Hop-up

FreeRider
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

Just a simple question not to sure about.

I have a m56b shorty. It has hop-up on it according to the manual and the frount of the box.

I have looked all over the airsoft gun an nothing shows up as hop-up ajustable on the gun.

Is there any hop-up on it?

Or is this a stupid question. :unsure:

Hi

Just a simple question not to sure about.

I have a m56b shorty. It has hop-up on it according to the manual and the frount of the box.

I have looked all over the airsoft gun an nothing shows up as hop-up ajustable on the gun.

Is there any hop-up on it?

Or is this a stupid question. :unsure:

The most likely option is that it has a fixed hop up, so cannot be adjusted.

This isn't as much of a problem as it sounds, as fixed hops can't 'slip' as some adjustables do.

However, instead of being able to wind it up or down to find the right amount of hop-up for the bb's you're using, you're going to have to use different weight bb's untill you find one that gives the best trajectory.

Hope this helps

Oath

• 2 months later...

Sorry am quite new to airsoft and i just want to find out more about it before buying a gun. :lol:

I don't really know about the hop-up. Is it the nozzel the BBs get fed into through the magazine? <_<

• AF-UK Founding Member

Basically it is just used for adjusting the range of the BB, you shoot, and then twist, turn (or whatevers on your gun) till you are happy with how the BB goes.

The hopup unit provides backspin to your bbs. With no hopup bbs just come flying out and drop towards the ground. By providing backspin it enable the bb to stay in the air for much longer. Too much hopup and the bbs will curve upwards. There is usually a wheel or lever that increases/decreases the ammount of pressure put on the top of a bb so you can find that perfect spot where the bb will stay in a straight line until it has lost all of its momentum and then will drop to the ground.

• 2 weeks later...
The hopup unit provides backspin to your bbs. With no hopup bbs just come flying out and drop towards the ground. By providing backspin it enable the bb to stay in the air for much longer. Too much hopup and the bbs will curve upwards. There is usually a wheel or lever that increases/decreases the ammount of pressure put on the top of a bb so you can find that perfect spot where the bb will stay in a straight line until it has lost all of its momentum and then will drop to the ground.

That's it.

The whole thing is called Magnus effect.

More info here - Wikipedia: Magnus Effect

Be aware you'll have to set the HU accordingly to a specific BB type. Each time you change the type of ammo, you'll possibly need to play with the system. And each time you change the weight of BBs (for example from 0,25 to 0,28) you'll NEED to apply changes.

Archived