Viet Nam look - Do I have It?

ronin677
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well as the title says I am trying to gauge if I have bagged this look or not. At the moment I am using ALICE webbing that annoys me. I was tempted to buy M56 webbing again but I am waiting until I can lay my hands on M67 webbing instead.

The shirt and trousers are different shades, with the trousers being 1st pattern and the shirt being 3rd pattern. I figured as clothes got torn etc it was feasible to have this look as replacement items were issued out.

Constructive criticism welcome :)

Picture%20042.jpg

Picture%20054.jpg

thanks in anticipation guys :D

I think it's all about the detail - get some patches on there, and accessories on the webbing. My own effort is attached, and I've gone for the grenades etc. Do you have a 1911? If not, the flapped holster is a nice addition, and not too expensive.

What happened to the old loadout? That looked spot on.post-8826-0-29668300-1433972704_thumb.jpg

edited to add: think I need to get some decent photos taken... :-(

You definetly have the look down. No one is going to look at you and not know you're portraying a Vietnam era GI. Now , as said before, it's about making it you're own and detailing the impression if you want to do so. Picking a certain unit, studying their SOP's and how they carried gear and what gear they carried etc.

http://s6.zetaboards.com/vietnamairsoft/index/ Is an excellent Vietnam Airsoft forum, everyone is really friendly and the loadouts some of the guy's have over there are amazing in the detail they go into!

From 'nam' films I've seen, G.I's had a pack of smokes on there helmets along with smiley 'acid' face badges or words, names, slogans etc don't forget the dog tags & Zippo lighter

You could take inspiration from hamburger hill, full metal jacket or apocalypse now

Depending on early or later Vietnam, alot of the guys wore flack jackets aswell

Yeah get some smokes on there and maybe a bottle of foot powder, some anti war slogan on ya lid and some frag grenades on your webbing and roll around in mud and you also need a massive sweat stain on ua back

Looks great, if a bit clean - although it would have been clean when first issued :) A bit of skirmishing will sort that.

One of may mates used to be into Nam soft, he got loads of ideas/advice by going to War and Peace down in Kent in July - although a bit of a trek from Exeter! There are reenactors there from all era's and there were a load of people with Nam kit. They were only too happy to answer questions and recommend kit etc. Plus, you can buy most of the bits you want while you're there.

Great comments guys :) Lots to consider.

I defo think a bit of wear and tear on the kit will add to it. I've actually got a short timers calander writen on the helmet cover and thought I'd leave it just as that (also got a period photo of Catherine Leroy tucked into the band) :)

Side view of my helmet. Really decided to play down the whole graffiti thing this time. Not even sure whether to go for a bottle of bug juice.

The photo is war photographer Catherine Leroy and bizarrely she looks so much like my wife :o

20150611_210921.jpg

Glad to see you've been subtle. Nothing worse than seeing helmets covered in thick marker pen that is totally out of context. I carry a soft pack of Marlboro and an Ace of Spades (Garryowen!)

Just don't tell anyone you're looking for charlie, might end in a powdery purchase. Cracking effort, agree you just need to make it all look more worn, helmet stuff was perfect final piece.

• 10 months later...

Update. My first proper 'in country' event. Up till now I've been the only Nam guy at my Skirmish events. Then I went on Operation Dust-Off :) Thats me nearest the camera on the right

20160501_190926.jpg

Looks like you & the boys got a great look there. I'm fairly new to the forums so I'm catching up on some older threads. I'm glad you updated this because I did want to comment.

I thought the Alice webbing was good and nothing wrong with that. I used Alice myself, it's historically correct. The only thing I would have added was the same others mentioned. Your original look was very clean, you needed to decide who you were depicting. I like the whole grunt thing, marker pen, packs of smokes, crucifix's etc etc but that's just me. Love the M16 by the way, looks way cool (if a little clean ;).

Interesting that I see absolutely no insignia on anyone, is insignia not cool for the Nam milsim boys? Keep up the good work, let us see some more pics.

By the way is that you in the spotty SS smock, K98 and other ranks buckle?

Love it! Love the effort to detail. Just need Charlie Sheen (he's not working now) and the look is finished! Brilliant stuff!

Archived