Version 3 Gearbox stops when I put it back in grip.

Spartan13

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

The piston failed in my G36 recently and I replaced it, when I rebuilt it and checked that everything was working it fired perfectly. When I put the gun back together it wouldnt fire. Stripped out the gearbox and it fired perfectly, put it back in and it wont fire. Does the same thing every time, all the wiring looks good, everything is fitted correctly (i think). Can anyone help?

• Supporters

Most probably something has changed around the trigger contact. Maybe the two copper contacts came a bit more apart, meaning the trigger needs to be pulled a bit more than before. In the G36 the hole in the grip for the trigger is not long enough to allow the trigger to fully move back.

Check the trigger switch contacts or make the hole for the trigger a bit bigger.

A few possibilities spring to my mind:

- If some of the gearbox wiring is inside the gun and not part of your test there is a chance that is broken, I would test it with an amp meter or just connect the battery through it to confirm all the wiring is healthy.

- There is a chance that something is getting stuck on the casing of the gun. Make sure the safe/semi/auto switch is moving the way its meant to and the trigger has full range and isn't getting caught on the gun case.

Ultimately there aren't many things that given a gearbox works outside of the gun that can stop it functioning once its installed. Ultimately it must be a physical obstruction on a key function from the gearbox or faulty wiring meaning power isn't getting there for the motor not to spin and then turn the gearbox over.

Have you tried fitting the gearbox into the receiver and test firing it without the pistol grip fitted (something easy to do on a V3 gearbox)? If so, did it work then, or not? If it did work, then fitting the pistol grip is what is causing the problem. If it didn't work, then as mentioned above, it's probably the trigger not moving far enough back or the selector plate is getting hung up on the receiver side somehow.

With V3 gearboxes you do need to be careful when fitting the pistol grip that you only use the correct length screw to hold on the grip, otherwise a too long screw will press down on the bottom of the motor housing and stop the motor from turning when power is applied via the trigger switch.

Guys thanks for the help, it was all invaluable i went through all the things you suggested and I think samurai and bright candle maybe right, tinkered about today with the gearbox and I have found that when the grip casing is on it restricts trigger movement but if I push the trigger to the right it fires perfectly, when released it wont fire. I think I am going to be looking at the casing with a file and opening the gearbox again to check those plates out for a better connection.

Really appreciate all your wisdom and I will let you know how it works out.

Just an update, tried above and adjusted the contacts and just for good measure i opened the trigger hole a little further for more travel, it all fires beautifully again. Guys thank you for all the help.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.