Advice on CQB Weapon Choice

bowkanehall

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

I am looking to get myself a new CQB setup Short rifle with ample opportunity for upgrade/modification

I am looking to spend in the region of £200 on the weapon

I have been looking at various M4 style frames but am not sure if this is easiest to Upgrade/Mod and also has most amount of available things to add to it (Mags, sights Etc etc)

Also I am looking to stick to around 330 - 340fps and will be getting a speed upgrade on this

HELP Please.....

An m4 will have most upgrade and mod freedom, coz it seems every single airsofter in the country has one or two m4s

I have no doubt that people will suggest getting a g&g CM of some description, every thread like this gets that suggestion from a few people.

Personally, id just try a load of guns at a skirmish. Borrow them off other players and find one in your budget that feels good and shoots well, its always better to try before you buy

I have CQB'd with both 18inch m4 and 10inch m4 and in reality if you use it properly it doesn't make that much real world difference unless you are in the very tightest of tight corridors. The biggest benefit is weight savings.

Obviously your money is your money and if you would like a shorty then by all means go for it, however dont automatically presume or be pressured by t'internet hearsay that cqb must be sub 10inch.

• Supporters

I have CQB'd with both 18inch m4 and 10inch m4 and in reality if you use it properly it doesn't make that much real world difference unless you are in the very tightest of tight corridors. The biggest benefit is weight savings.

Obviously your money is your money and if you would like a shorty then by all means go for it, however dont automatically presume or be pressured by t'internet hearsay that cqb must be sub 10inch.

^^^^^^^^^^^This. A thousand time this.

You don't see real world armed forces using M4s with 3 inch barrels because their CQB gun must be short. Learn how to move about properly instead. That said they DO use SMGs for CQB more frequently so maybe look at MP5s/P90s/MP7/MP9 for something a little different (out of that lot the MP5s probably have the best range of bolt ons and upgrades available).

10.5" M4 should be fine and dandy though if that's your chosen path. Or a short barrel version M416, maybe a SCAR-L CQC (my personal weapon of choice).

I was going to say MP5 but Lozart beat me to it. I had an ICS Sportline MX5A5 and that thing was a beast at CQB - very compact and cracking range. Only issue was it was quite picky about what mags it would feed.

If I were you I'd get a nice AK74U for CQB. You'll have mage interchangeability with your woodland gun too, and side mounting optics and rails will be compatible too.

• Supporters

You don't see real world armed forces using M4s with 3 inch barrels because their CQB gun must be short. Learn how to move about properly instead. That said they DO use SMGs for CQB more frequently so maybe look at MP5s/P90s/MP7/MP9 for something a little different (out of that lot the MP5s probably have the best range of bolt ons and upgrades available).

Unless I am mistaken this is more to do with troops making do with what they've got rather than it being the optimum weapon for the situation. I've heard of US marines putting the butt of their M16 over their shoulder or under their armpit for room clearing.

I can hug walls really tight and aim down sights using a pistol or a short gun like my breacher, with my HK416 I'd have to either extend the gun past the corner or stand back to do the same making myself more exposed.

• Supporters

Unless I am mistaken this is more to do with troops making do with what they've got rather than it being the optimum weapon for the situation. I've heard of US marines putting the butt of their M16 over their shoulder or under their armpit for room clearing.

I can hug walls really tight and aim down sights using a pistol or a short gun like my breacher, with my HK416 I'd have to either extend the gun past the corner or stand back to do the same making myself more exposed.

But that's the whole point. If you want to use an M4, you adapt your movements to compensate. You don't HAVE to have a ridiculous "M4 babby pistol" thing to do CQB. Granted as airsofters we have the choice to use whatever style of weapon we can afford/want but the point remains. You don't NEED anything less than a 10" barrel to play CQB effectively.

Of course - if you look at dedicated anti terrorist groups (SAS, DEVGRU, SWAT etc) then you see an increased use of SMGs for close in work. They're plenty powerful enough against non armoured targets and more manoeuvrable in tight spaces but as soon as the likelihood of body armour goes up so does the choice of weapon (all irrelevant in airsoft but it dictates a choice if you're looking for a specific loadout).

