Gaming PC

Mos

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, was browsing the internet on some gaming PCs. I got on to amazon and saw this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quadcore-PC-Computer-Graphics-Keyboard/dp/B00UVSP088/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1448641451&sr=1-4&keywords=gaming+pc+deals

This seems quite good, but it seems a little too cheap for what it is. If anyone could confirm that this is a scam or it says it's good but it isn't, that'd be great thanks.

• Root Admin

Build your own - there are 1000 guides out there and it's at the point now where the only thing you can screw up is dropping the CPU into place. You will get a good deal, but have a budget of £500 I'd say. The reason that thing is so cheap is the ludicrously underpowered GPU they have in there. Also, AMD are really far behind Intel and NVidia these days with their CPUs and GPUs. The GTX 900 series is incredibly good value.

This really isn't the right forum for this kind of stuff though. Not that we're not happy to help, but I dare say you'll find far more expertise elsewhere. Look up the Newegg 'build a PC' videos on Youtube.

Yeah I get your point, building is a better way to do things, as my PC broke, I'm looking for a quick replacement. Thanks for the info, I'll check that vid out. Thanks.

I wouldn't recommend getting a pre built gaming pc off amazon or ebay etc as it doesn't say what make or model most of the parts are so they could be really cheap parts that will break after a few months. don't quote me on this i have just read a lot of reviews on pc's like this. One last point you can usually get good deals at your local computer shop or building your own as proffrink says.

Good point. Was looking at this PC on Amazon and it was some cheapo piece of junk for 100 quid, and it said it had a 6.8GhZ processor, what a joke!

It said it had a 6.8GHz processor, but it obviously didn't, it was a scam.

Ive just upgraded my computer as I wanted to play the new Rainbow Six game and Arma 3 and couldn't play the latter on any console.

Have you looked at CCL ? I saw their range of gaming PCs on their Ebay shop.

I would stay away from AMD cpu's personally ive had a bad expeience with them. also the old 2gb cards are fine for most games today. but in 1-2 years you wont be able to play any of the new games that come out so its just a waste really. look into getting a 960 or 970 if you can. really will last you atleast 5 years.

to be honest most of the new games that came out this year, the recommend card is a 970... the older cards really can only play these games on low settings.

My flatmate just bought a 960 for £100.... yes it was black Friday sale but that's soo cheap for a high performance card.

Honestly the time to buy is now what with all the sales

• 2 weeks later...

nope lol. From the amazon link, yeah its gonna be shit. yep im right.

Where to start.

Well, be realistic, its £430, you shouldnt be able to get a PC, monitor, keyboard mouse, and speakers for that price that can decently game, lets be honest.

R7 240? what were they thinking, that is just shocking. Didnt even know AMD did a card like that lol.

assuming 8gb of ram, unless its mega slow thats fine.

1TB hard drive, meh get an SSD for games and OS, personally i would

AMD athlon, well thats budget. I don't touch AMD, more of an intel man myself, but yeah im sure its not very good, because I have an athlon in my 5 year old laptop. It survives, but it doesnt game. saying that for a budget AMD is king, and it is a quad core so it could probably do the job.

What i'm saying is, build it yourself. The only way these people make money is by charging a higher price. If you build it, you can choose any item, so you don't have to have a nuclear waste case, you can have some non chinese branded ram, a decent MoBo, and a decent gpu.

I can't seem to find a general consensus for what you want to spend, how much is it?

If its over 500, go Intel IMO. you can get a nice rig for about that price (without peripherals though)

• Supporters

Hey guys, was browsing the internet on some gaming PCs. I got on to amazon and saw this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quadcore-PC-Computer-Graphics-Keyboard/dp/B00UVSP088/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1448641451&sr=1-4&keywords=gaming+pc+deals

This seems quite good, but it seems a little too cheap for what it is. If anyone could confirm that this is a scam or it says it's good but it isn't, that'd be great thanks.

I just started my own pic build. Cost me around 1600 usd, but I want above what I needed. Intel i7, Nvidia 970, and a few more splooges to hurt my wallet. Honestly, to get worthwhile performance out of a pc you need to invest time and money into it. Like an airsoft gun :)

Just as an alternative, this is from FRANKIEonPCin1080p's YouTube channel. It's pretty good for the price and you can see what he's tested it with and see the results.

The website it takes you to in his links is for Gladiator Computers

• Supporters

I’ve just built my own. Cost me roughly £550-£600 and it’s all good stuff.

Problem with buying a pre-built “Gaming PC” is they aren’t actually gaming spec, well not the cheap ones anyway. You could get lets say a £400 gaming PC but the PSU won’t be to gaming spec, the RAM certainly won’t be to gaming spec, CPU Fan will be a standard cooler and not a proper Arctic cooler which it would need. The GPU will be just about gaming spec but nothing to rave about and the motherboards in those kind of PC’s are generally Gigabyte boards which are just shite.

I’ve just built my own. Cost me roughly £550-£600 and it’s all good stuff.

