Gearbox mechanic

sidneysmoke
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, I was wondering about setting up a gearbox repair and upgrade service.

I have built and rebuild my own gearboxes for a year now in pursuit of the best performance on the field.

My boxes now produce very consistent fps right on the site limit and with a ROF of 28RPS reliably week in and out. To get there I have spent over £1000 on gearbox components and tested pretty much every component manufacturer to destruction.

I was thinking of offering the ability to service gearboxes sent to me in the post and also possibly offer a post our service for a "loan" mechbox for folks who don't have the gearbox they desperately need for a weekend skirmish.

I would need to trust folks to install the box in their receivers correctly, set motor height etc.

I would appreciate open feedback. I know a lot of guys like to tinker yourselves or have good local shops who do work at a reasonable charge.

I realise most guys on this forum are experts so wouldn't want this sort of service. Anyway before I rubbish my own idea let me know what you think (you can shoot me down!!).

I'd only do v2 boxes. and TM next gen boxes as this is my area of knowledge. I also have MOSFET and trigger master experience.

I would be doing this for enjoyment and passion for airsoft rather than money. I'm 34 and have a full time job so would be offering my evenings and Saturdays to complete the work. One or two boxes a week would be manageable, there would be a charge per box fix and I'd be buying parts at non trade rates (just passing these costs through in the final bill). Id only charge once you get the box back (nothing upfront) and a suggestion on the box service cost would be appreciated.

Cheers,

• Supporters

so like, the loan box would be sent out, then we send you our dead/rubbish gearbox so we aren't gearboxless over the weekend or whatever? Sounds good.

wonder if ya can help me on one quick problem with one of mine:

No mech problems, gearbox is fine.

Not a motor problem

Wiring gets warm which would indicate a short somewhere, but teh motor still wants to spin, but doesn't have the power to.

but only some of the time... the rest of the time it fires like new. I'm usually quite good at this kinda thing but it has COMPLETELY stumped me.

Check the motor brushes. When they are worn right down they can create an unreliable connection which almost "feels" like a jam as the motor gets stuck. This is hard to spot as the problem can be intermittent. Generally it gets gradually worse and worse, happening more frequently. Even if there is some 'meat' on the brushes you need to check the small springs are providing enough pressure to keep them in contact and also check that the thin wires on the back of the brushes are not snagging on the motor top stopping the brush moving as far in as it needs to..

Good luck.

• Supporters

A gearbox repair service is very nice, not too sure on the loan service though, don't think that would get used too often,

What about for example people sent you the Lower receiver and pistol grip with the gearbox (example: M4) in that way if a gearbox came in for a repair you could set the motor height etc for them ofc its up to you if you want to charge more for the this special service.

Matt, good point. I want to avoid sending larger parcels but a lower and grip might be ok.

I think it's important to show credibility so would record pictures of the work. e.g. broken parts found and the new internals in the shell (before closing it). I would use a spare grip to test the box before posting it back,

Alex, upgrades would be really welcomed. My original KA box latest one skirmish. Stock boxes can be hit and miss but you are very lucky if your AEG comes with a box which is close to your sites fps limit, can handle decent ROF reliably and is consistent in FPS shot to shot. It would be pretty easy to complete a chrono and RPS check of the box in an M4 I have. OR full gun posting may be the way forward for upgrades. I really wanted something I could take to work in my bag and post :huh:

I think the biggest cost to folks on upgrades would be the parts as I wouldn't want to put a load of crap in the box. I've found some cheaper parts that are ok but in the main you get what you pay for.

Thanks for all the comments.

• AF-UK Founding Member

In my experience, people that don't want to fix it themselves or want upgrades but don't know how, wouldn't want to be dismantling it to just send certain bits either, they'll just want to send the gun in it's entirety. If you say that they have to include a fee to have it posted back then I can't see this being too much of a problem for you.

Business will be the hardest thing to get though imo.

I can vouch for this guy as he plays at my local site! his rifs have some seriouse R.O.F, his king arms in perticular.

I used his gun in a skirmish and it is very GOOD it sounds like a mini gun is on site. Although on the down side he rattles through bbs lol

Hi Rich bye the way!

Matt.

Archived