Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

• Supporters

Cheapest motorla pmr446 which takes a headset? Sister bought me some T41's on holiday not knowing they don't take headsets...

With an accessories socket, the T5 is the cheapest brand new.

• Supporters

(On mobile)
What do people recommend, madbull red or Prometheus red, or any other alternatives? Also where can I get a cheapish madbull 499mm aeg barrel? Cheapest I have found is fire support
For a well l96 that takes aeg buckings.

Edited by Ian_Gere
fixed colour ~ Ian_Gere

• Supporters

(On mobile)

What do people recommend, madbull red or Prometheus red, or any other alternatives? Also where can I get a cheapish madbull 499mm aeg barrel? Cheapest I have found is fire support

For a well l96 that takes aeg buckings.

Prometheus Purple (soft) [i bought mine from eagle6] and, if you can fit a new nub, either an Element H-Nub [fleabay] or a RATech advanced hop cushion [from ASPUK or ehobbyasia].

​I'm looking for a half decent PMR446 radio and I have a budget of up to £100. What can you guys suggest?

One bit of criteria- the radio has to look a little military-ish, i.e. not like a Motorola TLKR

You will want a headset anyway so the radio will not be visible.

2 questions

Q1) why do people use those glow sticks? the only reason I can think of is to tell which team you are on? I just can't understand why though

Q2) best scope that looks good on an m16 carry handle? seen a few but have no idea what they are called.

thanks guys

• Supporters

2 questions

Q1) why do people use those glow sticks? the only reason I can think of is to tell which team you are on? I just can't understand why though

Q2) best scope that looks good on an m16 carry handle? seen a few but have no idea what they are called.

thanks guys

A1) unless it's a night game, people do it just to look ally, because serving soldiers often carry them just in case their 5hr patrol turns into a 3 day Blackhawk Down stylee an ting...

A2) 4x ACOG i think

2 questions

thanks guys

I just buy em cos they're 50p and looks a bit tactical. Can be actually useful for identification too, as you said

2 questions

thanks guys

Q1) Marking cleared rooms in CQB. Red ones are used to show you're dead in night games (usually milsim's where yo may have a while till respawn)

Q2) I think the aimpoint m68's look good.

ah right, I never managed to thank you. thanks for that. So basically the sound gets stopped by the other waves, and then absorbed by the foam? Is this correct. Just remember I am 14, so if I say something half stupid or seem rather dumb you know why... (is that a valid excuse?!)

Q1) Marking cleared rooms in CQB. Red ones are used to show you're dead in night games (usually milsim's where yo may have a while till respawn)

Q2) I think the aimpoint m68's look good.

yep, thats it. So I believe the airsoft versions are aimpoint m2s, you can pick them up on ebay for 30 quid. right, I know what I am building ;)

what is the difference between EMags, Tmags, Pmags, etc there is one for every letter of the alphabet, always wondered what the difference is? thanks

• Supporters

ah right, I never managed to thank you. thanks for that. So basically the sound gets stopped by the other waves, and then absorbed by the foam? Is this correct. Just remember I am 14, so if I say something half stupid or seem rather dumb you know why... (is that a valid excuse?!)

YW - & tis as valid an excuse as any :lol: If you haven't covered it in science at school yet, you will touch on sound - basically anything which has a waveform, or periodicity/frequency, has a phase - which unlike in Star Trek just means how far along the cycle any given waveform is at a given point relative to the point at which it crosses the '0' line (since it is cyclical phase is described in degrees, so 0 degrees is where the amplitude of the waveform is 0 and the first 180 is a positive rise and fall back to 0 and then the next 180 is a negative fall and rise back to 0). So if you add waveforms together, for eg in a system like this where reflected sound bounces back to interfere with the original waveform, some frequencies can join together producing more on the + & - sides of the line (when they are within 90 degrees of being bang in phase), which increases amplitude at those frequencies, but what tends to happen is that the reflections are out of phase with the original in the shorter wavelengths, so if it adds some - to some +, or vice versa, the result is less amplitude at those frequencies, hence the upper frequencies are damped = it sounds duller.

This is helpful in a number of ways psychoacoustically, but also, simply because of the distance between our ears, bass frequencies are more difficult to localise.

Edit to add: but also the foam dividers physically block the progression of the compression wave and, since they are flexible absorb some of the energy in the expanding air by being bent. Although the bulk of the sound energy is in the lower frequencies and the foam, or indeed pretty much anything else you might put in there (including in a real steel suppressor), does almost fuck all to resist to resist the propagation of low freq. sound through it - there is a way to build a suppressor which would efficiently damp even low freq. sound but it is complex, requires proper metalworking tools, an anechoic chamber or a lot of trial and error, needs to be tuned for each gun, and is illegal in the UK.

ah ok cheers ian. Still a bit fuzzy but I get what you mean, generally.

