The GBBR Thread

Airsoft-Ed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yup, NPAS is what you need, check out the video posted previously, it basically acts as a gas regulator, allowing you to control the amount of gas used to propel the BB. I have mine set to 340fps, but that can then vary depending on the ambient conditions.

It means if you have the accuracy and range, just turn it up to DMR levels should you need to!

Ed mentioned earlier, as an experiment, cranking up the NPAS to the max, going with the strongest gas and heavy weight BBs and seeing what the FPS is and what damage you can actually do with one! Might give it a go myself!

My 416 has a 250mm inner barrel, but I've also got a 500mm inner barrel to go the full length of a dummy suppressor! That should make it sting a tad! :P

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I would say about spray oil, as I would about any oil really which one uses in a gun, but particularly when it is thin enough to be sprayed, is that it has the disadvantage of not being as thick as grease, so it will run down the parts and collect in lower spaces eventually. Everyone should be aware of that if they lube any gun up with thin oil and then leave it for a while.

You do that and go out and fire it without having recently lubricated it, and you will be mistaken if you think all of those working parts still have sufficient lubrication on them! Of course in a firearm, you don't have to worry about the thickness of grease and its practicality, because a firearm heats up a lot when you fire it, so you can get away with that on a firearm, but not so much with a GBB of course, although obviously friction will heat moving parts up a bit.

• Supporters

I see, will an NPAS fit a G5? is there a specific make or model that ill need?

There'll be some sort of NPAS available for it, or at least a different nozzle valve that you can fit to alter the power.

There'll be some sort of NPAS available for it, or at least a different nozzle valve that you can fit to alter the power.

found one at Milspec. Im just thinking how i will upgrade the G5 over time, is there any benefit to extending the barrel and turning the NPAS down to keep the FPS around 340? i'm not sure if i remember from somewhere that barrel length on a GBB does have a significant effect on accuracy, but i may well be mistaken :P

• Supporters

Nah barrel length doesn't alter the accuracy, my SCAR barrel is barely half the length of my L85 barrel, it's not even an upgraded barrel, but the SCAR's waaaayyy more accurate than the L85. My Glock is comparable to most AEGs and the barrel in that is around 5 inches long lol.

In fact the SCAR makes it seem almost like shorter wider barrels are better for accuracy in GBBs, I've been tempted to test it by fitting the SCAR's inner barrel in the L85 to see if it makes the L85 better, but I'm in two minds about it because that'd leave the outer barrel twice as long as the inner and I can imagine the BB hitting the outer barrel before it's free of it...

Might do it over the weekend anyway because I've got nothing better to do and actually have two SCAR CQB stock inner barrels, I'll see how I feel.

Just the thread I need. I've just ordered a WE Scar from Taiwan Gun which should be here by Tuesday. It's my first GBBR, but I am looking at getting more later on down the line. There's lads of helpful info in this thread and I'm sure I'll be back with questions once I've messed about with my Scar for a bit.

• Supporters

Just the thread I need. I've just ordered a WE Scar from Taiwan Gun which should be here by Tuesday. It's my first GBBR, but I am looking at getting more later on down the line. There's lads of helpful info in this thread and I'm sure I'll be back with questions once I've messed about with my Scar for a bit.

Be careful with the nozzle as they have a tendency to break at the loading nub when the magazines you're using are new.

If you fully load the magazines the pressure from the magazine spring can press against the nozzle so hard that it snaps off the bit that loads shots into the hop unit. So you can either short load the mags for a bit, or the easiest thing to do is just lock the bolt back manually before inserting the mag.

Once the mags have had a couple of hundred shots through them the springs ought to relax enough to not run as high a risk of damaging the nozzle but it's still worth being aware of.

Great thread this guys. Had a CO2 KWC mini Uzi for a while now, modded the blow back valve so it fires sub 350 and really love it, just need some more mags when I get round to it. Recently got hold of an SRC AKS74U on a half price offer at Airsoft World and have to say I'm really liking it, it may not have the best reviews ever but its well built, from steel in the main, and SRCshop sell spares for them if/when anything goes wrong. (WE are doing this gun too now.) 45 round mags are quite useful over 30 round AR mags, fires around 370fps currently with 0.2s, but planning a valve mod as with the Mini Uzi to bring it sub 350. Work so far has centred on fitting a Vector rail and a few other bits. Not skirmished it yet, but come the spring I plan too! Pic taken from AK picture thread.

post-8821-0-59688100-1420835378_thumb.jpg

(edited as posted from phone before finished lol)

found one at Milspec. Im just thinking how i will upgrade the G5 over time, is there any benefit to extending the barrel and turning the NPAS down to keep the FPS around 340? i'm not sure if i remember from somewhere that barrel length on a GBB does have a significant effect on accuracy, but i may well be mistaken :P

The very best thing you can do with a G5 is leave it alone, they need nothing out of the box, you will spend needless money that can be better spent elsewhere

• Supporters

Surely the order is hop rubber, hop unit and then ammo? Lol.

