Should the UK leave the EU?

skarra333
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 1973, after being lied to by Ted Heath, the UK was conned in to voting to stay in the EEC, i.e. the Common Market. We did not vote to be governed by Europe (our fathers and grandfathers fought a war to stop that happening) or to allow un-elected EU civil servants to decide what laws or regulations should take precedence in the UK. There is nothing wrong with having the EU countries as trading partners, but there is a very real issue with having them as overlords of our country. Anyone who votes to remain will be ensuring that their children and grandchildren will be nothing more than prisoners of the evil that is the 4th Reich. Better to get out now than remain one day longer.

I think you got mixed up with voting for Donald trump tbh.

Together we stand united divided we fall just like the Scottish referendum

Maybe a little bit of a hyperbole overdose there man.

Were you alive in 1973? Have you any idea what it was like to live in a country ruled by our own elected government and not by a bunch of over-paid foreign criminals? We might as well have let the Nazis walk all over us in 1940 and occupy the country, because there sure as hell isn't any difference between that and being ruled by the EU Commission.

• Root Admin

Were you alive during the world wars that you so haphazardly try to incorporate into your point? Given that I lived in the middle east for 5 years, I'd say I'm well acquainted with what it's like to live in countries full of actual incompetent and corrupt officials that have complex and altogether too intimate relationships with other countries in the GDC - the UK and Europe isn't anything like that (not even close). Don't reach straight for the most extreme example that you can find - it doesn't add merit to your argument at all; just makes you look like an someone who's dredging up the small amount of knowledge that he's far too emotionally tied to to make an actual sensible point. You've admitted yourself that the EEC of old is nothing like the EC of today, so why do you say the UK was 'conned' into participating in it? We've had just as much input in Brussels as any other member state. The fact that is was adsorbed into the EC is what you should be making a point about; where have the Nazis come from all of a sudden?

You're comparing a relentless right-wing fascist dictatorship responsible for the deaths of millions of innocent people with the arguably overly-aggressive federalisation of Europe. Learn how to contrast realistic real-world examples, not make an argument laced with silly rhetoric that's easy to make fun of. There are some decent points in this thread on both sides, but yours isn't one of them.

The reason I say we were conned is because Ted Heath and the other politicians knew full well what was intended for the EEC, but chose to keep that information from the voters, exactly as David Cameron is doing now with his much vaunted new deal. There is no way that the EU will allow anyone to make it re-organise along the lines that Cameron is trying to tell us it will, as there is too much vested interest in most of the other countries to allow that to happen. You just have to look at the time it has taken to not sort out the massive inequalities in the Common Agricultural Policy to know that the major players in the EU will not allow the UK to achieve anything other than the most minor changes to EU policy and then only as a way of keeping us on-board and paying a massive share of the EU budget, that has yet to be signed off by the auditors in any year as being legitimate.

And so what if you lived in the Middle East. Those countries are known worldwide for being totally corrupt, so cannot in any sense be equated to living within Europe, which is supposed to be democratic and civilised.

• 3 months later...
  • Head Moderator

A very close referendum vote. So the easy part is over and now the much harder aspect of actually leaving the EU begins.

And a change of PM to make sure that we go forward... Boris?

• Supporters

Was quite shocked we pulled it off to leave EU

very shocked to see Cameron resign - why do so many leaders bail as soon as things don't go their way ?

Corbyn - well I hate to admit but I respected his honesty about having some reservations 75% in favour of remain

I had has this pic ready for my new profile if we stayed in but I will offer to the Remain supporters as this probably is how half the country would feel anyway...

2r6gvts.jpg

I am not gonna get into a slagging match, I thought it would go the other way tbh like many did like bookies & financial lot

but I'm more interested in how the EU & others react to this bombshell

soz but I have played the Mars "Believe" ad a few times but Mrs Duck is not a happy EU voter and blames me (as per usual) for everything

FFS - blame the EU - if we all thought we was getting such a great deal we would of stayed...

but nope it is all my fault

Chill chaps, lets see how it all pans out - even if we remained, the cost of all this mud slinging & debate crap has run into millions & millions

That money could of been spent elsewhere - that is what saddens me in all of this plus the bull$hit from both sides

So damn close & so divided on this matter - but at least we might find out just how f*cked we might be or not be

Peace x x x

With the SNP calling for a referendum and the SNPs position on airsoft power limits of 300 fps the potential impact is a lot closer for Scottish airsofters.

So Cameron has cried off like a girl to leave the hard work to someone else, the Scots are banging their Indy drum again, the Irish are even having a go, and now there's French and Dutch politicians saying it's their turn

All in all, an eventful day so far, all we need to do is see bo-jo pit forward for PM and Putin to ask about taking the UKs place in the EU and I'll regret not getting the popcorn out

I'm deeply saddened by todays result, most of my friends at university are members of the EU (Greece, Germany, Cyprus, Romania) and I'm scared for their futures and my own.

Time to move down under me thinks

I'm deeply saddened by todays result, most of my friends at university are members of the EU (Greece, Germany, Cyprus, Romania) and I'm scared for their futures and my own.

Time to move down under me thinks

At least you're currently in uni and they'd have to try very hard to fuck it up too badly :(

Poor voted leave: Poor lose their workers rights cos of it

With the SNP calling for a referendum and the SNPs position on airsoft power limits of 300 fps the potential impact is a lot closer for Scottish airsofters.

