First AK12 in Production

AK47frizzle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Unfortunately, it doesn't do that with a V3. I have the exact cyma V3 gearbox you just bought, and with V3s, there is no motor height adjusting, it's all fixed in position. I have a feeling you might need to bring out the DIY tools...

My old Cyma 28s has the motor height adjustment grub screw beneath the pistol grip screw so it may have it?

It doesn't. That's there to hold the motor cage in place.

Unless we're at cross purposes, it certainly does:

post-8821-0-65123900-1415047402_thumb.jpg

the allen key is in the motor height adjusting grub screw, you can see the Cyma markings (CM02) on the motor cage. :)

Although its a few years old so maybe they've done away with them on newer versions, seems a backward step though.

• Supporters

Yeah I know that technically you don't need a UKARA at all to paint the thing up, and i cetainly don't need a UKARA even though I have one, because at the start of the video, you can see the training room where I teach CGI film effects, including how to do all that CGI which was at the start of the review, and personally, I think VCR Act is a bunch of typical UK-esque knee-jerk reaction bullshit, nevertheless, I'm very aware that - especially on a youtube video - we airsofters do not want to come across as irresponsible dickheads, so I think it best to err on the side of being seen to be responsible.

Yeah, but no need to be inaccurate or talk up UKARA any more than necessary. It's about 'legislation creep' - if we behave as if UKARA is a licence, it may very well become one. It's not difficult to say, or understand, "If you change an Imitation Firearm into a Realistic Imitation Firearm by changing its colour, you must use it for airsoft, film making, or re-enactment, etc otherwise doing so is illegal."

Thanks for the rest of the info. It does look standard TM compatible. As Samurai said, even that hop unit looks as if the non-standard block is a bolt on part, so it should be possible to make a good hop unit fit. I'd definitely get rid of that barrel - any old proper 6.08mm barrel would probably be better. The hop rubber could probably be a lot better also, and may as well add an H-Nub while you have the hop apart. I'd also follow Friz's advice about direct wiring instead of those connectors, as well as soldering the motor connections when you get the new GB. You know the stock spring in a CM02 GB is about M125, right?

I have to say I'm tempted.

Unless we're at cross purposes, it certainly does:

attachicon.gifIMG_20141103_202113.jpg

the allen key is in the motor height adjusting grub screw, you can see the Cyma markings (CM02) on the motor cage. :)

Although its a few years old so maybe they've done away with them on newer versions, seems a backward step though.

I had a CM031 project gun which was supposedly a newer model and it had the motor height grub screw,I'm pretty sure most newer ones do too,It would be extremely frustrating to use shims or somesuch to adjust height which is such a critical part of bevel-pinion shimming.

• 2 weeks later...

CYMA-02 Gearbox has arrived from Hong Kong, so I'll be attempting to swap out the original plastic one for the CYMA one this weekend. The CYMA one looks like it uses an allen-key for the motor gear meshing height adjustment on the bottom of the pistol grip.

Note that it cost me an additional 3.11 quid in DHL 'handling charges', so the total cost for the gearbox including postage and that handling charge was 40.13 quid (approximately 60 US Dollars). This was from www.ehobbyasia.com. It arrived well packaged and it took eleven days from placing the order, until it arrived, so not too bad time-wise from Hong Kong.

I reckon it will drop in fairly easily, possibly without very much, if any tweaking at all, but I guess we'll see. Will post some pics of it when done.

• Supporters

dualdealshop on fleabay is the cheapest at £37.50 posted, iirc. The spring in it will be too hot - around M125.

• Supporters

well done sir - if I didn't have so many guns I would be getting 1 or 2

not much to add but I think 5% off coupons are still valid = £66:50 delivered

codes horse or coconut

but if you wanna save a little more then crazyeyes = 7% = £65.05 delivered

(£4:90 saved)

dunno why Dom does those bloody daft youtube discount codes

total tw*t on coconut - who the heck got his bird to do the horse one

and crazy eyes will scare young kids - but hey they help get a few quid off so wtf

AHHHhhh double wtf - ordered one - dunno when I will get round to swapping it out

but for 65 I could not silence those "buy me" screams no more - damn it

• Supporters

Great job, Chock! I'm sooooooooooo tempted...

BTW, that screw in the bottom of the motor cage of V3 gearboxes does not adjust the motor height, it just holds the pistol grip on. The motor adjustment is done by a grub screw with a hex key.

AHHHhhh double wtf - ordered one - dunno when I will get round to swapping it out

but for 65 I could not silence those "buy me" screams no more - damn it

LMAO. Well, at least you'll be the only one at your skirmish with an AK12.

I'm starting to kind of like its looks now it has a tac light, foregrip and red dot sight on it

• Supporters

Got mine today, not really played or fired it but a quick couple of things

Barrel is 100m shorter than it could/should be - chock did mention this I know

BUT - one thing that should be noted and I never fully realised....

