advice on a gun

sol1821
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hey guys,

i shoot air rifles and pistols mainly, i also do practical pistol with a gbb tm-1911.

am i correct in assuming that, as with pistols, if the power output of a rifle is above 1J it is no longer classed as a RIF, but is a real firearm and therefore does not require ukara membership or to be two tone ??

I'm looking for a rifle that i can use for practical target shooting, so needs to have as high a fps as possible.

preferably in the style of the m4/m16 and as realistic as possible. (although not gbb as the running costs are too high)

any ideas at what i should look at?

cheers

sol

• Supporters

anything above 2/3? Joules is an airgun and doesn't require UKARA

as far as most realistic? Systema PTW's... but the initial outlay of around £1200 may be a touch too high for your budget

I think your best bet is to find a local airsoft retailer to you and talk to them about what they can get and modify to fire at higher FPS's

what kind of budget do you have?

anything above 2/3? Joules is an airgun and doesn't require UKARA

as far as most realistic? Systema PTW's... but the initial outlay of around £1200 may be a touch too high for your budget

I think your best bet is to find a local airsoft retailer to you and talk to them about what they can get and modify to fire at higher FPS's

what kind of budget do you have?

thanks for the swift reply, that gun looks good, but for £1200 id want to load bb's into real cases and have them eject like the real thing, and to have a realistic recoil lol

id like to spend about 100-150 but if something was really good id stretch to 300, id be looking to buy second hand.

the main thing id want is a realistic weight/size, I'm not that bothered about all the makers engravings being accurate.

cheers

sol

Unless you are willing to spend big readies then there is no way u will get one of these rifs up to firing 1j let alone 2/3j you would be better of going for ukara or getting two tone and doing what you will with it when u get it.

Just order from the sates. Almost all the guns here come standard with 1.5J. :P

Shipping shouldn't be too much.

Just order from the sates. Almost all the guns here come standard with 1.5J. :P

Shipping shouldn't be too much.

What are the american site limits then if the guns are all 1.5joul?

I think it depends on the sites.

I know that some sites state-side limit SMGs at 250-300 fps, assault rifles are 350, LMGs/LSWs/SAWs/GPMGs are 400 fps (to give them a more realistic longer range too) and semi-auto/single shot is 500-ish.

NO! Overpriced JG and JG mosfets will make your gun catch fire.

Do you work on your on guns? Do you have a good supply of good parts? If so get a $180 JG and customize it.

If not get a stock KWA and your good for 200' at 400FPS (1.5J)

Here is a decent site: www.evike.com

What are the american site limits then if the guns are all 1.5joul?

Site limits? All shipments must have an orange tip which can then be removed legally. Other than that you can buy just about anything if you are over 18. You can get 600fps systemas for $1500.

I would be very careful about importing a RIF if you don't have a valid defense. If customs stops your gun and opens the box i wouldn't have thought they are not going to care what FPS its doing and they aren't going to have a battery to test it anyway. I don't work for customs so this isn't definite but it seems to me the law was passed to stop people getting their hands on rifs and robbing banks or taking them in the streets and scaring old ladies, now the fact that it shoots higher FPS won't make any difference to that. There was also a letter in an old AI where they had a shop in the UK saying the same thing and AI claimed it was illegal. Doesn't anything over 1 joule that full auto get classed as a firearm ? can you legally import firearms ? As you can probably tell i'm not 100% certain on any of this but i would hate to see you spend your cash only for customs to take your new toy and destroy it.

If in doubt call HM customs they should know

I would be very careful about importing a RIF if you don't have a valid defense. If customs stops your gun and opens the box i wouldn't have thought they are not going to care what FPS its doing and they aren't going to have a battery to test it anyway. I don't work for customs so this isn't definite but it seems to me the law was passed to stop people getting their hands on rifs and robbing banks or taking them in the streets and scaring old ladies, now the fact that it shoots higher FPS won't make any difference to that. There was also a letter in an old AI where they had a shop in the UK saying the same thing and AI claimed it was illegal. Doesn't anything over 1 joule that full auto get classed as a firearm ? can you legally import firearms ? As you can probably tell i'm not 100% certain on any of this but i would hate to see you spend your cash only for customs to take your new toy and destroy it.

If in doubt call HM customs they should know

ive done some digging,

anything over 1J is no longer classed as a RIF and therefor doesn't require ukara membership or to be two tone, however it is then classed as a firearm, which means it cant have full auto capability.

looks like im going to have to go for a two tone one.

sorry to mess you guys around, but any advice on guns readily available in the uk, at £100-300 preferably looking for something in the m16 or m4 style.

cheers

sol

M4/m16 covers quite a bit of ground do you have any idea what era and what size IE vietnam60's/70's oldschool cool M16m203 combo, to the ultra modern magpulled to the hilt cqbr sechs machine. My advise would be find a model you really like the look of eg have a look through pic threads on forums have a look on google etc when you then find the model you want we can try to direct you to where to source one. Alot of the shops will paint a normal rif so it fits the two tone rule so don't think you are limited to the cheaper clone guns that are already 2tone. this task is probably one of the most popular activites an airsofter takes part in, trawlling the internet for guns to buy...lol enjoy

M4/m16 covers quite a bit of ground do you have any idea what era and what size IE vietnam60's/70's oldschool cool M16m203 combo, to the ultra modern magpulled to the hilt cqbr sechs machine. My advise would be find a model you really like the look of eg have a look through pic threads on forums have a look on google etc when you then find the model you want we can try to direct you to where to source one. Alot of the shops will paint a normal rif so it fits the two tone rule so don't think you are limited to the cheaper clone guns that are already 2tone. this task is probably one of the most popular activites an airsofter takes part in, trawlling the internet for guns to buy...lol enjoy

i know what you mean, I've got 19 guns at the moment :P

i like the look of either the old style m16, sort of Vietnam era, long front end, Cary handle, solid stock, or the newer m4, with the sorter front grip, and cut out adjustable stock.

more important than how it looks is its feel, looking for something well built with some weight to it.

"heavy is good, heavy is reliable. and if it doesn't work you can always hit them with it"

Yeah thats a good way to build a gun that breaks after a thousand shots.

Don't use systema parts. I had that exact spring guide bend on me with an M120. Second Metal cylinder head + Metal piston head = Bad news for the shell. Seriously dont mix them it will transfer WAY too much energy into the shell. Go polycarb

If you want some good info on building guns, do some research on this site: http://forums.airsoftmechanics.com/index.php

Archived