What made you get yours?

Hubert
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

This is just something that I find interesting, why people selected the guns they have, or want to get.

Do you just like the real-steel weapon/family/system?

Is it the tactical advantage, or role it will give you in the field?

Does the design of the weapon make you think "I'd like to hang this up in an art gallery"?

Is it because you saw someone use it in a film or TV show and it was 'love at first sight'? (For the gun, not the shooter)

Did you first encounter it in a computer game, and want to carry/use something like it?

Or is the reasoning behind your selection completely random?

Like I said, this is just something that interests me.

For my L86, its a combination of an interest (...ok, obsession) with the real steel SA80 family - ever since I first saw one, aged 6, I've liked them. It's also the design. There's something about the SA80 (specifially the L86) design that really interests me, and I enjoy. Smooth lines and sweeping curves, and the nice matt-steel and olive plastics that really makes me think it looks wonderful.

Pistol wise, I love the Walther P99. I grew up with Brosnan as "my" James Bond, so grew up with the greatest secret agent using the P99. With first-generation P99s, I also think they look pretty good. Ergonomic too. A real joy to use.

As for the Sig P229 I'd like to get - it's whilst it's useful, I probably wouldn't be interested if it hadn't appeared as John Casey's main 'prop' in Chuck.

So - why do you like yours?

Great thread Hubert,

My obsession has to lay with the AUG. Ever since I picked up the gun (funnily) titled 'Meyer Bullpup' in 'The World is Not Enough' on N64, I was fascinated by the bullpup design of the AUG. I'd been very keen on them and always fancied one but at this point only dreamed of owning an airsoft AUG for 'possession' purposes. When I found a second hand one at a local Army Surplus store, I just couldn't resist it. Very glad I did or I'd probably not have been into airsoft right now!

I also like the MP5 family, particularly the MP5-SD series. A small weapon with such poignancy and renown within the world of secret military services.

Pistol wise, I love the Walther P99. I grew up with Brosnan as "my" James Bond, so grew up with the greatest secret agent using the P99. With first-generation P99s, I also think they look pretty good. Ergonomic too. A real joy to use.

Quoted for truth mate, quoted for truth. (I have a P99 springer with a laser pen superglued to the trigger guard) :lol:

• Supporters

my reason for the M4 - easy to get spares

my reason for the glock - easy maintainance, low cost, wanted a pistol

reasoning for dragunov - low price in decent nick, always wanted the A&K drag, £80 was perfect

reasoning for the M16VN - getting ukara, wanted an upgrade on the M4, also wanted something lighter... I WAS looking at the G36K but then the marui popped up on the forums at £75, I couldn't NOT have it

reasoning for the hi-capa - I like 'different' guns, and high capas have a HUGE selection of upgrades for me to experiment with

reason for the MP5 - SAS use 'em. SO19 use em. everyone uses 'em.... also, small size is perfect for CQB, they are well balanced and have the option of a variety of stock/foregrip options on the same reciever, so versatile.

I like guns with my heart, no douvt about that, but I buy with my head, I can justify all my spending, even if I cannot express that justification to other people.

My G36C, because it is a beautiful gun, I love them, all the G36s, also it's lefty friendly :P

The M3 Benelli, because who hasn't imagined themselves bursting into a room, SWAT style with a badass looking shotgun.

And I want a SIG P226 because it's just the most beautiful looking pistol in the world (although i'd settle for a USP Match too)

My MP5 - Mainly the use by the SAS and the look of it.

The reason for the M4 was mainly due to the game Americas Army on PC. I loved the fact it could be customised in such a dramatic way and it's something I've wanted to recreate.

I too want a P226 because of the look of it and the fact it's highly rated by McNab and Ryan in their books.

My 97b. Was looking around for a bullpup, had a real steal SA80 before, but did not want an airsoft one. Found the 97 and 97b on redwolfairsoft, and saw their mods to the 97b, and thought, yep thats for me. 6 months of saving later I had one.

Ak's, just because they are AK's, rough ready and I like the TTSKO camouflage that went with it!

