Molle vs Fixed

MZKaleem
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So i have This at the moment, but 1. it does not match my DPM (woodland) loadout that i am going for... and 2. it just doesn't feel right on me

So i wanted something around the price of this, but thinking that this will be just about good enough :) and it is molle,

thanks guys you usually save the day, and also if your wondering why i am not too hyped about christmas...i am, Dr Who is coming! :P joking

Hope you guys got everything you wanted :)

-Zakaria

I've only recently switched from fixed to MOLLE (Santa was kind enough to bring some Bulle stuff to me :lol: ) and already I prefer the new MOLLE to the fixed.

With the MOLLE, I can changed my rig easily. I run an LSW, so I need STANAG mag pouches (and lots of mags :lol:) - with MOLLE, should I ever change role, or weapon, I can easily. It also gives you different size pouches - I can get double- double stanag pouches (a single pouch holds 2 mags stacked together, but it has another pouch stuck on next to it)

For starters, most of the fixed ones - like the vest I used to run, and your current one (not the ChiCom AK strap-rigs) - unless specifically designed for one use, have a generic 'one size fits all' mag pouch - meaning whilst you can put STANAGS/G36/AUG/AK mags in - they never really fit properlly.

MOLLE allows you to buy pouches, bags and adons that you want/feel you need - unlike a fixed, which gives you what the designers thought you'd need. I never have (and probably never will) need 2 shotgun shell spaces.

Its up to you, but if you want to customise your gear, and have different loadouts and roles (say - you have an assault rifle loadout, and a sniper loadout, with different firearms) you can change for different games, or make a combined kit.

However - there is one main problem (imo) about MOLLE. Price. Flecktarn.co.uk has some wonderful, cheap prices for the BULLE range of MOLLE - very nice stuff. But - they are cheap in comparison to other shops. My rig was £25. But, it doesn't have anything. I spent £35 just getting the minimum (for my requirments) - my orrigional fixed vest, a highlander, which has worked well for a year, and I still like (and will keep, for 'emergencies') itself cost £35. Really is a case of cost. It also helps that I do not run a specific national armed forces unit - as I run a non descript PMC (or UKSF with civi gear), I can mix and match. If you want a specific unit (British Army, USMC, whatever) you might be more inclined to buy a specific vest/harness.

Before you buy a new rig, try your current one in a game. Or just wear it for an entire day, and see how it feels.

Personally, I prefer MOLLE. Actually, I love it (aside from the price). It works well with my PMC/Merc loadout, and keeps me in my support role. My fixed vest however, is equally useful, I just wanted a change.

Happy Christmas

(And woo! Dr Who - Amy!...I'll be quiet now...)

thanks Hubert, i will go for the Molle vest i am thinking of a Desert Loadout... haha it looks bloody awesome! i also think it would be better as fixed vest usually have the radio pouch on the left , which mean when i lean the butt of the gun on my shoulder, my friends radio gets crushed... also when i ran with the G36c, the mags were really hard to get in and out of the vest, hopefully the AK will be better, just thinking do they even make British Desert AK mag pouches :lol: if they did i would be quite happy, but if you guys find a Woodland DPM molle vest/rig/harness thingy for £35 or under, not inc P&P

and Hubert

(And woo! Dr Who - Amy!...I'll be quiet now...)
i really think you should before you embarrass yourself :lol:

Thanks

-Zakaria

EDIT i found this is it worth it? thanks :)

if I remember correctly you are quite young? If so then whatever vest you get is going to cause issues, be it a viper one or a molle one. I would suggest that you have a look for some second hand PLCE webbing with mag pouches and a couple of utility pouches. You can fit ak mags in them or m4 mags (or g36tbh) and you can stick your radio into a jacket pocket. the rigs are light, adjustable and will suit a smaller frame.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Web-Tex-Full-PLCE-Cu...=item3eee27fd22

or just get a molle belt and a couple of pouches

• Supporters
thanks Hubert, i will go for the Molle vest i am thinking of a Desert Loadout... haha it looks bloody awesome! i also think it would be better as fixed vest usually have the radio pouch on the left , which mean when i lean the butt of the gun on my shoulder, my friends radio gets crushed... also when i ran with the G36c, the mags were really hard to get in and out of the vest, hopefully the AK will be better, just thinking do they even make British Desert AK mag pouches :lol: if they did i would be quite happy, but if you guys find a Woodland DPM molle vest/rig/harness thingy for £35 or under, not inc P&P

and Hubert i really think you should before you embarrass yourself :lol:

