Mk6/Mk7 British helmets.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I for one will take an interest in arresting you if you manage to procure a Mk7 helmet as they are on the prohibited list. Stick to Mk6's please! :)

Civi's aren't allowed to own them yet - they've not been made surplus so any being sold are stolen from the MOD by cheeky chappies.

Same way MTP was prohibited for civilians to own until enough was procured for the troops.

Have you actually got the legislation to support that?, Obviously selling unauthorised ex MOD kit is illegal, but the items themselves aren't as far as I can tell.

I have legitimate access to a Mk7 and know many that do, and Level 4 plates for that matter. I can guarantee if you approached Morgan with enough cash, you could walk out with a Mk7.

Have you actually got the legislation to support that?, Obviously selling unauthorised ex MOD kit is illegal, but the items themselves aren't as far as I can tell.

I have legitimate access to a Mk7 and know many that do, and Level 4 plates for that matter. I can guarantee if you approached Morgan with enough cash, you could walk out with a Mk7.

It would count as stolen property?

Found the export restrictions https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/313616/strategic-export-control-militarylist20140517.pdf

Ebay also has policy on it and apart from the fact its common theft is that enough for you? Cant track down the specific DIN at the moment but will keep looking :)

If its so illegal, how come the MoD hasn't cracked down on the sale of them on ebay? The current price for a good condition or new Mk7 is between £70-100.

I know RMP and MoD have pursued cases in the past for certain items, but nothing seems to be done in this case?

A friend of mine who is a serving QM has told me that the only items of accountable kit on your 1157 are now the Mk7 and the GSR, everything else gets written off.

Is it only illegal if the helmet was listed on a 1157 or 1098, or are they all universally considered stollen if not returned, and them not being listed as returnable kit a clerical error rather than permission to keep/sell?

Surely if the MoD considered all Mk7s as their property and have not given permission for any to be sold privately, then ebay would not be allowing the sales to go ahead as they would be assisting in the sale of stolen goods?

Has anyone heard of anyone having been prosecuted for selling a Mk7?

Has anyone ever been arrested for owning one they were not issued??!!

I'm guessing no, but I'd be very interested to hear Evilmonkee's thoughts? I'm sure he could shed some light on this?

Perhaps there are so many Mk7s out there now that the MoD considers any sort of legal action impracticable and unsustainable?

I get the export ban, it is for very good reasons, but domestic, UK based private sales? There's no legal difference between a Mk6 and a Mk7, they're ballistic helmets.

No insinuation intended. Selling one THAT HAS BEEN ISSUED to you (Caps for emphasis) is illegal. There is a team that looks at this currently but they are probably so over worked.....

Apologies for derailing the thread, its just this particular issue is a bit of a bête noire of mine.

No insinuation intended. Selling one THAT HAS BEEN ISSUED to you (Caps for emphasis) is illegal. There is a team that looks at this currently but they are probably so over worked.....

Apologies for derailing the thread, its just this particular issue is a bit of a bête noire of mine.

It's fine, it's just something to talk about!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.