Gun Transport/Display Setups

TheFull9

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Thread title says it. Built myself a pistol rack out of some cheap wood last week, much better solution than I had before (i.e. all the handguns just sort of crammed haphazardly next to some other gear on a shelf).

15527675174_8a833b86f1_b.jpg

Nice job! Nice collection too.

• Supporters

Good job, Chris. Like the way there's room for some more :)

• Supporters

Yeah.. there actually isn't, just missing 2 Glocks from the picture, ha.

That was as wide as I could make it to fit in the space available though, so cest la vie. Main thing is I learnt a fair bit during the build process and the shopping for the materials about what's available to work with and ways to make maximum possible use of the space. Mk2 will probably be an upside-down T shape to double capacity while still just using the one vertical board, a different hole pattern for the pegs and proper wood instead of reconstituted stuff. The plyboard does work alright, takes a stain and is mega cheap, MDF would make for neater results but looks even uglier than than the ply. Looking around B&Q and Homebase though I found all-pine 'furniture board' which comes in pieces far wider than the average plank, as well as stuff called 'hobbyboard' which comes in some nice hard woods and looks to be planks that are glued and heat pressed together to essentially make one piece. Costs about £15-20 for a big enough board to make what I need, but that will be essentially the entire monetary outlay; which is very reasonable for a quality storage solution I'd say.

That's extremely reasonable compared to some of these airsoft specific rifle/pistol storage solutions- the modular rifle rack sold on AW is ridiculously expensive!

This has got me thinking. I am going to need a case for my Owen gun.

9_%20Owen%20Mk%20I%20field%20stripped%20

it should come apart for storage so 3 sections for Stock, Reciever and front end.

Hmm, something like this maybe: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0049PBLEQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3WSG2SBMDT50

Add some dividers and some elastic or velcro straps for mags inside the lid and it will even work as a seat.

Hehe could be the most unusual gun case for the most unusual gun :)

• 1 month later...

Lovin' the Man-Cave Mack! Tacti-cool!!!!

i gotta make me one of those PC/Helmet display stands!! And it's in camo too!!! :wub:

I'm moving in to a new place at the end of the month that has a spare down stairs reception room, I'm thinking Man-Cave/Study/workshop/gun room/memorabilia!!!

I'm looking at some peg board and hooks to display all my gun on one wall, if any one has any experience or trip for me, I'd much appreciate it

Lovin' this thread already!!

• Supporters

Peg board is really versatile and relatively hardwearing, but only if used right - if you accidentally overload it, it tears easily and looks so shit - like a 1970's hardware shop :lol: TBF it doesn't look much good even when it's freshly painted. You might be able to find something cooler intended for shopfitting. Perhaps even cheap on fleabay if you're prepared to collect it in person.

Hmm interesting Ian, got any pics or names of the stuff I could search for? I have two rifles and three pistols at the moment, so I guess you're looking at about 13kg all up weight. I found some 18mm and 25mm pegboard on Amazon, I'm guessing it's referring to the thickness, I would have thought 1" thick would be pretty strong?

• Supporters

Hmm interesting Ian, got any pics or names of the stuff I could search for? I have two rifles and three pistols at the moment, so I guess you're looking at about 13kg all up weight. I found some 18mm and 25mm pegboard on Amazon, I'm guessing it's referring to the thickness, I would have thought 1" thick would be pretty strong?

Yeah, I'd imagine so too, but I have seen it mangled so it is possible - I'm guessing that if you don't fit the hooks properly they rip out. The only stuff I can remember the proper name for is "Twin Slot" - it's not as inherently customisable as peg board, but it is definitely strong enough to take any of the abuse hanging guns from it may present and, being steel, it doesn't scuff up.

Lovin' the Man-Cave Mack! Tacti-cool!!!!

i gotta make me one of those PC/Helmet display stands!! And it's in camo too!!! :wub:

I'm moving in to a new place at the end of the month that has a spare down stairs reception room, I'm thinking Man-Cave/Study/workshop/gun room/memorabilia!!!

I'm looking at some peg board and hooks to display all my gun on one wall, if any one has any experience or trip for me, I'd much appreciate it

Lovin' this thread already!!

I've got some similar to peg board,

Out of the post office over my road, they were refurbishing so I just asked and took some, just need hooks and whalla

Slatwall? The type with the metal reinforcing in the groove. You can get all sorts of hooks for that I think. Seen it used in plenty of airsoft shops.

Those displays and collections are fantastic. My own modest collection dwells in gun cases in the spare room. But I can at least show the current Mrs. Skeeter that I have some way to go to before she can say I have too many.

Slatwall? The type with the metal reinforcing in the groove. You can get all sorts of hooks for that I think. Seen it used in plenty of airsoft shops.

http://www.theshopfittingsstore.co.uk/slatwall-panels/2400x1200mm-slatwall-panels/white-slatwall-panels-click-to-see-discounts-/prod_164.html

Top tip Ted! Thanks, I think I may have just found the solution for my gun displaying - book shelves - and eclectic military hat collection needs!!

http://www.theshopfittingsstore.co.uk/slatwall-panels/2400x1200mm-slatwall-panels/white-slatwall-panels-click-to-see-discounts-/prod_164.html

Top tip Ted! Thanks, I think I may have just found the solution for my gun displaying - book shelves - and eclectic military hat collection needs!!

This is the Pegboard that I use and I love it to death.

http://s13.postimg.org/pmt66pqsn/DSC_0096.jpg

Metal ones are brilliant because I can stick the magnetic dishes for screws and stuff onto the board. And you can mount guns and stuff onto it, you can see my power screwdriver mounted to it on the bottom left.

Cool!

Decisions, decisions........

• Supporters

I bought a plastic peg-board & tubs kit a while back but didn't get round to attaching it to a wall - this thread has finally guilted me into pulling my finger out:

IMAG0495.jpg

...although this is actually only half of it: there's another back board & more tubs but i ran out of rawlplugs and motivation :lol:

For the moment i've just tossed a bunch of stuff that was lying around on my desk into it, but when I fit the 2nd board above this, I will have a major boost to the tidiness and efficiency of my gun teching efforts. I'm tempted to buy a few of the back boards to use to attach my guns to a wall in my back bedroom too, so I can use the same tubs for accessories, but that will depend on whether ordinary peg board hooks will fit into the holes...

So, Undieing_Lust, what diameter is the steel rod your hooks are made from, please?

Well I have my case just about finished for my Owen gun. It is a wooden box bought off amazon, lined internally with craft foam and externally with lots of different pictures relating to WW2 Australia (recruitment posters, newspaper clippings, photos, paintings) glued on with PVA. I then varnished it and replaced the flimsy hinges with T hinges and a hasp and staple. I am still debating handles or lee enfield sling loops (I will have to carry a sling anyway so why not use it to carry the box). I will try to have photo's next week, when I have the Owen gun.

Although all the posts are 'display' based, the title does include transport, so here is my packed gun case :)

(Hopefully I can twist the other halves arm around to letting me have a display area - until then, its all stuff in a wardrobe :(

GunTransport_zps52709b3a.png

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.