DMR. why???

Richie Boyle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

IIRC site rules for fps are:

sniper 500 fps (side arm is compulsory)

DMR 400 fps

all others 350 fps

as I understand a DMR, it has to be locked to semi auto which rules it out as a support weapon

what is the purpose of this designation? Sacrificing full auto for an extra 50 fps seems daft when you could go to 500 with a sniper rifle, especially if you have a full auto pistol ready to defend yourself

I only use full auto for short bursts to suppress the enemy. Semi is very inaccurate but hopefully the upgrades will help. I noticed last time that it curved left then right then centre. That was semi and trying to hit someone who evidently was out of my range but within his

The point of a DMR over a single shot sniper rifle is that you can follow up with a second shot so much quicker than is possible with a spring powered rifle. You also usually have a slightly shorter MED, as the FPS of the DMR is that much less than a spring sniper rifle, so you can be closer to your target without the BB carrying enough energy to actually cause injury.

If you want to play as a real sniper then you need a fully upgraded rifle and be looking to engage targets at 50 - 80 yards from good cover, whereas playing as a designated marksman means you can be with, or in support of, other team players and not need to hide away for that "out of the blue" kill at extreme range.

If your BB is curving in flight then either your hop needs some work, or the BB was being moved by the wind. Even a light wind can have an effect on the flight path of a BB and a stronger one can make it curve 90 degrees from the intended course so you can shoot round corners -_- Did that a few years back at Dragon Valley when it really was too windy to play properly.

• Supporters

Not all sites have the 350 AEG/400 DMR/500 BASR limits.

I know of a few sites that allow 500 FPS DMRs, and others that have 450 or 425 limits for them.

That extra 50 FPS allows you to use a slightly heavier BB, but with it reaching the target in the same time, so you get the advantage of more range, accuracy and energy to punch through obstacles such as leaves and twigs.

• Supporters

After chatting to a tech in the local shop I got really excited about him setting up a really nice 450 FPS SR-25 for me. Then when I got home and had a look around some sites in the south they all seemed to be either 400 or 425 FPS limits on DMRs with a 20+ metre MED or it was just standard 350 FPS unless it was a BASR.

I was actually meaning to setup a thread with basically the same question as Richie. Surely unless you can use a gun with a significantly higher muzzle velocity you may as well just use a decently setup AEG or GBBR that fires at/under 350 FPS?

• Supporters

I don't think they're worth it at all unless the limit is 425 or higher, having minimum engagement rules just totally kills them for me unless I'm going to be able to get a significant range advantage.

My regular sites allow full auto up to 370fps and DMRs are right up there with bolt actions at 500, so the scope of effectiveness for DMRs is ridiculously vast assuming you can tune an AEG to be consistent and reliable at 500fps. That said, most people will keep them around the 425 mark anyway just to allow themselves the luxury of visiting numerous sites in the area, since DMRs at 500fps is fairly rare, and as you can probably imagine, no one wants to dismantle a well tuned V2 to change a heavy as fuck spring... I think I'd certainly rather shoot myself in the ball sack than have to piss around with heavy springs in version 2s on a regular basis.

I think if I were going to get a DMR I'd base it around a P* system, or possibly a GBBR, since it's easier to set the fps when you don't have to deal with springs.

with higher limits i can almost see the point but for 400 i just dont think its worth the effort or money when i could have a decent AEG instead. or a full blown sniper if i fancied that role (will hire the sites sniper a few times before i decide) but a DMR just doesnt seem worth it for the site that i play at. especially since its woodland so not much open space to use the possible range advantage over an AEG

I planning on building one at some point, and I reckon it depends on what site you go to. UW limpsfield seems to be very much longer engagements, compared to other sites so I think a DMR would fit in

• Supporters

For 400 with a standard AEG limit at 350, I don't think I'd bother, for 450 though I bloody would!

I like to get up close and personal on people though, so the MED would kill it for me.

Seems a real shame more sites don't allow 450 FPS DMRs with a MED. Otherwise it seems a bit like an AEG with more disadvantages than advantages.

More than anything medium to long range on semi auto is how I play the majority of the time so it would be a perfect fit. Might still do it though, I have terrible self control.

Probably a lot of the reason is less to do with the fps and more to do with the way one can employ such a weapon. By definition, a sniper requires a site which facilitates the role, ie. with a bit of open ground, or at an area at least not full of heavy foliage, although we're coming up on the time of year where that's less of an issue of course. Even so, unless there are obvious choke points a sniper can set up on, with him or her in a location which won't get rushed, which offers good cover/concealment and doesn't leave the sniper sat at the back with nothing to do unless they relocate when the battle moves forward, then it's not going to be much fun.

And even if all this is in place, it's still somewhat of a lonely role compared to being an important part of the support element for a squad. Basically, a DMR is going to allow you to play with team members instead of lone wolfing it (unless you can persuade someone to be a spotter with some decent firepower to hold the bad guys off, or to create a sniper team), which may appeal to some, but in reality there's just not likely to be as many opportunities for a shot in that role, as when pushing forward in a squad with a DMR in a support role similar to letting rip with a BAR or M60, but with increased accuracy.

After all, the notion of being a key member of your team is certainly an appealing one. As much as we would all doubtless like it to be the case, the fact is, airsoft weapons are limited in range when compared to their real-world counterparts, and there are never going to be the kind of situations a real sniper rifle could tackle with complete impunity, BBs just don't go that far, and even if they do, they are too affected by the wind to offer the kind of long-range accuracy a real sniper rifle brings to the battlefield, so a DMR is a more feasible option.

Most sites have no DMR limit set. If you want to perform the designated marksman role, you need to shoot accurately and get a rifle that is accurate a very good range at 350fps. Then if you are at a site where they have separate DMR limits, change out the spring or whatever if you feel it would be advantageous.

Alternatively, get a bolt action rifle and use the sniper limits without all that sneaky business.

I may DMR my GHK G5 rather than the RM4 and get the DMR barrel and rail. Am running HPA so as Ed said, it can be varied from site to site as their limits require. No spring changes, just adjust the valve.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.