So a mate wants to paint his vsr. It is black but was originally two tone red. Should he sand first?

He also wants a tan underlayer with green on top, and maybe a different shade of green so light and dark. What would you recommend colour wise. The painting is easy enough, however I have not yet found a good spray paint (although I haven't bought many)

How does krylon work on plastic in terms of sticking and in general as a paint, and how durable is it? When I see dusting on guns they all say they use krylon. Does it give this effect or do you have to use white spirit for that effect, in which case krylon should be good right?

Finally how many layers do people do when they paint their guns?

TL;DR

1) should I sand?

2) recommended colours for green with a tan underlayer?

3) Krylon any good (please read that paragraph, a lot of questions in there)

4) How do you paint your guns?

• Supporters

ah ok cheers ian. Still a bit fuzzy but I get what you mean, generally.

So a mate wants to paint his vsr. It is black but was originally two tone red. Should he sand first?

He also wants a tan underlayer with green on top, and maybe a different shade of green so light and dark. What would you recommend colour wise. The painting is easy enough, however I have not yet found a good spray paint (although I haven't bought many)

How does krylon work on plastic in terms of sticking and in general as a paint, and how durable is it? When I see dusting on guns they all say they use krylon. Does it give this effect or do you have to use white spirit for that effect, in which case krylon should be good right?

Finally how many layers do people do when they paint their guns?

TL;DR

1) should I sand?

2) recommended colours for green with a tan underlayer?

3) Krylon any good (please read that paragraph, a lot of questions in there)

4) How do you paint your guns?

1) always sand and prime a surface if you intend for the paint to stick to it permanently. If you're after a 'weathered' look straight off the bat, don't bother sanding, but the paint will chip off and expose the red below.

2) Halfords camo paints are excellent, their khaki and green are probably what you're after.

3) yes, but expensive

4) quickly, real soldiers don't spend hours making their guns look like works of art, they're tools.

1) always sand and prime a surface if you intend for the paint to stick to it permanently. If you're after a 'weathered' look straight off the bat, don't bother sanding, but the paint will chip off and expose the red below.

2) Halfords camo paints are excellent, their khaki and green are probably what you're after.

3) yes, but expensive

4) quickly, real soldiers don't spend hours making their guns look like works of art, they're tools.

ok so:

yeah would need to sand. What is expensive? On patrol base isn't it like 7 quid a can? My mate can happily pay that for maybe 4 cans... it just depends on if they are better than halfords. Money won't come into it, he just wants the best lasting and looking.

cheers mate :)

I've used Halfords black camp paint on my upper receiver, but I used some matte black paint from the range and the finish was alot nicer than the Halfords one and it didn't run as much either (although the running was probably my fault)

Would a high torque motor break my stock gearbox? (G&G combat machine) If not does the brand of said motor matter too much?

My gun chrono'd at 370 (give or take 5) last week so wasn't usable, would you guys recommend a new spring or cutting the spring slightly?

- Ant

• Supporters

Would a high torque motor break my stock gearbox? (G&G combat machine) If not does the brand of said motor matter too much?

My gun chrono'd at 370 (give or take 5) last week so wasn't usable, would you guys recommend a new spring or cutting the spring slightly?

- Ant

No a high torque motor will not break your gearbox unless the reason you want one is to pull a much more powerful spring. Why do you want one?

Cutting springs is not recommended. There are several reasons why, but in this thread it's enough to say that you can break stuff. You need to downgrade. I recommend an Element M105 from Bullseye Country Sport - it's a tenner posted and will give you about 345FPS, assuming a decent air seal and standard barrel.

Thanks for spring advice! I'll order one tomorrow. To answer the motor question I've been told it will increase my RoF. I don't want to upgrade for a 11.1 lipo as it sounds like a lot of work (I know nothing about airsoft internals)

- Ant

• Supporters

Depending on which motor brand you choose, it may increase your ROF a fraction, but generally high torque motors are more powerful for pulling heavier springs not faster. A high speed motor is what you want for higher ROF, but that may very well "break your gearbox" unless you upgrade the piston, shim the gears properly, and grease it thoroughly. You can use a high torque motor in combination with 13:1 gears to increase ROF though and a G&G plastic piston possibly would cope with that.

I just got a g&g combat machine along with WE Airsoft Europe 8.4V 1600mAH Crane Stock Battery.

Could you guys please recommend what charger/power supply I would need for this and where to get it? Also why do I need a power supply, can't I just plug the charger into the wall?

I live in the UK.

Thanks for any help!

Edited red to comply with the thread format - Ian_Gere