My M4 because its ergonomic you can fire at great distances and have accuracy... but when you play CQB or urban, just collapse the stock and away you go.... im thinking of getting a folding stock for it though... for more or less the same reason

Before you sigh as soon as I say it... Read on.

My fascination with the Steyr AUG series started with Call of Duty. I just saw one laying there, and I thought 'why not?' and gave it a go. I instantly fell in love with it! I was an avid fan of Ultimate Force (the TV show) and sure enough, there was a whole episode in which the squad only used the AUG. They wiped out a whole army from one building with the Steyr rifles. I could only imagine this in airsoft and I just HAD to have one!

I scanned for an AUG H-BAR and found squat. I bought the A1 (Railed version) and slapped a scope on it. I dreamed of my rifle outputting supreme accuracy at long range. Two days later, Hexagon Productions released their H-BAR kit. Still saving!

I no I might sound a bit sad but i got the SG 552 Commando because of the Rainbow 6 Vegas Series on the xbox 360 and just loved killing terriosts with it with a great look and now feel :) but now is being repaired and im desperate for a tokyo mauri mk23 socom but still saving !! :)

P.S Hubert GREAT Thread

as someone else has said G36c's well they are left handed friendly, yay for me :) THEY ARE GERMAN!!! is there really anything that beats it now? oh and even better than JUST German, H&K!!! but the mags have a higher capacity (470) opposed to , the highest m4 cap mag i have seen, G&G's 450, ok 20 rounds, but the g&g ones are oddly shaped, longer than original M4/M16 mags

Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming!

REMSoft and elitebattlezoneFTW, don't worry, I consider video games a perfectly viable and acceptable way to see guns. I'm not a fan of all the snobbery over games like CoD, because in some cases films are just as innaccurate and silly - and, we all have to start somewhere. Vegas 2 is one of my favourite games, obviously my usual loadout is an L85 and a P99 :lol:

I mean, the first game I played with an SA80 and knew what it was (by name and image) was Rainbow 6 (one of the PS2 ones)

REMSoft, I too loved Ultimate Force. Great show, and I think it was what finally pushed me over the edge and convinced me to start 'softing. I prefer the two previous seasons though, back with Jamie and Pete :lol:

Getting the L86 did have some 'sense' behind it, I was after something long lasting and reliable, and easy to maintain ( :rolleyes: as Dave knows...). Took about 1 and a half years funds wise (and had AW not run out of JG G36s in Dec 2009, I probably wouldn't have it)

@Bluegill - I don't like the newer P99s. Ever since Smith&Wessern were allowed to make them, the P99 has, in my mind anyway, been desecrated by a bunch of blind morons. It looks hideous (all those rails, and corners) and is one of the most uncomfortable replicas I have ever held.

To be honest my first gun (acm g36c) was governed by two things the first price, hard to justify spending hundreds of pounds on a first gun especially when you have a baby! And the second being the poor poor quality of the rental guns available.

I will get a ultimate force inspired mp5 one day though :P

• Supporters

I'm an AK person.

I've never really put much thought into why, until now.

First of all, when I played my first game, my best friend gave me his battered CYMA AK to play with, and obviously, the first love always feels the strongest.

He let me keep it, and I kept working on it till it was arguably the nicest weapon regularly on site. Then I started exploring the world of AK customisation, starting with a JG Krinkov and ending up with something that resembled frankensteins monster (It was a spetz with an M249 outer barrel and a folding stock, mostly). That for me was the thing that kept me going back to the AK. I could stick anything on one and find a way to make it look right and with my short attention span, a gun which could be changed regularly, easily and cheaply was ideal.

In terms of the less "romantic" reasons, the AK system is easy to get spare parts for, simple to get to pieces and back together, generally easy to sort out, they usually run forever with minimal maintenance and they skirmish really well (decent ROF, no weird battery types, high mag capacity).

Oh, and whilst most of my fellow players at the time wasted money on RIS systems for their guns, since I had an AK, I felt it was appropriate to just tape stuff on, which made it a very cheap weapon to accessorise.