Problem with buying a pre-built “Gaming PC” is they aren’t actually gaming spec, well not the cheap ones anyway. You could get lets say a £400 gaming PC but the PSU won’t be to gaming spec, the RAM certainly won’t be to gaming spec, CPU Fan will be a standard cooler and not a proper Arctic cooler which it would need. The GPU will be just about gaming spec but nothing to rave about and the motherboards in those kind of PC’s are generally Gigabyte boards which are just shite.

Nothing is "Gaming Spec" The entire concept is just marketing BS. Gigabyte aren't shite. Most prebuilt's use foxconn OEM boards, similar to those used by Dell for their cheaper office computers.

• Supporters

Nothing is "Gaming Spec" The entire concept is just marketing BS. Gigabyte aren't shite. Most prebuilt's use foxconn OEM boards, similar to those used by Dell for their cheaper office computers.

HAHA typical usual Funny you always like to pick at what other people say. Rather than actually posting something helpful you just pick like it's big & clever. Thanks for the giggle.

HAHA typical usual Funny you always like to pick at what other people say. Rather than actually posting something helpful you just pick like it's big & clever. Thanks for the giggle.

Sorry but the only person being a douchebag here is you, as per usual. You post shit like this as if you are the oracle of all things, when you clearly have no clue what you are talking about. If you don't like being corrected when you're wrong, don't post bullshit.

I'd avoid it. It's outdated a little and not really a gaming machine.

The CPU is probably an overclocked 4300. Nothing special about it. It's the bottom of the AM3+ lineup £40 cpu with some tweaking to core speeds.

The R7 240 again is a budget component. You wouldn't be playing many games at full graphics on it. It's a £40 graphics card.

The ram will be the cheapest DDR3 they can get hold of, and the same with the motherboard. £30 for the ram, £40 for a motherboard.

Hard drive £35.

DVD drive £10

Cheap china Keys and mouse £20 (it's probably a Nemesis Kane pro set)

Cheap speakers £10

Cheap monitor £80.

Cheap case with PSU £25.

All retail prices from novatech. £330 retail.
http://www.novatech.co.uk

So even on base price it's not a good deal. And it doesn't even have an operating system.

My advice to non savy PC users is get one made from a reputable company. I like novatech they have good customer service.

This barebones system.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/barebonebundles/view/bb-44608a.html

Intel Core i5 4460 - 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz

Customise it.
Add the
corsair carbide spec 01 case
G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB
GeFore GTX 750Ti 2GB

And stick the hard drives and optical drives from your current PC in it, and reuse your current version of windows.

£475.67 (atm prices are volatile).

Yeah I get your point, building is a better way to do things, as my PC broke, I'm looking for a quick replacement. Thanks for the info, I'll check that vid out. Thanks.

How you know it's broke?

Please do not say "it won't turn on".

Incidentally, if you do self build, after 2-3 times you have enough parts to troubleshoot for individual part failure should such an issue eventually arise (it will, if you use it long enough).

How you know it's broke?

Please do not say "it won't turn on".

Incidentally, if you do self build, after 2-3 times you have enough parts to troubleshoot for individual part failure should such an issue eventually arise (it will, if you use it long enough).

It turns on fine, it shows up a load of binary settings etc. then it goes to start it up, by pressing through numerous options. And never goes onto the desktop screen.

I've tried, unscrewing the case and swapping the positions of ram. And making sure PSU cables are secure, motherboard is screwed up, the graphics card has its fan spinning round. I came to the conclusion that it was my operating system that was broken, (the OS was actually an illegal one) we tried swapping the OS for a non broken one, with discs and USB sticks, no luck.

I gave up. Lol, I have a laptop, so I'm not doomed.

• Root Admin

Are you actually booting from the USB? Go into your BIOS when you start up (depends on the manufacturer, but can be F9, F10, F11 or F12) and make sure the boot order is set to boot from your USB (if you're installing Windows), hard drive (if you're swapping from an old PC) or the disc drive.

It turns on fine, it shows up a load of binary settings etc. then it goes to start it up, by pressing through numerous options. And never goes onto the desktop screen.

I've tried, unscrewing the case and swapping the positions of ram. And making sure PSU cables are secure, motherboard is screwed up, the graphics card has its fan spinning round. I came to the conclusion that it was my operating system that was broken, (the OS was actually an illegal one) we tried swapping the OS for a non broken one, with discs and USB sticks, no luck.

I gave up. Lol, I have a laptop, so I'm not doomed.

When you say it never goes to the desktop screen, does it actually do anything else unusual ? Furthermore, does it do anything differently with the hard disk drive disconnected (don't do this if there is more than one disk drive).

(obviously this would not be my advice if I could access the bios myself.)

Broken hard drive is more likely than "broken" OS, all hard drives break. If the hard drive is worn out, they're only £30 to replace.

The OS being unlicensed is unlikely to have anything to do with anything.

That you have a 2nd computer can make this all the more easier to fix, as you can read about the motherboard while at the computer. When you say you tried installing a new OS, how far did you get? Could the advice in the post above help?

As for "not" doomed, you're going to toss a computer because one of the cheapest parts appears to not work?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.