sense at all times (which should hopefully mean I wont end up causing the many listed gripes I've read here

*Employ sound social skills......aka don't be a bell... be respectful.... not my fault if someone else cant do the same.... just feel sorry for them

*and very important....enjoy getting out the daily drag of work/life etc and enjoy what looks to be a very cool sport

Cheers

Gaz

Yeah, just enjoy your time there and don't worry too much about what the others get up to.

Personally I disagree with the sneaky tactics because if everyone behaved like that it would turn to chaos. It shouldn't be about the kills but more the teamwork.

• Supporters

Yup.  We all like to inflate incidents, but really my experience has been very positive so far.

I'd say the two biggest things to bear in mind are:

If in doubt, take the hit.  "Ricochets" can be an enemy behind you, or friendly fire, or a marshal test shooting: they all count, so take it if you're in any doubt at all.  Even take misses. I've had a few cases where I'm convinced that someone has missed at point blank range, but they're just as sure that they couldn't have.  Best to just take the "hit" cheerfully to keep them happy.  And I do mean cheerfully, there's no point in taking it but being huffy about it, even if they're being shoutyface.  Do unto others, and all that. A thumbs up doesn't go amiss (a middle finger might). Karma will deal with it.

Don't assume you're hitting.  The magic of hop-up can make it look like you're shooting a laser, but it can be hard to spot the point where your BBs run out of puff and drop abruptly.  So even if it looks like someone is clearly in range and ignoring hits, it's not always the case.  Either keep shooting them, find another target, or move on. If you are sure that someone is blatantly ignoring hits, don't get worked up about it.  Just take yourself out of the game, find a marshal, clearly identify the person (better than "the guy over there in camo") and politely[*] suggest that they could do with checking them out, then laugh it off.  You might not have been hitting them.

[*] Oh, the third thing of two: most marshals will be volunteers, it's please-and-thank-you for them taking time out from playing themselves.

4 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Yup.  We all like to inflate incidents, but really my experience has been very positive so far.

I'd say the two biggest things to bear in mind are:

If in doubt, take the hit.  "Ricochets" can be an enemy behind you, or friendly fire, or a marshal test shooting: they all count, so take it if you're in any doubt at all.  Even take misses

I would personally disagree with you on this. 

Im not saying I am bullet proof but my sites clearly state ricochets do not count. Same way with misses, if your close and you miss thats your fault not mine, I shall shoot you and move on. this has happened before and actually I have been the one 'missing' when my pistol misfired at the mall once. The enemy just smiled, put two in my chest and went on with his day. I was annoyed but at my gun not him! I would have done the same...

I mean take friendly fire and indirect hits yes, but im not going to take bbs that have trickled down through the foliage above me and bounces off me as they were not directly hitting me. 

I have taken my fair share of dubious hits and have even defended a corridor with a enemy player for a few mins before we both realised, we laughed it off shook hands and went our separate ways rather than lighting each other up!

I've enjoyed reading this thread and thought I would add a couple. 

People shooting at you from 50 metres with their AEG and screaming "Take your f*ing hits" as the BBs drop to earth midway between you. 

People wearing plate carriers who you hit 3 or 4 times and all they say is "I'm not sure you hit me I got my plates in." If in doubt take a hit. I sometimes wear a plate carrier and you generally 

know if you've been hit. Like I say, if in doubt take a hit.

And my favourite, hiding in trees, getting shot but not calling out HIT like the site rules say and just raising your arm (which no one can see because your in the trees) and staying put, then going third world on everyone when they light you up again. Like I said to the bloke. Call your Hit or shout Dead man walking, although It was good fun to see a bloke dressed as a USMC Recon Marine have a hissy fit like my 7 year old. Priceless.

CBH

My local site actually had specific rules in place stating that pretending to be out our not playing then using that to get a kill because "you didn't ask" is against the rules and I have to agree that it's sh*tty. I've seen in milsim events were it's an insurgent force against NATO where being underhanded and using guerrilla tactics are expected but in a general skirmish it's just feels like taking advantage of people good nature.

About these "sneaky" kills..

I still remember an episode from last year..

