Homemade Project

Ex-STAB-Inf
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Okay i am fairly new to this game so i expect a lot of incoming and a ribbing however, I'm looking at making my own Pistol mag pouch out of canvas to fit 2x M1911 mags.

The canvas i will be using is a cannibalised British Army Kit Bag, and parts of a 1958 'Not so large' pack so its pretty heavy duty where it needs to be and is the right colour.

The idea is to use 'lift the dot' snaps for closing the pouch or heavy duty velcro depending on how it goes initialy. Also as i'm going to be using 58 webbing I shall be using the standard C clips or at a pinche ALICE clips to mount it on the belt (with a liberal helping of black nasty should I opt for the latter)

Only problem I have really is stitching the blasted stuff, I dont own a machine so it looks like i will be doing it by hand, so what really are the best needles and threads to be using for canvas? Also has anyone else been knocking up their own pouches?

Ah this is where 2nd class seamanship (and yes i said seaman... grow up poeple) comes into play...

The best needles to use on canvas are sailmakers needle... there HUGE and very very sharp... the thing is if your tring to push through a needle into canvas your going to end up with the needle through your hand... you need a sailmakers palm to saftly push through the canvas

Dont ask me where the hell to get them... as i only use them at cadets.... but there deffently the way to go

Okay i am fairly new to this game so i expect a lot of incoming and a ribbing however, I'm looking at making my own Pistol mag pouch out of canvas to fit 2x M1911 mags.

The canvas i will be using is a cannibalised British Army Kit Bag, and parts of a 1958 'Not so large' pack so its pretty heavy duty where it needs to be and is the right colour.

The idea is to use 'lift the dot' snaps for closing the pouch or heavy duty velcro depending on how it goes initialy. Also as i'm going to be using 58 webbing I shall be using the standard C clips or at a pinche ALICE clips to mount it on the belt (with a liberal helping of black nasty should I opt for the latter)

Only problem I have really is stitching the blasted stuff, I dont own a machine so it looks like i will be doing it by hand, so what really are the best needles and threads to be using for canvas? Also has anyone else been knocking up their own pouches?

don't use velcro it will get stuck to everything that moves

Just done a quick search for both on fleabay and amazon to check them out and they definatly look the way forward, even better as I live by the coast there are a couple of Chandleries close by so once all the Christmas shopping is done I'll have a good look in there to see if they have any in store :)

All I can really say is that it's going to be interesting how this turns out

Cheers JT

Archived