This is NOT gonna be a regular skirmish weapon I think coz it won't be so easy to service

and maintain - eg: - hop up clean/replacement - the 2 halves will have to come apart again

to replace hop up - so the threads will soon strip

Now hopefullu somebody like CYMA or maybe JG may remake the ar$e end coz it is just

a usual AK front end but more modern body - can't be that hard to remodel a reg AK47

body - I mean we have numerous options to replace a cheap plastic CM28 with a metal

body so maybe CM or JG will remake a half decent plastic and maybe later metal body

This will make the gun easy to service and maintain - atm don't expect this AK12 to last

if you keep taking it apart like I said - but better body and you are onto a winner I reckon

I like it - sort of modern AK - ergh yeah that was the idea I know

but think it would be a good cross over from the normal M4 user to try out

So c'mon on Cyma & JG - make a proper body and start making us a better AK12

reckon it will be a good seller - well I will buy one/two

will play more with later but hopup replacement can be a bitch on this Viper one

so don't rush out and buy it if you thinking of using it a lot chaps

• Supporters

So have you fitted a new hop into yours, SD, or is that just your impression?

I ask because I'd like to know for sure whether a standard AK hop chamber fits into that plate arrangement. Self tapping screw holes into plastic can always be filled in and retapped. Not that I wouldn't prefer CYMA or D-Boys to make a steel AK-12 receiver, or G&P to make an aluminium one, but just saying that there are options.

• Supporters

Not taken any of my AKs apart yet so no AK expert

BUT was just saying these cheapo guns are not designed to be taken apart regularly
So say you change hop up rubber in 6 months time then these cheapo guns may
and I say "may" not hold up well over time and like my B500A1 ooh it is a git to open
where as a TM compat M4 pops open much easier to say change hop up rubber

It is not gonna be an easy gun to maintain coz of its cheap build
Just thought about stuff like changing hop up rubber and ooh crap its all gotta come apart again

OK well you could pop in say a 400mm barrel and hop up n rubber, but still if it needs

a bit of cleaning, servicing & tweaking then it is not same as servicing "normal" AEG's

that was what i was meaning and thought it should be taken into account before buying

c'mon CYMA knock out a new AK12 rear end by the New Year maybe ????????

It's a good point about the durability of it in terms of taking it apart often, in fact, where the mag release spring lever attaches is very weak, to the extent that I basically remade that part with an additional bolt through the other side of the tube which the catch sits on, in order to stop that from coming apart as the spring puts the plastic under quite a lot of tension. It's likely that I'll do some kind of mod with all the screw holes too, since - as it comes - the screw holes are likely to strip their threads easily.

Took it to a skirmish on Sunday, didn't use it myself as I was using my M4, but I did lend it to someone else when their gun stopped working. It had a few minor issues with the fire selector, but it was basically usable and I know the guy got a few kills with it, although the battery is certainly not up to an entire day and I did in fact put a spare one in there after a while.

• Supporters

I bought a B500A1 & Well D68 (M4 & G36 cheapo) at first and they could at a scrape

work ok-ish and I do say ISH on cqb but never really for anything at woodland site

but AK12 is longer (even though they probably used the D68/AK74 inner barrel in there)

so may not be compact for cqb - but chock has given it a good boost with a proper G/box

to give it back a bit of ooomph out in the field

I gave in and bought one and probably never get around to putting in a g/box as it slowly

dawned on me about bucking & maintaining it once I had her out the box - damn it

Think most of us would like the traditional AK's to be a little more "mount" friendly like the

AK12 but alas the AK mounting system is a bit limited and often needs a little mod or tweak

to fit some rails on there if they are not specific to your own AK:

side SVD quick detach or screw on TM type AK plus the RIS battery cover that seems to fit

only on some cyma 39's there is also another one I found recently but seems overkill to me

http://www.khmountain.com/airsoft/product_info.php?products_id=3268

on the DIY side of things - the best possible DIY mount seems to be this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hunting-Dovetail-to-Weaver-Adapter-Picatinny-Rail-Scope-Mount-100mm-Length-/331327022780?pt=UK_SportingGoods_Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item4d24a126bc

note how it is curved underneath to help affix to top/battery cover though you still have some bumps or

ridges to file down/remove or groove the rail underneath - quite likely the curve or contour may not be

a perfect or complete 101% match but certainly better than most "flat" underside rails

The main pain is it being a tad short 100mm, a 150mm would be better but suppose fit 2 x 100mm I guess

At least if this DIY version was fitted then it wouldn't be such a pain to change battery for some compact AK's

The side fitted mounts or 39 mount could be a pain if battery was in top cover

The Tri-Mount on KH Mountain has the main rail raised maybe too much I think

and the main iron sight on AK sits very very low, so moving back just the rear iron sight even on a slightly

higher rail will very likely require the from sight being raised too perhaps

Hence the AK12 has real advantages with its more modern out of the box rail look

but there are some possible rail options for classic AK's and do hope Cyma might do a " 12 " based rear end

AK coz I do like it. Plus the Airsoft AK's do hold up very well even if you hate them - they do hold their own if

you give them a go

OOoopps soz for going on - probably leave my AK12 as is for now as I said I dunno when I will get round to it

(If I actually bother doing the g-box mod - but mega kudos to Chock)

• 1 month later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.