I was playing with another team since it was the first Sunday of the year (3rd/4th of January, most of our guys were still on holiday), I had a few accidents with cheaters throughout the day, in the last game I was in a 1 v 2 situation, I hit one of the enemies and turned it into a 1v1.. I was flanking the remaining guy when suddenly all the dead players walked by me, followed by the last enemy..

I noticed him and shot him, this guy got insta-triggered and started screaming "you can't hide among dead players! You cheater!"...

I was quite amazed by this person, at first I hesitated to say anything, but then I answered: well mate, it was not me moving using a bunch of dead players as cover.

I then called myself out even though the game was over, walked to my car and went home.

This guy was the team's president, after that day I swore I'd never, ever play with these idiots again.. I'd rather stay at home when my team doesn't play..

But yeah, at the end of the day you're there to have fun, don't let crap like this spoil your day ;)

Someone's being a dick? Move on.

• Supporters
17 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

I would personally disagree with you on [ricochets and even taking close range misses where someone is convinced they've hit you]

... for a first game, is what I meant, but didn't say.  You never get a second chance to make a first impression, is all, and it's not like you're going to have much context for distinguishing between legit grievances and dry-firing bawbags first time out.  I know I didn't.

35 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

... for a first game, is what I meant, but didn't say.  You never get a second chance to make a first impression, is all, and it's not like you're going to have much context for distinguishing between legit grievances and dry-firing bawbags first time out.  I know I didn't.

ahhh the amount of times I would have been teamkilled if it weren't for rentals not winding their mags... 

• Supporters

Apologies if it's been done, but REMFs who never stop bawling for the folk in front of them to move up.

Although I'd class that as amusement rather than annoyance.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Apologies if it's been done, but REMFs who never stop bawling for the folk in front of them to move up.

Although I'd class that as amusement rather than annoyance.

THIS!

had a situation where we were effectively pinned and this weekend warrior comes racing up behind us and shouts "you, you you and you what are you doing stuck here follow me NOW!" and races out from behind cover only to get lit up.

Naturally we pissed ourselves laughing at him as he walked back passed blaming us for him getting shot.

• Mostly Retired Moderators

Agreed, folks who reckon they're Dick Winters annoy the piss out of me.

You've paid the same amount of money as I have, you can't boss me about mate.

You can suggest tactics, which I may choose to agree with / follow, but I'm not leaping to your order. Get out.

In the spirit of being 'that guy', can I submit people who don't move up for consideration? Put down your torches and pitchforks guys, theres a story to this:

Specifically, this is one for the squad I was leading at a milsim last year. Out platoon was launching an assault agaist an enemy-held villiage, and we're more or less boxed out of the target zone. I could see that just plinking away the the enemy from the tree-line wasn't going to crack the villiage open, so I concocted a plan to assault the building nearest the tree line in order to provide a safe route for our forces into the villiage and hopefully crack it from there. All this I explained to my squad of 5, a carefully laid plan complete with diagrams of who would fire as they moved to suppress which windows as we advanced. We made ready, moved off with myself at the head and I got halfway across the field before being shot from several windows. Wondering what had happened, I turned around and found that they had all hit the dirt the moment the first BB had come their way and made it a total of about 10 metres, leaving me charging the rest of the way myself.

Sometimes you just gotta move up, or at least don't leave you squad leader charging accross the field alone like an idiot :P

• Head Moderator
5 minutes ago, Spectre77 said:

Sometimes you just gotta move up, or at least don't leave you squad leader charging accross the field alone like an idiot :P

You go first, I’ll cover you. ^_^

• Mostly Retired Moderators
11 minutes ago, Spectre77 said:

milsim 

This is the key word in your post.

I'd expect to be given orders at a MilSim.. if I ever wanted to go to a MilSim that is. 

But at your standard airsoft game. No sir.

59 minutes ago, L3wisD said:

This is the key word in your post.

I'd expect to be given orders at a MilSim.. if I ever wanted to go to a MilSim that is. 

But at your standard airsoft game. No sir.

To right. Back at regen if someone comes up with a plan I like I'll join them and run with it. Otherwise you're on your own pale face :D

Archived