Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brodie

Battery question

7 posts in this topic

Recently got a spare battery.

It is the right config (1500mah, 8.4v)* but it is much smaller in size.

realised its because my old one is nicd, and this new one is ni-mh.

does that matter? i realise theyre just different types of battery with essentially the same charge, so...?

*I deduced the voltage because it is made of clear plastic so i see the cells inside, of which there are seven, at 1.2v each. Sure enough my new batter is hte same, seven cells at 1.2v each

Nickel metal Hydryde (I think) batteries NiMh will give the same voltage and current as the NiCd batteries, nothing to worry about, plus, hey its smaller and lighter :D

also, remember that just because it is seven batteries, it doesn't make it 8.4V

if the batteries are in series you will get 8.4V with 1100Mah (voltage in series adds up, current is constant)

if the batteries are in parrallel you will get 1.2V with 7700Mah (volatge in parralel is constant, current adds up)

Nickel metal Hydryde (I think) batteries NiMh will give the same voltage and current as the NiCd batteries, nothing to worry about, plus, hey its smaller and lighter :D

also, remember that just because it is seven batteries, it doesn't make it 8.4V

if the batteries are in series you will get 8.4V with 1100Mah (voltage in series adds up, current is constant)

if the batteries are in parrallel you will get 1.2V with 7700Mah (volatge in parralel is constant, current adds up)

ok cool.

my first battery had no labels or anything, just clear plastic wrapped round 7 cells, but the cells each had a massive "1500" on em, with lots of chinese everywhere.

then in tiny writing along the bottom was 1.2v on each cell. so in short, i knew the mah but not the voltage.

smaller is nice, but my battery sits in an RIS mounted PEQ box, and what with the box being designed for nicd battery, the little one bangs around in there because the box is too big :rolleyes:

As above... you can get sticky foam pads if you line the PEQ box with the foam there shouldnt be any problems

Ah i didnt know he still had his large type... do what Dave said lol