Cheers folks!

He let me keep it, and I kept working on it till it was arguably the nicest weapon regularly on site. Then I started exploring the world of AK customisation, starting with a JG Krinkov and ending up with something that resembled frankensteins monster (It was a spetz with an M249 outer barrel and a folding stock, mostly). That for me was the thing that kept me going back to the AK. I could stick anything on one and find a way to make it look right and with my short attention span, a gun which could be changed regularly, easily and cheaply was ideal.

I would love to see this gun if its not to much of a pain in the backside, it sounds really interesting. Have you got any photos :)

• Supporters

I sold it when I came to University, but the gentleman who bought it from me should be getting some photos for me in the next few days (I want to build another, he loves it too much to sell back to me, despite being offered twice what I sold for), I'll upload them when I get them :)

• Supporters

I've photoshopped together a rough idea of what my gun looked like, which is below:

AK.jpg

In reality, the body was darker and all steel instead of plastic, the top cover was the bumped type. There was a scope rail mounted (real AK fittings type) and a dogtag welded onto the side not shown which had a russian emblem on.

The wood grips were darker/real hardwood and the barrel was slightly longer. Batteries were held in a pouch strapped to the stock.

In terms of things you can't see here, it also had the "tactical component kit" as found here: Clicky, and this kit as well: RG108 Launcher, which nicely supplemented the GP30. I was also using a genuine AK sling with it whenever I did use a sling.

Internally, it ran off a sawn down M249 tightbore (file to prevent loss of accuracy or damage to BBs), a pro-win CNC hop-up chamber and a tuned up gear box using systema and element parts.

When I get proper pictures, I'll put them up, but I hope that gives you an idea of what it was :)

P.s: Hubert, sorry for what appears to have become a bit of a "threadjacking", wasn't intentional!

For me, it was mainly due to films/tv series

Black Hawk Down for my M4 (although i do realise that the 'Delta Boys' used CAR15 but hey, they basically look the same) and Generation Kill, though saying that, i love how egonomic (being, in my opinion, very easy and comfy to handle) it is with all the different types and varients as well!

For my MP5, i must have liked it after seeing both Ultimate Force and SWAT! :D

Also, hooray! First post in about 4 months!

Finius, that Ak looks gorgeous - I can only imagine how ace the 'real' thing was.

Joe, I think the word you're looking for is ergonomic.

I have to admit that I like the appearance of the AR-15 family, especially after watching BHD. Again...

But, I disagree on the ergonomic factor. Whenever I've used an M4 (or atleast yours and Daves) I've always worried that its going to snap. So flimsy and plasticy. Though, that could be due to me usually carrying a lump of welded steel around. And the mag is in the wrong place, everytime I've had to reload I've tried to work out why the magazine isn't in the stock :lol:

I'm tempted to try and recreate the M4A1 and M68 RDS from BHD and Battlefield 2, as it is really growing on me...

I see a few other people have seen Ultimate Force - anyone else?

Meh, im sure you keyboard is considerably bigger than mine (whay!), since im on my iPhone

Also, the only reason you thought they were gonna break is cos they were:

a) JG

B) Plastic bodied not metal

c) And only £120...

You should see my snazzy new KWA M4! :D

And concerning the BHD gun... DO IT!

The reason I got my first M4 was based on pragmatism. Lots of internals and spares and I like how the weapon is balanced and its capacity to evolve with the necessities of an operator.

The pistol I got is a TM desert Warrior (1911). The reason I had to buy it was simple. 9 or 10 years ago, when I first started to play airsoft, I had a 1911 springer. Loved the ergonomics, safety features, trigger etc. Afterwards, when I decided to buy the TMDE, I had already tried glocks, sigs, berettas and none gave the feel and the shooting position of a 1911. Instant buy when I found one.

When choosing a gun, for me there is nothing romantic. It's a tool, it's gotta function and perform up-to-spec.

If it's a M4, AK47 or a YMCAXPTOCAMELBAK31A1 doesn't concern me much.

Archived