The Current State of UK Airsoft Magazines

Dentonboy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

AA introduced me to two local sites previously unknown to me.

AI introduced me to the STAR M14 SOPMOD and I bought one off of their photographer via ASCUK back in the day...

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to think AA was bankrolled by Viper an Pro Airsoft, every other page, ad and mention was one of these a while ago.

I grab both when I see them as always good to have something to read on the lav or in the bath, And as mentioned both suitably different to justify grabbing both.

Have found some amazing links, and loadout ideas from both so more than happy to currently support both!

I take it back. The past two issues of each have been copies of each other. Same reviews, same guns n gear and the last issue of both had a build a Division Loadout article. Whilst the AI division loadout was a great read, and I actually want to build one, and can appreciate new gear n guns are a big thing in our relatively small world so both would want to cover these releases but they are now just too similar. Could have easily just bought one of the two publications the past couple of times.

Oh and AI still has silly typos and errors!!

• Moderators

I've noticed that recently as well, same pics as well, but I guess they are people sending them in so could be coincidence in same issue dates

Next month I think AA may have the Gunman filmsim from April in its issue...... Maybe me depending on pics used 😎

As someone who works 'in the industry' I'll help put one one rumor in this thread to sleep. AI and AA are competently separate entities. The owners of both magazines used to work together in the past but not anymore. And that's before AA was out. Also PAS definitely don't have any control in AA, we just gave them a bunch of stuff to review in the past and got a mention for supplying it.

As someone who works 'in the industry' I'll help put one one rumor in this thread to sleep. AI and AA are competently separate entities. The owners of both magazines used to work together in the past but not anymore. And that's before AA was out. Also PAS definitely don't have any control in AA, we just gave them a bunch of stuff to review in the past and got a mention for supplying it.

Was just using Pro as an example. I get it its a small world and preferable treatment will be given to certain suppliers due to your reason and also buying advertising space, but there were a few issues where Pro and viper were literally on every third page. Not a bad thing like I said. Just an observation :)

No worries bud, hard to get that kinda exposure these days!

Totally.. I work for a small charity not too far from you, we gota take what we can!!

No such thing as bad press so they say (although in my line of work it can be devastating lol)

Glad the shops getting out there. I prefer to shop in store so handy having you near. Much prefer you to wolf too :P

AI's grammar and spelling editing is still almost non-existent and I'd be red-faced admitting to be the editor of it tbh.

It is glossier, but style very much over substance these last few issues.

• 1 year later...

Didn't want to start a new thread, but want to update on my observations of late. 

Airsoft International is back to being edited by Mr P Monaf. I have noticed, as I generally buy an edition every other month or so, and keep them for reference, that the content recycling is becoming increasingly frequent. Needless to say, 'new'  editor, same lack of basic English editing... SMH. 

I like S23's regular features, but if he's told us once that he started out playing wearing UCP, he's told us a thousand times. 

Often, the articles aren't attributed to anyone so it is hard to tell who is writing what. 

The last 'MARSOC' edition was a pretty good one, was quite chuffed with the content. 

I haven't seen any Airsoft Action editions for a while, but it seems more consistent than AI's and the only content recycling is the continual appearances of Bill Thomas' Gun Mart reviews, but attributed to Jerry Noone (Jerry No One?!)... 

• 2 weeks later...

I made it into 'Airsoft Action' too. 

Which was nice. 

IMG_20180309_212859_278.jpg

• Moderators

is that Aprils issue?

No, one last Summer, found the pic recently. 

• Moderators

aarh ok....had recent ones to hand and couldnt see you... :lol:

there are people who walk around Cambridge with

'Cambridge Uni Netball Team' tops on....big letters on back as well!

5 hours ago, djben9 said:

aarh ok....had recent ones to hand and couldnt see you... :lol:

there are people who walk around Cambridge with

'Cambridge Uni Netball Team' tops on....big letters on back as well!

I think it was Aug 17 issue or thereabouts. 

Just wish AI actually edited their articles. It would improve it so much. Just boils my p**s reading through half-brothered articles, sloppy mistakes and copy and paste jobs. 

Why, whenever a PCU item is mentioned, the whole freakin' 7 layer system is laid out in full... Why not just DESCRIBE AND REVIEW THE ONE ITEM YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?! Lazy. 

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Dentonboy said:

I think it was Aug 17 issue or thereabouts. 

Just wish AI actually edited their articles. It would improve it so much. Just boils my p**s reading through half-brothered articles, sloppy mistakes and copy and paste jobs. 

Why, whenever a PCU item is mentioned, the whole freakin' 7 layer system is laid out in full... Why not just DESCRIBE AND REVIEW THE ONE ITEM YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?! Lazy. 

yeah i know, i tend to flick through more now than read at times....

oh an the other bit .....some reason my posts got combined as i must have not payed attention !!! haha

• 3 months later...

In a strong field, this may be my favourite AI typo. 

Editor my arse... 

[Insert 'magazine talks a lot of bollocks anyway' joke here] 

IMG_20180715_123130.jpg

Oh... readable publications magazines... I pressumed this thread as about bb feeders!?

I mean, who reads magazines these days anyway? Apart from women waiting to get their hair done?

There's a lot to be said for the magazine since Ben Webb left AI

I don't even bother flicking through them now when you have the likes of;

• The reptile house
  • S23 (I go back and read old reviews now and then)
  • ATRG (airsoft tactical research group)

to name but a few and all easily read online for free! I know Rich mainly concentrates on all things systema but he also does high end kit reviews and set ups which is handy for anyone that while may not be buying high end kit can take things away for their own set ups.

7 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

Happy birthday by the way.

Its actually tomorrow, but thanks :P  

• Supporters
3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

Whoops... (in fairness I only missed you off because I don't see you blogs come up in my timeline as frequent as the above)

Happy birthday by the way.

lol, no that'll be because I don't actually post near as many as those guys (usually not near as long either) so it makes 100% sense.  I exist in a weird floaty, jelly-like grey area stuck between the military(ish), the US firearms world and the airsoft world.  I know most airsofters aren't gonna mega interested in real guns and OCD talk about gear, plus I barely post about RIFs because it's extremely rare I actually buy one tbh.  But end of the day I'd say most players are in the game for the RIFs, otherwise we'd probably be paintballing or just hiking or doing archery or something.

Cheers!

Just now, CKinnerley said:

lol, no that'll be because I don't actually post near as many as those guys (usually not near as long either) so it makes 100% sense.  I exist in a weird floaty, jelly-like grey area stuck between the military(ish), the US firearms world and the airsoft world.  I know a most airsofters aren't gonna mega interested in real guns and OCD talk about gear, plus I barely post about RIFs because it's extremely rare I actually buy one tbh.  But end of the day I'd say most players are in the game for the RIFs, otherwise we'd probably be paintballing or just hiking or doing archery or something.

Cheers!

One thing I do love about your posts actually is the OCD gear talk! Your collection makes me stiffer than a premier league footballer at a sweet 16 birthday party

Archived