I would take independence over Airsoft any day of the week. You seen how Scotland voted last night but it doesn't matter. We need out of this union so scots can decide what happens in Scotland.

Our school had a referendum and it was 98% remain...

I really hope Scotland and NI don't leave the UK but, I can see their reasoning. I don't think the leave voters realise what they have done.

Our school had a referendum and it was 98% remain...

I really hope Scotland and NI don't leave the UK but, I can see their reasoning. I don't think the leave voters realise what they have done.

It's a victory for stupidity, and the worst thing to happen in the UK in my lifetime.

It's a victory for stupidity, and the worst thing to happen in the UK in my lifetime.

ZgEXZ50.jpg

I would take independence over Airsoft any day of the week. You seen how Scotland voted last night but it doesn't matter. We need out of this union so scots can decide what happens in Scotland.

I am going to continue to keep my side of the debate around the impact on airsoft as I stated before.

I guess one other impact I didn't say before was access to games on the continent and EU players coming to our events. The big milsim events on the continent are pretty cool and my European friends have came over and played with me too. This is going to become harder in the future being outside of the EU we will probably need travel visa's for such an event and potentially a lot more paperwork for moving airsoft guns out of the country.

• Supporters

Irony is that was what the referendum was all about too - Be careful what you wish for as the saying goes.....

Sturgeon is wise to wait and see, Scotland going it alone could be like throwing more petrol and some live rounds on the fire for all of UK

I am going to continue to keep my side of the debate around the impact on airsoft as I stated before.

I guess one other impact I didn't say before was access to games on the continent and EU players coming to our events. The big milsim events on the continent are pretty cool and my European friends have came over and played with me too. This is going to become harder in the future being outside of the EU we will probably need travel visa's for such an event and potentially a lot more paperwork for moving airsoft guns out of the country.

It would no more difficult than getting a visa for turkey, all done online takes 5mins and costs about a tenner. No big deal really. Airlines decide how Airsoft guns get moved. I checked and to get a Airsoft gun in and out of the UK and USA is easy. The airline make it difficult as some refuse to carry them.

Irony is that was what the referendum was all about too - Be careful what you wish for as the saying goes.....

Sturgeon is wise to wait and see, Scotland going it alone could be like throwing more petrol and some live rounds on the fire for all of UK

The majority of no votes came from the over 60s. 16-45 were a majority yes. The UK is fucked now, NI want out and Scotland want out. That leaves England and Wales who are so dependent on England they may aswell be the county of Wales.

The majority of no votes came from the over 60s. 16-45 were a majority yes. The UK is f*cked now, NI want out and Scotland want out. That leaves England and Wales who are so dependent on England they may aswell be the county of Wales.

RDUvI9a.jpg

• Supporters

The majority of no votes came from the over 60s. 16-45 were a majority yes. The UK is f*cked now, NI want out and Scotland want out. That leaves England and Wales who are so dependent on England they may aswell be the county of Wales.

End of the day it doesn't really matter where the votes came from - everybody had a vote

If people don't like democracy when it doesn't go their way then maybe try North Korea

think the weather might be a bit better than Scotland this time of year

And though I genuinely feel sorry the Remain campaign and Scotland saying 2/3rd wanted to remain in EU

That is f*ck all compared to most of London who have a total population of about 50% more people than Scotland

AND further more up to 78.6% of many London boroughs voted to remain in EU

But still the democratic vote went to leave UK, this was a shock to nigh on most of the world not just UK

But 2 years ago, Scotland voted to stay in UK - not UK voted if Scotland should stay in UK but Scotland themselves alone

(and you was aware that a UK EU referendum "could" happen at some point perhaps)

Next the whole UK voted on the paper it clearly f*cking said should UK remain/leave the EU - not Scotland

So rather than get dragged into a bitching war further I'm gonna remind all of UK including Scotland & Northern Ireland

Be careful what you wish for....

&

What you want & what you get are often very different

Edit - not up to me to suggest stuff to Scotland - that is for you and Sturgeon to sort out

Wish you well whatever Scotland decides - no hard feelings

• Supporters

End of the day it doesn't really matter where the votes came from - everybody had a vote

If people don't like democracy when it doesn't go their way then maybe try North Korea

think the weather might be a bit better than Scotland this time of year

And though I genuinely feel sorry the Remain campaign and Scotland saying 2/3rd wanted to remain in EU

That is f*ck all compared to most of London who have a total population of about 50% more people than Scotland

AND further more up to 78.6% of many London boroughs voted to remain in EU

But still the democratic vote went to leave UK, this was a shock to nigh on most of the world not just UK

But 2 years ago, Scotland voted to stay in UK - not UK voted if Scotland should stay in UK but Scotland themselves alone

(and you was aware that a UK EU referendum "could" happen at some point perhaps)

Next the whole UK voted on the paper it clearly f*cking said should UK remain/leave the EU - not Scotland

So rather than get dragged into a bitching war further I'm gonna remind all of UK including Scotland & Northern Ireland

Be careful what you wish for....

&

What you want & what you get are often very different

Edit - not up to me to suggest stuff to Scotland - that is for you and Sturgeon to sort out

Wish you well whatever Scotland decides - no hard feelings

Worth remembering when bandying about phrases like "if people don't like democracy" the ones that wanted to stay in the eu didn't want a referendum in the first place.

Archived