Any recommended brands?

GunNut
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've started thinking about what gun I will get when I get registered in Spring next year.

I'm stuck at which brand to buy from, though.

I'm not to fussed about price, but I would like full metal and electric or gas.

Thank you.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Well really it will be your budget that decides it, if you are thinking sub £200 then you are looking at the lower end CA's, SRC's, some TM's etc. If you want to go over £200 then you start getting the majority of ICS and all the other higher end brands.

I don't know about in the UK but here in the U.S. KWA is arguably the best commercial airsoft company there is.

Visit the KWA UK branch: http://www.kwauk.co.uk/ and pick up a high quality AEG but I believe there about 250 pounds (sorry, typing on laptop, cant make sign).

KWA is really branching away from making pistols. They are making a lot of AEGs and GBB SMGs. They will hopefully be releasing their GBB line of M4s and SR5s soon.

For me it has to be plain and simply ICS they are exellent rifs. They have split gearbox for ease of spring change etc they are all full metal bodied and seriously durable and robust guns.

Swear by them but there are some other good companys like higher end TM's (exellent internals especialy hop-up.

Another good thing if you buy ICS is that you get a free spring upgrade if you purchase from zeroone airsoft.

I have been told many atime classic army are good but cant remark as have always had ICS and one TM

If price is no object look at the new TM Proline range (the shoot and recoil guns).

I have one of the M4's and I have to say it is the best gun I think I have ever owned (and I have built some my self).

Out of the box with no upgrades they hit 50m and are quite accurate. Plus they stop firing when the mag is empty. My advice though is to get the M4A1 SOCOM (front wired or mini batts) version not the SOPMOD (takes special SOPMOD batts in the stock) as the special sopmod batts aren't very good.

I have heard very mixed things about ICS, the externals are no where near as good as CA or G&P that much I can say. But I have heard from a couple of people that the split GB isn't as amazing as it is meant to be. Plus they only take ICS parts so they aren't as easy to customise.

As most people her have said it has a lot to do with budget. Saying that this is my personnal experience with these brands.

TM

When I started out they where pretty much the only company making AEG's. I have no experience of the new proline series but their stock weapons are the cornerstone of airsoft today and most AEG's are based on their basic concept. However they are normally plastic bodied and under powered, normally 300fps or under. They have reasonable attention to detail in apperance. Easy to modify and and upgrade, and if left stock will run forever on a 8.4v powerpack.

For a first gun, you can't go wrong.

As for their GBB pistols, they are plastic instead of metal but are amazing and as they are plastic tend to run all year round no matter ther weather on green gas.

ICS

A brilliant make of gun, full metal generally, with full metal gearbox, the armalite series has a split gearbox design which allows easy maintanence and allows you to swop the top section contain the spring (this is an advantage if you play different sites with different FPS). extremely reliable and i have never been able to brake one. I understand that the ICS SA80 is not made to the correct scale, also i have had problems in the past with aftermarket parts (body and stock) fitting correctly. As a result it can be difficult modify you gun in the future.

G&P

Without arguement the best looking guns out there, with amazing attention to detail and normally with all the right trades, but unfortunatly it stops there. Everyone of these i have owned has suffered with poor internals and generally have cost me a fortune in hops, pistonheads, gears and motors before i give up and get rid of them. always a disappointment. if your lucky you can get the 1 in a 100 that works out of the box for more than a few skirmishes.

Classic Army

Of late a good make all metal, with good internals to go with it, to good sometimes and they need to be downgraded to be within acceptable fps limits. aftermarket modifications fit without problems. not used there sportline range (cheaper guns) so i can't comment. A good all round make that will last and is eay to modify.

G&G

I have had nothing but problems with this make and no longer will purchase them, The M16 I owned had a misaligned gearbox from the factory and as such simply ripped itself apart every few hundred rounds. As an example of their poor quality and bad aftercare when they launched thier UMP is was so poor they were forced to include tappet plates (part of the gearbox) when you purchased additional mags. their reputation got so bad a lot of UK shops stopped selling them.

VFC

Simply Superb, great guns built to exact standards, with good quality internals. The guns tend to be able to field strip as per the Real Steel ones, as such Airsoft accessories may not always fit, where real seel ones might. Excellent guns but with a price ticket to match

Star/Aries

Starting off as an Accessories maker star launched it's first gun a few years ago. They are generally good gun but their product testing is poor. Almost all of the guns they release are riddled with problems to start with, once the guns been out for a while and Star/Aries is on the version 2 or 3, they are then worth buying. The nice thing about their guns is they tend not to me the normal M16-MP5 stuff. Good Make, Not as expensive as they used to be, don't buy any brand new release until it's proven and watch out for some poor 2nd hand models

Hope this helps

Archived