MP5 advice?

JamieB
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, i'm new here. I'd really appreciate some advice on a few things...

Firstly, i'm in love with MP5's! I know that actually liking the gun is probably one of the major factors in determining which AEG to buy, but as most of the sites near me are woodland i am worried that if i get an MP5 i'll be at a disadvantage against other players with rifles.

It has a much shorter barrel than the M4 (which most players seem to have) so how much of a difference would this make when playing woodland? Would the accuracy and range suffer enough to make me want to consider getting a rifle instead?

Secondly, i'll probably have a max budget of around £200 to spend on a stock gun once i've got my UKARA. I see that ICS, SRC and Classic Army B&T all offer full-stock metal bodied MP5's in that price range... which of these do you think would be the best overall?

Hoping you can help!

- j

• Supporters

as long as it has a decent hop up unit, any gun can be used effectively in woodland (my glock, for example, is great, but has about 4 inches of barrel)

What may be a good suggestion is to buy a slightly cheaper one (look for an SRC) and spend a little bit on a new fancy hop up bucking and spring to keep consistency, so ALL shots are where you want them.

hop up units are massively under-rated amongst new (and some experienced) players as the best way to improve range and accuracy.

another alternative is to buy an SDversion (with integral suppressor) and that can fit a longer barrel into it, combined with a new hop up will work great.

Thanks Dave, sounds like good advice. I was aware of the silencer-hiding-barrel-extension trick, which sounds like a good option. But the SD's aint as pretty! Plus it makes them longer, so may as well go for a short rifle anyway.

How easy would it be to fit an after-market hop up to a stock gun? Is this something i could do myself, or would i have to find someone to do it for me? I assume this does not effect the fps at all (being conscious of site limits...)

Interesting you mention the SRC MP5's.. i see they have a fairly recent line of them sporting stamped-steel receivers, they look pretty decent. Struggling to find any reviews of them though.

Cheers

i have the mp5a4, used it for my first game on sunday, and loved it. was woodland with some very CQB times in it. i dont think the gun was at a disadvantage at all. must admit though, the g36 that a fellow player was uning was very inpressive

• Supporters

changing the hop up requires very basic know how, easily something you can teach yourself off youtube, the only problem you could encounter is removing the stock hop up from the barrel ( but personally, I put aftermarket barrels in ALL my weapons (that I can) as stock ones may be tightbore, but they are not very decent quality)

You should be fine putting a new bucking in it with a madbull (or other comparable company) 6.03mm tightbore - don't go lower than 6.03 for a AEG barrel, it gives no advantage over a 6.03, whilst having MANY disadvantages.

as for Site limits, once the gun is broken in, most MP5's will be well under 350fps, and somewhere around 328. adding a tightbore and hop up will only increase the FPS on higher-end guns (we're talking the marui's, G&G's and ARES stuff here) so you should be fine.

obviously, play a game or two with it stock and see what you want from it. if it performs fine, leave it alone and whack a red dot on it and roll with that.

Sorry it's a lot to take in, but feel free to ask anything else and If I don't answer, one of the other charming chaps (and chapettes) on here will answer.

Thanks for the input guys, seems very clear that hop-up is the way forwards! Good advice Dave about trying the weapon stock first as well, i'll make sure i do that.

Still a ways to go before my 3 games and UKARA though, but i can start the research now. Cheers!

Thanks for the input guys, seems very clear that hop-up is the way forwards! Good advice Dave about trying the weapon stock first as well, i'll make sure i do that.

Still a ways to go before my 3 games and UKARA though, but i can start the research now. Cheers!

i have a clasic army mp5a5 and its the best gun i ever used for 4-5 games and then the site shut down :( so up for sale £200 posted and paypal charges covered look here if you fancy it :)http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/?showtopic=2076

how long until you get UKARA?

I'm 26, so no issue there.. just a question of playing the 3 games at the same site. I have played once so far, but that site only runs games once a month, and on their next one i am foolishly running a half marathon! So, probably no UKARA til xmas.

Archived