Spammers....

JerseyRider
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys...

We all know these are a common threat but ATM there is a incressing amount of spammers out there

The R125 Forum i am on have had to remove about 50 odd posts and ban 10-15 users due to spamming

So just a reminder to you all! if it looks to good to be true 9 times out of 10 it is! DONT TAKE THE RISK!

Thanks

Jack

I have to say, credit where it's due, spammers seem to have finally realised that the old "I'm a *insert nation here* Prince/Princess, and I have recently found out..." crap isn't working.

Case in point:

"Dear --email address, clearly not my name-- My name is Dr Levi Mumbayus, and I am a member of the International Justice League, and we need your help!"

International Justice League? Oh aye? :rolleyes:

Pray tell, who's the CEO? Batman? :rolleyes:

Oh, here, let me just give you all of my money details...

In all seriousness, I suggest people look out in the classifieds section. On another skirmishing forum I'm a member of, there are strict rules regarding who can buy/sell - scammers found out that airsoft is expensive - so as a scam, they'd get generic photos from google of airsofting gear (like the pics some of you have posted of your guns leaning against walls/beds/etc), and then try to 'sell' something. They'd take the money and WHAM, you no-longer have any money, nor do you have the nice gun you tried to buy.

• Supporters

A picture of the gun physically is always handy, but a picture of the news paper / date & your username etc always helps we do try and enforce that nobody should use images off google, and imho is they did and i was a potential buyer i would steer well clear or get some more information first.

And lets not forgot

Get the sellers address! If anything goes wrong its just more evidence to give to authorities if things go nasty, plus it gives the buyer more confidence.

Cheers Jersey for the heads up we do our best to stop spammers/scammers

• AF-UK Founding Member

IP addresses are fairly good at locating people but they are by no means an exact way of pinpointing someone.

I check every thread in the classifieds for dodgy information and dodgy pictures and do my best to keep on top of things and we are yet to have any problems. If we did then hard action would be taken hopefully then acting as a good deterrent to anyone else who planned to do the same.

We used to suffer a fair amount of spam but I think I have got it pretty much nailed now. Hardly ever see any spam users registering and posting, or even sending PM's to every member.

lol some random guy called warris added me on Skype and said hello blah blah blah, im from South africa, i need your help i need to hide my money somewhere as the government want my money, i want to hide it somewhere safe or something like that so i was looking at his skype profile, it said, Warris.1 then it said he was in France so i was like, you are trying to get my parents bank details arent you? he was like no

so yh he is a retard! lol ah well, i always get emails of african people involved in car crashes and apparently a 12 year old is entitled to £10000000000000000000000000000000000000000 gazillion pounds!!!

so yeah

also by the look of all the mods on here, if spammers and scammers were found on here, our mods would pwn their bottoms

just down right stupid people

waiting for that one to happen actually never heard of it happening, except from those ads that say free iphone, then people go on watch dog and stuff, so that they get their money and stuff! lol it makes me laugh

nope, st hellier, jersey.

your ISP is jersey telecom limited.

gives the longtitude and latitude of your adress too, but posting that on the internet could be considered an asshat move.

Well my program isnt working then.... haha

• 2 weeks later...

theres one thing that me, my dad and my freinds tend to get...

its a virus that says that "Deadly Viruses Have Been Found On Your Computer, purchase antivirus pro to cure it... so you look at the price £60 a year... that sounds decent(ish) for a "Pro" virus softwere thats pretty decent i guess... and then you press purchase button and put you details in (i do not personnally know anyone who did this) so the virus is gone great! a year later the same thing happens... so you purchase this Antivirus stuff again, sorted! turns out the virus is antivirus and these "Deadly viruses" dont exist... lol, very very very clever when you think about it though...

veeerrryy clever...yeah...?

there is a perfectly good explanation for having Norton or Mcafee or whatever, lol

• AF-UK Founding Member

Norton and McLafee are a pile of junk. The best anti-virus solutions are generally free.

Fate you've just been a victim of a scam/scareware, they undoubtedly have your card details and also you are installing their software which could be malicious enough to cause a complete reinstall.

Be careful!

People only have their self to blame if they fall prey to scamming spammers!

Im not gunna part with any cash until i c what im buying and we all get to know regular names on here plus feedback after each sale so sounds like the mods have it all wrapped up nice and tight. Cheers boys!

I dont even trust Nortan my self.... There have bee reports of them effecting your computers with a "unknown" virus and asking you to get the pro package etc to get rid of it...

AVG hasnt failed me yet.... And its free

• Supporters

I have a much better way of stopping virus', don't click on EVERYTHING you see, only those you know are safe/links to where you want to be and set your browser to block popups.

I don't use any virus software at all. I also have a computer that only I use so I know what is clicked on/downloaded... and non of it is viruses (hopefully)

• AF-UK Founding Member
I have a much better way of stopping virus', don't click on EVERYTHING you see, only those you know are safe/links to where you want to be and set your browser to block popups.

I don't use any virus software at all. I also have a computer that only I use so I know what is clicked on/downloaded... and non of it is viruses (hopefully)

That's true but if you go onto a site which you think will be safe and it has been hijacked and malicious code put into the website, your PC is likely to be a lot harder to recover than if you'd of had something installed.

• Supporters

you dont click cookies my friend (most of them do bugger all but some of them are right nasty bastards!).

Trust me i went 4 years without ever getting infected and like you I never did anything stupid, until 1 day got infected and long story short the only way out was too format, first thing i did was download a 23mb program and just leave it in the background, theres no harm in it being there ;)

Archived