Tbh it could be argued the unit is more important than the rubber, BB is definitely the least important though.

Though if we play Devil's advocate, the best thing you can do for accuracy is improve your shot to shot fps consistency so that it's nigh on exactly the same each time, as consistency in power will help significantly with the repeatability of your shot placement.
Unfortunately, using gas as a propellant, especially in a gas blowback platform, makes that level of consistency impossible, even with HPA set-ups =[

The very best thing you can do with a G5 is leave it alone, they need nothing out of the box, you will spend needless money that can be better spent elsewhere

Sure I saw a deal for the G5 with 4 mags, gasand lube in AI mag, around £385 iirc (think it was Pro Airsoft Supplies but may be wrong).

Be careful with the nozzle as they have a tendency to break at the loading nub when the magazines you're using are new.

If you fully load the magazines the pressure from the magazine spring can press against the nozzle so hard that it snaps off the bit that loads shots into the hop unit. So you can either short load the mags for a bit, or the easiest thing to do is just lock the bolt back manually before inserting the mag.

Once the mags have had a couple of hundred shots through them the springs ought to relax enough to not run as high a risk of damaging the nozzle but it's still worth being aware of.

Cheers for that Ed, I wasn't aware of that one. So you're saying lock the bolt back before inserting the first mag, then bolt release catch to close the bolt. Then each mag change should be ok because the bolt will be locked back when the mags empty?

• Supporters

Cheers for that Ed, I wasn't aware of that one. So you're saying lock the bolt back before inserting the first mag, then bolt release catch to close the bolt. Then each mag change should be ok because the bolt will be locked back when the mags empty?

Correct :)

Sure I saw a deal for the G5 with 4 mags, gasand lube in AI mag, around £385 iirc (think it was Pro Airsoft Supplies but may be wrong).

A link would earn you a forum high-five, though you know what they say about things that are too good to be true...

Proairsoftsupplies website shows no g5s in stock

If after GHK guns then Samoon are well worth checking out. Fantastc service, free bits and they understand our customs/VAT rules. Fast shipping too and probs cheapest G5 mags you'll find if buying in pairs!

Samoon is effectively the GHK factory shop - and others have said, great service.

I think this may well be what happened to my WE P228. I had been filling the mags really well, so perhaps i can do those things with my pistol as well

I see, will an NPAS fit a G5? is there a specific make or model that ill need?

There's no actual NPAS for the G5 - the one Milspec sell (and I use) is just a screw thread and screw carefully drilled in to the side of the exit port to reduce gas flow. It does the job, but it's not linear in power reduction.

If you use a G5 stock you don't need one. I only had to get one as my carbine kit meant I was shooting ~370 at the height of summer on the stock nozzle (wide open the Milspec sold one would let me shoot over 400, but I was also able to crank it down to 330). BTW if you do find yourself too high then you can try a lower pressure gas - I actually used 144a (took me down from ~370 - ~300) - though I only had that on me as I was also using a Maruzen Walther PPK the same day.

A link would earn you a forum high-five, though you know what they say about things that are too good to be true...

Proairsoftsupplies website shows no g5s in stock

Will get back to you, I'm away for weekend but can assure you it was genuine UK offer, I'm not in the habit of making stuff up lol, was in the last issue (SBS loadout on cover).

Will get back to you, I'm away for weekend but can assure you it was genuine UK offer, I'm not in the habit of making stuff up lol, was in the last issue (SBS loadout on cover).

I trust you, perhaps the offer was so popular they have none left now :P

I trust you, perhaps the offer was so popular they have none left now :P

Wouldnt surprise me, picked mag up before xmas ,noticed it was a good offer but as wasn't after one I clearly didn't pay the vendor enough attention lol. :)

Surely the order is hop rubber, hop unit and then ammo? Lol.

Tbh it could be argued the unit is more important than the rubber, BB is definitely the least important though.

Though if we play Devil's advocate, the best thing you can do for accuracy is improve your shot to shot fps consistency so that it's nigh on exactly the same each time, as consistency in power will help significantly with the repeatability of your shot placement.

Unfortunately, using gas as a propellant, especially in a gas blowback platform, makes that level of consistency impossible, even with HPA set-ups =[

not sure if this applies to HPA as the regulator will ensure the same pressure shot to shot (it will vary slightly depending on how the reg reacts to pressure change).

Archived