Battlefield 5 - The Great War vs. the Second World War

skarra333
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

BF5 Setting  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which setting would you like for BF5?

• Great War
    • Second World War

So I'm bored at work and have been reading the rumors that suggest Battlefield 5 - set for release October 2016 - will definitely be returning to a Military themed game (as opposed to the Hardline), but there are conflicting reports that it will be either Great War based or Second World War...

Which would you prefer? Would you be happy with either? Do you think one or the other would be a mistake?

Thoughts?

• Supporters

Too much death and imbalance in the great war, would be foolish to take such a large franchise there.

Really? Endlessly taking and retaking the same 100yards of dirt? Sounds like a standard game of battlefield to me! :)

Have to be honest id be disappointed if it was either of them.

Id much rather that be DLC and the theme of BF4 continued.

I have grown to hate the newer COD games due to the futuristic nature of them and that has moved me onto the older COD games and BF4

Much the same I wouldn't buy it if based in the past I am a here and now guy :)

Have to be honest id be disappointed if it was either of them.

Id much rather that be DLC and the theme of BF4 continued.

I have grown to hate the newer COD games due to the futuristic nature of them and that has moved me onto the older COD games and BF4

Much the same I wouldn't buy it if based in the past I am a here and now guy :)

BF2142 was one of the best!

Really? Endlessly taking and retaking the same 100yards of dirt? Sounds like a standard game of battlefield to me! :)

I was thinking about something else actually.

I think WW1 would be a really refreshing departure. I think In ways it would slow the game down, but only to the degree of BF1942 - and that was just fantastic.

And the potential appeals to me...

Levolution through mammoth mine explosions, cavalry replacing quad bikes, tanks that don't handle better than a Corsa, gas attacks instead of cruise missiles, artillery barrages that would make the M142 look like a musket, weapon mounted bayonet melee duels, carrier pidgeon comms and of course, a naval element not seen since 1942.

• 4 weeks later...

There's always the problem of that we the players of come to expect alot of customisation options in an FPS. As you can imagine this puts developers who are passionate about making an FPS set in an older era in a bit of a frustrating scenario. Now as a didn't have all the fancy hoo-haa for our weapons in WW1/2 I would like to propose a solution that will reward the skilled player in a similar way that today's attachments would do so. So for example modern day shooter so kills with a gun gets you a red dot sight or something. So I propose we make it more skill based for starters any old sock can fall 10 men. I would suggest a greater number of 50 or so. Or 20 skill kills e.g. headshot. Now what your all interested in. What doing this would actually get you if not a red dot? I would make the unlockable attachments items such as more powerful ammunition for that particular weapon or a longer/more accurate barrel. So instead of externals internals. As for external upgrades name carving or kill carving into the weapon.

• Head Moderator

WW2 because battlefield needs vehicles and animating horses is literally impossible to do right :o

In WW1 they did have armoured cars, omnibuses, tanks, bi-planes, baloons, bicycles, so lots of great transport options ;)

Three quarters of all BF weapon attachments are the same anyway. We really don't need 6 different types of silencers per weapon.

But the game isn't designed that way because people want custom weapons IMO. The psychology of game design says that levelling up or unlocking attachments is little more than the cheese in a hamster maze - its just a reward to keep people playing. There are plenty of other ways to do this in BF - be it WW1 OR 2...

Got 50 headshots, have a 3 day pass in Paris - complete with GTA style hooker cutscene,

Got 30 mêlée kills - get a letter from home that boosts your morale, and lets you absorb more hurt before death - cus you're so pumped up by zeal for the motherland.

Got 15 kills from a single Gas attack - here, have yourself a gas mask that leaks less making you less susceptible to them yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporters

As long as it works, rather than the total balls up BF4 was.

BF4 worked fine.

Eventually.

This actually annoyed the shit out of me at launch. Everyone moaning about how BF4 was shit because it had issues having completely forgotten what an utter shit-show BF3 was when IT came out. Peoples memories these days....

I must admit that I play a bit of a game called Verdun occasionally, and I find it great fun, so it is possible to make a WW1 game interesting,

my vote would be either a WWI or 2142 spin off, WWII fine and dandy, but as has been mentioned before has been done to death.

To be fair, even BF2 had its issues, no launch ever really goes without a glitch, and BF3 was very poor, but at least it was acknowledged that it didnt work.

The head in the sand approach about BF4 just made me lose all interest. And buy airsoft guns to do it for real (if the wife asks).

• 5 weeks later...

So, for any that don't know as yet - the next setting has been revealed... The Great War.

Reveal trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ I admit, i had a trouser accident when I saw it (the good kind).

Thoughts?

Yep - mine is creaking so badly that it couldn't even run SW: Battlefront. This though, I'll fork out for.

Can't wait for this. I just want to sit on a machine gun in a trench and wipe wave after wave of Englishmen out.

I doubt they will address the components of the war where there was a severe imbalance of technology and respondent battlefield tactics.

Yep the trailer looked good but then again so did the one for the trashy Star Wars Battlefront! Looked a little steam-punked, hope this isn't the case.

Was exactly what I thought too

• Supporters

I'm surprised they are going with a WW1 setting, but quite interested to see what they do with it. Also keeping my fingers crossed that they finally release a Battlefield game with properly balanced planes :)

Can't wait for this. I just want to sit on a machine gun in a trench and wipe wave after wave of Englishmen out.

2prPEeZ.jpg

• Supporters

Looked a little steam-punked, hope this isn't the case.

Really? How so?

Archived