be gentle with me !!

stevil

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

i have been a lurker on here for a while now, but due to work commitments and health i havent ventured past my garden with my guns yet.

i am looking forward to my first skirmish, but as i also suffer from social anxiety i am nervous too :(

as a general rule of thumb, how welcoming are others to newbies, i know you guys on the forum have been great, and have read many posts helping new players and answering silly questions. but face to face is different to sitting behind a keyboard.

my first game will be more then likely at skirmish billericay or airsoft plantation, as i live near lakeside, essex.

i am really sorry for such a rambling post, but i need to get out and shoot, and meet people as part of me helping myself to move forward

thanks in advance for any comments

It's fine, if you just turn up, someone will say 'hey' or 'nice gun, what is it?' There's a good site in billericay - infact, even if you ask someone else "nice gun, what is it" should spark some talk. But generally playing the skirmish, you'll find yourself in a building, with a teammate surrounded or something likewise, and that person will speak, about a plan etc..

It will happen, people have a soul :)

Good luck my friend!

You will be fine mate. Just go down and in no time you will be chatting to people and having a laugh in no time. Hope you enjoy matey.

Hi there Stevil, you'll be doing great mate. I had my first game few weeks back and I went alone, went in a corner for the first few minutes and after slowly started chatting with the guys, the organizers who ever stumbled into me. As a tip I would suggest to come really early so you will be first to arrive so that you'll be the one that will receive a salute when others arrive, doing so you could engage into a friendly chat. Best of luck and have fun.

Hi there Stevil, you'll be doing great mate. I had my first game few weeks back and I went alone, went in a corner for the first few minutes and after slowly started chatting with the guys, the organizers who ever stumbled into me. As a tip I would suggest to come really early so you will be first to arrive so that you'll be the one that will receive a salute when others arrive, doing so you could engage into a friendly chat. Best of luck and have fun.

This is exactly what I did, when I rolled up as a lone ranger. People will chat to you. I was fairly nervous too. But, do turn up earlier, it also helps you familiarize yourself with the folks running the event and your new surroundings (home?). That first day can be a bit overwhelming, but when you get into the game and your having fun in the field and working with your team it will all come together (it was the afternoon for me). Forgive yourself of any mistakes or lapses (dumb moments). People will laugh them off :) It's all just good honest fun! By the end of the day some guys were saying, "hold this, pull the trigger!" "How'd you like the kick?" "Have a look through the scope!" "You think you'll come back!?" "Nice try storming that shack like you're Rambo, shame it didn't work out, Lolz."

I had a really good first experience. I'm sure you will too.

...roll on Saturday (2nd game day :D) !!

hi looks like i could throw a stone and it will land near you :P i live up the road from there

i go to billericay which aint too bad usually go with the brother in law but had to bite the bullet and go on my own one time proper nervous

in kinda the same boat with the anxiety.

started taking magnesium for it and its helped

but if you ever go billericay say hi im the guy that sit in the far back corner left side looking like a moody git :D

Sometimes you have to go a few times. I noticed when I started that even if you talk to people, they will answer you politely but then dismiss you as they go off into their teams and cliques for the game.

Identify individuals that might also be on their own rather than groups of guys.

I found the safe zone to be a good place to mix, before the game or during lunch. After I went a few times to AWA to get my initial UKARA, some people who I spoke to previously would acknowledge me and even invite me to set up next to them.

Bear in mind that people you speak to might not be there again.

I used to not like going to places on my own or starting conversations with strangers in unfamiliar places when I was younger but a working life of working overseas on my own and having to address large groups of strangers has made me realise that I no longer give a *uck what people think of me.

Also, very importantly, remember that airsoft attracts a wide cross section. Most players have some sort of issues (hey we're grown men spending Sunday hunting each other with toy guns), so dont fall into the trap of thinking everybody else is an Arnie Terminator indestructable and its just you.

Welcome to the airsoft circus.

Failing that, what does it matter. Once youre playing, it doesnt matter.

Airsoft is certainly more fun with familiar faces and social interaction.

Failing that, come up to Tuddenham on a milsim lite day and we'll sort you out.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.