Thanks

-Zakaria

EDIT i found this is it worth it? thanks :)

the first vest you linked, I have a spare one of them if you want to buy it :) I think it has more pouches than that with it.

the first vest you linked, I have a spare one of them if you want to buy it :) I think it has more pouches than that with it.

the desert one? cool, would the pouches fit an AK mag??

thanks

have a fun time :)

no idea as i dont have an AK. probably although i think 2 of the pouches are designed to fit SA80 mags but you could always put BB's on there instead.

ok and would it look stupid if i wore Woodland DPM's with this desert vest?

also how much you want for it?

-Zakaria

Just a heads up about AK mags v.s STANAGs -

Bulle says that most of their MOLLE STANAG pouches will also fit AK mags (although mags designed to fit AK mags will not fit STANAGs. This is because STANAGs are bigger and boxier than AK mags. (technically SA80 mags are STANAG - but in airsoft, they aren't, SA80 mags are taller/longer, due to the size/height of the magwell and gear box placing, incomparison to the real steel and the airsoft's gear box - thus not all airsoft SA80 mags will fit into real world SA80/M4/M16 mag pouches.)

(Only diff being the type of AK - 74 mags are smaller than 47s, due to a different size of round being used)

Personally, I think you can get away with a mix-match of Dessie and Woodland DPMs. Look at the British army when they were first deployed to Iraq in 2003 - no-one had enough desert camo, and you see almost everyone with mixed up camo kit (frontline and rear echelon troops)

Also, look at the photos (Iraq/Afghanistan) of UKSF (SAS/SBS/SFSG) - most of them, when they wear DPM have mixed kit.

Just a heads up about AK mags v.s STANAGs -

Bulle says that most of their MOLLE STANAG pouches will also fit AK mags (although mags designed to fit AK mags will not fit STANAGs. This is because STANAGs are bigger and boxier than AK mags. (technically SA80 mags are STANAG - but in airsoft, they aren't, SA80 mags are taller/longer, due to the size/height of the magwell and gear box placing, incomparison to the real steel and the airsoft's gear box - thus not all airsoft SA80 mags will fit into real world SA80/M4/M16 mag pouches.)

(Only diff being the type of AK - 74 mags are smaller than 47s, due to a different size of round being used)

Personally, I think you can get away with a mix-match of Dessie and Woodland DPMs. Look at the British army when they were first deployed to Iraq in 2003 - no-one had enough desert camo, and you see almost everyone with mixed up camo kit (frontline and rear echelon troops)

Also, look at the photos (Iraq/Afghanistan) of UKSF (SAS/SBS/SFSG) - most of them, when they wear DPM have mixed kit.

ah ok mate, i will try and see if Matt's bro can sell me his L85 hehe and the vest in a combo deal :lol: but still it will probably make an epic loadout, all i need now is a pistol, P226? or what pistol were they using currently /Iraq war ? and would soldiers (British EVER at all wear a Balaclava? cos i do like my face, without bbs in it lol, considering the sites fps limit on snipers is 500 Lol :)

thanks Hubert, and others :)

-Zak

Right, british army pistols.

This is a tad tricky.

SFs (SAS & SBS only, not SFSG) - Sig Sauers. Until 2004/5, there wasn't any real standardisation - pretty much everything from P220 to P228 ('29 hadn't arrived yet), and any of the variations. However, other pistols have been seen (Walthers, Browning Hi-Powers)

'06+, and SF (inc SFSG) standardised to P226 for most/all ops, some variation dependant on situation. (so small compacts like the P229, and other pistols, like the venerable Walther PPK/S families)

Standard/regualr army

Not all troopers have pistols. IIRC, until recently one had to apply for training with pistols (I know that RAF troops still do have to apply, as my cousin is currently attempting said course)

But, until recently it was the Browning Hi-Power. Then, the trials. Different units seem to have trialed different pistols. I've seen photos of Walther P99s (as used by the German armed forces), one or two Glock variants and a few others.

