Second hand RIFs

Des431
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Quick question; if someone brought a RIF before they needed UKARA Membership would it be legal for them to sell it to someone who does not have membership?

Thanks.

so it illegal to have ownership of a gun that is not two tone if yu bought it before the act came in place if yu are NOT registered? i got told by someone that it only went against the sale of a rif not ownership. Coz in which case my broken m4 is in the loft and Glock 19 is sitting in its case neither of which are two toned? which im guessing when i get my two tone mp5 in a few months and i take my glock as a side arm to a skirmish i am breaking the law?

Would I also be right in thinking that as long as no money passes hands it's legal for you to have a gun (2-toned or not)? For example a present from someone WITH membership.

• 2 months later...
No your not getting it....

If you where selling a gun second hand that YOU bought PRE VCR act they will STILL need a defence

Im not sure im getting what youre saying...

Say someone with UKARA buys an all-black RIF, then sells/gives it to someone without UKARA.

Apart from the two of them, how will anyone know the non-UKARA holder didnt already have said RIF from before the Act?

How could the piggies prove it?

I have several RIFs from before the Act, but for all anyone knows I could have bought them last week, from a UKARA member...

• AF-UK Founding Member

I think what he is saying is that you could get a 2nd hand RIF, and if it was questioned say that you obtained it before the VCRA came in.

Edit: Yes he was saying this.

Obviously this is not something you should do, and pretty much why we ended up with the VCRA covering airsoft in the first place.

I think what he is saying is that you could get a 2nd hand RIF, and if it was questioned say that you obtained it before the VCRA came in.

Edit: Yes he was saying this.

Obviously this is not something you should do, and pretty much why we ended up with the VCRA covering airsoft in the first place.

I know it shouldnt be done, not saying i support this behaviour, but from a legal perspective it really is impossible to prove unless it is a model that only came out after VCRA (or some other obvious incrimination like that).

Its a law that carnt be easily enforced in the 2nd hadn market...

But think of it in this way... the law was origianly introduced to stop poeple walking into there nearest cheapy bb gun shop and buying something that then they can point at the poor shop keeper next door and attempt to rob him with it....

Now the law isnt perfect... by far... but if you think about it the only loop hole to get a RiF is to find someone in the airsofting world to sell you one second hand with no questions asked...

But i dought that would happen very offten due to the seller needing a defence in the first place and the threat of the sport beeing shut down....

But think of it in this way... the law was origianly introduced to stop poeple walking into there nearest cheapy bb gun shop and buying something that then they can point at the poor shop keeper next door and attempt to rob him with it....

Yes, but...its such a silly thought process. Example: I own an exact replica of a SigSauer 226. It is almost all metal, heavy and realistic looking. I was able to buy it without UKARA in a shop, because its not an airsoft gun. It uses CO2 to fire steel/copper BBs.**

Surely it would be just as effective as an airsoft gun in the scenario you describe (aside from the fact it wasnt a cheap one, it was around £80).

**As an aside, much more dangerous than plastic BBs..ironically.

• AF-UK Founding Member
Yes, but...its such a silly thought process. Example: I own an exact replica of a SigSauer 226. It is almost all metal, heavy and realistic looking. I was able to buy it without UKARA in a shop, because its not an airsoft gun. It uses CO2 to fire steel/copper BBs.**

Surely it would be just as effective as an airsoft gun in the scenario you describe (aside from the fact it wasnt a cheap one, it was around £80).

**As an aside, much more dangerous than plastic BBs..ironically.

I agree with you, but unfortunately that is the way it is.

As Jersey said you could previously buy a springer for a very low price that looked realistic enough to fool your average member of the public.

The people using them to threaten people are unlikely to spend a big amount on a weapon, hence why airsoft was targeted (not solely for this reason of course).

Archived