Jefftron Programmable Mosfet review - BTC Spectre for half the price?

dex
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Off the back of a recommendation from one of the other techs at my regular airsoft site I picked up a Jefftron programmable mosfet unit. The unit is essentially an alternative to the BTC Spectre in that it is a drop in pcb based unit that replaces the standard trigger contact/shuttle mechanism in your gearbox. The trigger is activated via a microswitch and their are numerous operating modes and fire control options.

Where it differs from the Spectre is that it retains the cut-off lever in the gearbox and uses this to activated the microswitch that governs the cycle timing. This makes it easier to install than the Spectre. Other than that it offers much the same functionality as the Spectre at a much lower price.

In my case I installed it into my recently acquired Krytac CRB - which was suffering from overspin double firing after installing a high torque motor (essentially I needed something with active breaking to control this) - when one of my fellow regulars mentioned that there was a new product on the market offering full programmability for not that much more money than a decent AB fet, I thought I would give it a try.

Installation is relatively straight forward

- Remove gearbox

- Open up and remove trigger mechanism

- Install mosfet

- Solder on motor contacts (you need to buy these separately) I bought the mosfet with wires already in place - it can be had without wires)

- Solder on battery connector (Deans - bought separately)

- Solder signal wire to live wire

- Test and reassemble gearbox and gun

Note on the Krytac CRB: in order to install the Jefftron you will lose the ability to lock the ejection port cover back when you adjust the hop up - not a big deal tbh - the pcb covers the hole where the locking mechanism passes through the gearbox.

All told the process took about an hour and a half.

Pros and cons of the unit vs BTC Spectre:

Pros:

- Slightly easier install due to retaining cut-off lever (no re-shimming needed)

- Has pretty much the same functions

- Half the price

- Available now

Cons:

- Unproven reliability (time will tell, but the unit looks well put together)

- At the moment v2 only

To sum up, if your looking at a programmable fet and can't get your hands on a Spectre or like the sound of spending half as much - give this unit some consideration. I'm already thinking of throwing one in my VFC 416.

More info/specs here: http://www.jefftron.cz/en/1-1-1/Processor-unit-V2-with-wiring.html

I got mine from Skirmshop in Holland (I don't think Jefftron ship to the UK direct).

• Supporters

Jeff fet's are sometimes sold on fleabay - basic versions

and also gunfire

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152207949-Advanced-Microprocessor-Circuit-V2-with-Cables.html

or

http://gunfire.pl/product-eng-1152207948-Advanced-Microprocessor-Circuit-V2.html

ah wtf - a list of all fet's:

http://gunfire.pl/eng_m_Parts-and-accessories_Internal-parts_MOSFET-modules-6832.html

ps cheers for heads up/review keep us posted how she performs

Will this fet be compatible with the tm recoils specifically the 416 and scar l

Not totally sure. It's likely they will fit if the recoil gearboxes share the v2 spec for the trigger mechanism and cut off lever. I dont do much tech stuff on recoils as they are a royal pain. Perhaps someone else could confirm if the trigger and cutoff are standard spec. If they are, there is no reason why this won't work.

• Supporters

Not totally sure. It's likely they will fit if the recoil gearboxes share the v2 spec for the trigger mechanism and cut off lever. I dont do much tech stuff on recoils as they are a royal pain. Perhaps someone else could confirm if the trigger and cutoff are standard spec. If they are, there is no reason why this won't work.

The BTC mosfets for TM recoils are a completely different design due to the differences in gearbox design. Not sure if it would hold true fro the Jefftron as it doesn't require getting rid of the cutoff lover.

• Supporters

Does seem unlikely that any generic AEG FET would fit a TM recoil. I've certainly yet to see it done and I follow many threads on different forums and facebook groups about the entire line-up.

• 11 months later...

Just put one of these in a gun, I won't be doing it again. Spectre takes minutes to setup, the Jefftron can take hours to correct if you mess up the insane number of trigger presses. Spectre is worth the extra cost just because of that.

• 2 months later...

And once again, further extensive issues. The self resetting fuse got triggered, and in the process wiped all prior settings as well as having, as far as I can see, completely crapping the entire unit. It now won't allow complete configuration, and is stuck in a state which would normally indicate something within the gearbox is broken, everything apart from the mosfet is in working order.

Archived