So You Wanna Start Airsoft.

Mitchell Gee
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

ok so the chances are you heard the magic word of airsoft from a freind, or somewhere on the internet... so you've looked it up and seen a couple of guns you want... you may of bought one or two.... but there is much more to airsoft than just guns so im going to create this to help you choose your gear....

Ok, so the first thing your gonna wanna do is go here. you are going to want to find the nearest airsoft site to you... then you want to check up on its site to find out the rules and regs e.g age limits gun FPS (feet per second) rating and wether its CQB (close quarter battle), urban or woodland... as well as various other things that can quite easily be found on their website...

Once you have found the nearest site too you that allows your age in (wont be a problem unless your under 16, like me) your going to want too choose a weapon, the reason i told you too check if its CQB, urban or woodland is because their is several things your are gonna want to take into consideration, such as the lengh of your gun... in a CQB site you want something small and robust such as an MP5 or AK74u (two commonly used sub machine guns... which will be good in close quarter due to the fact of them being extremely monuverable... in an urabn site you are going to be wanting a very well balenced gun such as an M4 (even better if you can get one with a stubby barrel... as it will sustain accuracy and still be easily monuvarable... or anogher thing you could do is carry a resonable large gun... such as an M16, and then carry a small gun as a secondary such as an MP5k... in woodland, everything is going to be as a resonable distance from you... so you are going to want a resonably long gun... such as M4's and M14's and others such as AK47's etc. you are also going to want too check the FPS rating before you buy otherwise you may have to pay to get it downgraded or cut your spring... which will invalidate any warranty you may have... your gun will also have too be two tone until you get a UKARA lisence (you will know what that is by the time you come aywere near getting it)

but anyway, onto the next topic... camo

for your camo you want something that works... but i wouldnt reccomend spending anymore than £50 or camo along ( i got mine for less than a tenner) i would reccomend british BDU's from www.flecktarn.co.uk you can get trousers for about a fiver a pair, shirts for £2 to £6 each and jackets for about £2.50... you can also get diffrent patterns but they cost alot more...

now you want gear... such as chest rigs and pouches... i would reccomend its mainly based around your gun... if you just use an M4 (like me) or any other assualt rifle you will brobaly settle quite well for an average chest rig or a webbing belt... but if you use box magazines your are goona want to but MINIMI pouches or something simular... you should be able to pick enough gear to hold 1-6 standard magazines for no more than £30... remember the weight also... it may be worth spending that extra fiver for pouches than buying a fixed rig... if you run with only 2-3 magazine... and considering one will probably be in your gun... haveing a bunch of unused pouches can Arse weifght too your rig which results in you being slow/ uncomfortable which can be a big game ruiner... it realy depends on your role... if you are a heavy gunner... an acouple of drum/box mag pouches and a magazine pouch too but a bottle of bb's in will do...

Now you are going too look at the most important thing in this game... eye protection.... my mask cost me a fiver... but you can get diffrent ones for more... in which you get wahat you pay for... a £100 mask will probably give you a very comfortable mask whith fans to keep in well ventilated and stop the glass from fogging... you get what you pay for in airsoft... on the other hand you can get glasses or goggles whiich do the same job but dont protect the rest of your face... you may get your teeth knocked out if you are not careful... but if you re under 18 im afraid you will have to wear full face masks when playing... but for a begginer i wouldnt pay any more than £40

there may be othe things you may want to buy... such as rubber knives (i own one :P) or other things such as helmets etc. my opinion... if you have the money to spend... go ahead it all adds to the realism and fun... if you are looking for a rubber knife... go to amazon... you can buy a decent one for about 50p...

im sure i havnt covered everything but im am also sure this will help you get started on your voyage to the must fun you will ever have.......... with your clothes on :P

thanks for taking the time to read this... all feedback will be appriciated... and be sure to ask any questions and i will try my best to answer... if not i will point yopu towards someone who can...

• Supporters

Great guide gets the basics down before you start playing, i think you should add what to expect from a skirmish site and the rules like what the safe zone is etc how to behave etc. oh and point out the importance of renting before going ahead and buying everything :)

great guide as you may know I do a series of guides for my team website Ghost Wolves called tricks of the trade and I release a new one each month. Im currently working on a guide for new players but the guides are on all sorts of things such as the previous two on stealth and accuracy. I thaught your review was really good and informative and I would be more than happy for you to write guides and then send them to me to add to the website. You will of course be fully credited for all your work and I may edit them slightly (spelling, typos ect..). If your interested please pm me this would be a great help as I have to get a lot of stuff on both the website and on youtube out each month. You could also do videos and gun reviews too. :D

loving the idea Alex, i shall pm you shortly

Cheers mate :D

You mentioned rubber knives. Do you think sites would allow a rubber Katana instead? :D

Sorry to double post but my freind bring a katana because he dose martial arts. Loks very funny when hes charging at some one despite them having guns :lol:

Archived