I believe the P226 has won it.

Balaclava - your face, your gear. I personally wear a lower mesh-face guard for teeth protection. Want to have a background for it? Say you're a PMC (...wearing Brit kit...I know...). Say you're in a cold location. In the Kosovan war, due to how cold it was, British troops in UN convoys can sometimes be seen wearing them.

Balaclava - your face, your gear. I personally wear a lower mesh-face guard for teeth protection. Want to have a background for it? Say you're a PMC (...wearing Brit kit...I know...).

Haha :lol: anyway Hubert, your very helpful and you seem to spend 10 minutes on like one reply, that could've had a small answer such as

Go away, or P226, lol anyway, PMC or not i might just go for a random pistol and say i am a Special Airsoft Service troop, and i carry what i get given, from the shop of Airsoft-guns-and-free-2-tone-service-and-special-orders-also-known-as-RED--1-AIRSOFT © D:

haha but still, i know i am sad, cos i was going to write "haha i make myself laugh *Goes and laughs in the corner* :lol: "

-Zakaria

Haha Zak, I'm a fast typer :lol:

Seriously man, it's no problem. I enjoy trying to help. Make airsofting a friendlier, happier environment.

Since I'm useless at technical gubbins, I may aswell try and help on the actual kit side of things. Whilst I'm not an expert, I do read up on Brit Kit (and to a lesser extent, Assuie and Yank), so I like to try and answer these questions as best as I can.

haha ...you can see this coming...Thanks :lol: but R85 problems or not i want one so bad to make myself a British troop :P the only things i need now is

Boots

KWA P226+Holster

Helmet

Balaclava (Tan)

more L85 Mags and P226 mags

and probably desert shirt and trousers :lol:

only a few things...

OH and i need a UKARA licence :)

-Zakaria

My mate is in the army and i have some other army/ex army freinds I can ask. When it comes to rigs the Brit army uses OSPREY I belevie and the army is in transition to their new camo MTP however its really hard to get the real stuff at the moment at a decent price. have a look at the british army website they have a bit of info about kit but not much.

Survival aids have alot of British kit for sale but good old flecktarn are probably one of the best providers for any loadout. Instead of the balaklava try a shemag the army use them in Afghan in the desert. :)

hey zakaira, you gave me an idea...

im the SAS - Special Airsoft Service!

anyway apart from that i got some ideas for you...

since i dont know you budget im gonna give you diffrent price ranges

£0-5 - Tank to vest with plastic bags sown to itor find some old tac vest in a tip or something... (<probs illegal)

£10-20 - Maybe a belt with some pounches on it it would be realy lightweight too since you got a CQB M4 so you can move faster to get closer...

£20-30 - http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/fltcr1nx.html its not exactly british but it would look ok'ish i guess.

£30-40 - Get a molle platform

£40-50 - Platform and pouches

£50-100 - get platform and lotsa pouches

£100-1000 - go buy one of the army...

funny that, i have a belt, from my current fixed vest, which i leave in the corner at the moment,i have a drop leg M16 mag pouch, and i hope to get a dump pouch, also Zero one are being awkward, i asked...MY DAD asked for a two tone service, we made an account, ordered it, and then he gets an email saying it is on hold, they need ID of some sort, so should i just get a M933 or something like that from red 1, or one of the other ones he has? not bother with Zero one? cancel the order?

oh and fate... *zakaria :lol: dont worry Zak will do it lol

-Zak

yh ok i HAVE MADE MY MIND UP!!! JG G36c and to put those M4 mags to use... Well just click me :lol: so yeah made up my mind, sorry Jason :( need to tell him, doing all that hard work for me... :) ah well, i will still get everything else (Gear, Pistol, bbs, mags, etc)

Archived