Stop spam

beastmode

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Is there anyone we can stop this horrendous spam that comes up on this site from time to time? Maybe vetting new users to check their legitimacy before allowing them to post.

• Head Moderator

It has been a while since the last spam attack, 08 September.

It seemed more recent than that but that's probably just because they annoy me so much.

• Root Admin

Vetting new members and adding extra security measures generally do more harm than good. I've worked on a lot of corporate websites and the like (including forums); the ones with overzealous 'new poster rules' ones always tend to get less users - maybe this isn't correlated at all, but I get the feeling it can't be making the user experience any easier.

I know I detest websites that make you jump through any number of hoops to sign up. It's hard enough for a lot of people to stop lurking and start posting without extra measures to ensure their legitimacy. I feel a few spam posts every couple of months is worth it for making the forums even just slightly more approachable to newer players. So long as the mod team are taking down these sorts of posts within 6 hours then they're doing their job well, and if we all ignore the posts they get buried very rapidly anyway.

One course of action is an 'airsoft related security question' like 'name the legislature passed in 2007 that has many stipulations applying to airsoft', but even something like that runs the risk of turning away new players who might know absolutely nothing and have some on here to find out. Some of those users are the ones that go on to post 'what gun should I get' threads, sure, but ultimately some of them do return as contributing members.

It's tough.

• Root Admin

Also, double post but can we perhaps stop posting in these threads and use the report button? I know it's really tempting, but you must realise these are run with scripts after the initial authentication and will never see your quips anyway.

You serve only to have a quick giggle at everyone's expense (who then have to see the thread on top again); you're doing their work for them.

Edit:

Mods just got the them. Yay.

• AF-UK Founding Member

We have several safeguards in place. Captchas, email verification, are you human tests, an email and IP lookup against a known spammer database, but some slips through. I'm afraid it's the nature of things.

Best thing you can do is just report the thread - although bear in mind most people will have already done it unless you are viewing it in the first few minutes.

• AF-UK Founding Member

No, didn't seem to do much, we're plugged in to StopForumSpam, they have something like 32 million records. You can see at the bottom of the main index how many people they have blocked automagically.

Also, double post but can we perhaps stop posting in these threads and use the report button? I know it's really tempting, but you must realise these are run with scripts after the initial authentication and will never see your quips anyway.

You serve only to have a quick giggle at everyone's expense (who then have to see the thread on top again); you're doing their work for them.

Edit:

I did use the report button but just thought I'd open a thread up to have a moan and see if there's anything else that could be done about it.

Edit:

I did use the report button but just thought I'd open a thread up to have a moan and see if there's anything else that could be done about it.

Ah sorry misunderstood I didn't see the other posts replies before it all got deleted.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.