I would recommend the cm16 carbine with the shorter barrel however mine shoots at about 350-355 fps so would probably need a spring change or to be well worn in for your build. However an Ak74u would be cool though plenty of ak upgrade parts available and I havent seen many short barreled ak's around so it would be unique.

• Supporters

CM.045C - has the RIS fitted as standard, unlike the ICS AKS-74U.

There is a particular procedure you have to follow just right to ask them to downgrade the FPS for you, which they will do for the cost of a new spring, so you should email them beforehand to ask. Seriously, do not imagine that you can just email them after the order is placed and say "oops i forgot, can you please..." because it'll be a no can do - possibly something to do with the way instructions are relayed from their English speakers to the Polish tech/s who actually do the job, but whatever, at least one of our members has made the mistake of failing to follow their instructions to the letter and had to get a spring change done by someone else once the gun arrived, which incidentally voids the warranty.

I was totally in love with my ICS one, until she started misfeeding for no apparent reason, but tbf i had messed about with her quite a lot before that happened so it is totally my fault, not ICS's. That said, as stock the IKS-74U, to give it its proper stock number, out of the box is pretty much dedicated to CQB in that its FPS is very consistently around 318-20 on 0.2g BB's, which is fine for what you're looking for, but if you want whatever you buy for CQB to also be backup for woodland the range will not equal that of decently set up guns firing at 345-ish. It's not entirely simple to get the FPS up either, since 1) it's a ballache to get the gearbox out (you need a right angle posi screwdriver) and 2) the spring is permanently attached to the piston head+piston in a fixed assembly and, even though there doesn't seem to be any difference between ICS gearbox parts and other manufacturers', nonetheless mine kept jamming until i stumped up for an ICS aluminium piston. I can't say for sure how true that is across the board, but for certain they are not compatible with external parts/body kits made by other manufacturers. And 3) fitting a 6.03mm TBB on such a short gun only bumps the FPS up to about 337-42, which is still below ideal as a woodland backup, but a 6.01mm (which most people would say is too tight for an assault rifle anyway, but if you're using it almost exclusively on semi then you could afford to buy Blaster Devils) will take you well over 350 and unfortunately a 6.02mm does not turn out to be Baby Bear's TBB as it still produces over 350 from the stock spring.

The CYMA i linked at the top is the VFC clone type, as opposed to the TM clone, however, so it'll be really nice externally and compared to the quality of the ICS, I expect that the only noticeable difference would be the durability of the paint - and let's have it right, an AK should look battered to fuck...

• Supporters

CYMA's own aluminium RIS for AKS-74U costs $32US so it may be cheaper to buy the CM.045, as linked to by Josh above, and fit the RIS yourself, depending on the postage costs. However you could also choose a sexier RIS, like this'n for eg., which is the height of current AK fashion, although I personally prefer the AABB one...

My MP5K is perfect... but you didnt like using it..

Plus ur a big guy so a tiny gun aint gona do u much :)

Stick to your russian gear and go for a AK with no or a folding stock.. or a brace of Skorpions :) plus nades....

My MP5K is perfect... but you didnt like using it..

Plus ur a big guy so a tiny gun aint gona do u much :)

Stick to your russian gear and go for a AK with no or a folding stock.. or a brace of Skorpions :) plus nades....

I can agree, I have an ak with no stock and a skorpion myself.

They work well.

Buy the kwa vz61 if you go for a Skorpion. GBB, 320 fps and roughly 20 rps on full auto - you'll burn through mags but have a lot of fun doing so.

The JG/TM/ASG electric ones are also a good choice if you can find a drum mag for it (300 rounds or so). Only downside is the low fps - 240 or so.

P90 powa! Most comfortable gun for CQB I've ever used and I've tried 4 other guns for CQB lol

If you can use full-auto at the CQB site your going to and have another £100 then yet again I'll recommend the Tokyo Marui high cycle version (fooking love those guns, and own 2).

You mention planning to upgrade speed on whatever you get, so unless the joy of tinkering/upgrading is half the fun then this out the box 25 rps might be easier option. TM also do various other HC versions, such as MP5, AUG, A3

• Supporters

For the love of all that's perforated, don't get a P90...

...unless you've got T-Rex arms!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.