A loadout too far

Russe11

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Have ordered Gaiters, helmet net and scrim, Blanco (to dye the webbing) and L straps (The straps for pattern 37 backpacks) from soldier of fortune.

If I win the Sten sling and webbing, I will have a very basic setup sorted. Will then just need a small pack (easy to get) and battledress.

Small pack ordered and have won auction for webbing. I now have everything for the basic loadout on its way to me. The next step is to upgrade bits to more authentic items. Battledress will be 1st for this :)

The smock is weird. It's made of duck cotton. It's a material I have only ever encountered in carradice saddle bags. Basically its very heavy duty cotton woven so tight that if it gets damp, the fibres swell and it becomes watertight. Essentially it does what modern breathable waterproof membranes do. It's also very stiff so I imagine bb's will not hurt much wearing it :)

I wasn't sure at 1st but I soaked it in the bath to get rid of the smell of mothballs and the pockets didn't leak water, I had to turn the smock upside down to empty the pockets :D

Removed the helmet interior and glued in some foam. Helmet net and scrim arrived so added that.

DSC_00441_zpsda7197b0.jpg

Just need to soak the scrim so it lays flatter and sort out a chin strap. Quite pleased with the result :)

My smock makes a cameo appearance here :)

Just been sat Blanco-ing the L straps and Gaiters. Couldn't work out which was the top of the L straps so had to find a diagram.

Helpful Diagram:

6488574_orig.gif

This is going to be sooo useful when I have to put it all together.

• Supporters

Consider this revenge for telling us that Landwarrior have the £100 Stens back in...

WW2 British Airborne Body Armour on sale £30 off for limited period!!!

7F13NSOC_Thumbnail.jpg TBH I didn't know they even had body armour @Arnhem.

Probably used Arnhem to test a load of stuff, body armour, Sterling sub machine guns... I mean, where better to test all your super secret inventions than miles behind enemy lines? :)

• Supporters

Yeah, especially since the opposition was only comprised of kids and old men...

Webbing has arrived. Just waiting for the small pack now. Capacity of each mag pouch is 6 sten mags. I only have 6 mags so I have a pouch spare atm.

At this point Ian is going to ask for pictures, be patient Ian FFS! :D

I may take the gear with me to work and get someone to photograph me in it, otherwise the plan is to get to an outdoor site and finally test the sten on Sunday. If anyone in the Bristol area is going to Spartan or Black ops on Sunday and can give me a lift...

That is excellent work, I love ww2 airsoft, I did mostly American load outs and the once German. I found British kit hard to find at the time until I found Shoot and Scoot, http://www.shootnscoot.co.uk/ I'm tempted to save up/do some overtime at work for the Lee Enfeld N04 http://www.shootnscoot.co.uk/budget-n04

• Supporters

And there's another gun on that ever expanding list of guns to get in the fullness of time!

The donor gun is the ASG M70 Varmint - does anyone know if there is an upgrade route for it?

I've asked Daz @ASPUK, so if/when he comes back with anything I'll repost it here, but it would be good if anyone has direct experience or knows somebody who has.

I would love a Lee Enfield or SMLE or L42 sniper...actually the Bren gun looks good too....must win Lottery.

The Marushin M1 carbine is another gun on my wish list or there's rumours of an AEG M1 with folding stock. For now though I am happy with my £100 Sten. It would be nice to have something semi auto I can use at my local indoor site though.

Could be a cool gimmic for the next event after Shining light to turn up in WW2 gear though :D

• Supporters

I've held a Marushin M1 and it is lovely. The trigger guard is pretty small mind and it has the usual gas gun problems with cold.

The Bren gun is rather sexy, all versions have been out of stock on that site for a while .. I do hope they come back, it would make a fantastic addition to my collection.

Looking good but you need to get some proper trousers! \You need Battle Dress trousers. Those lightweights are OK for the Falklands but not WW2

As for a helmet the RN Mk II and Tankers MK II Steel Helmets are the same rimless design as the Paras and were in use right up through the 1980s

They are going to be the easiest to find.

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/mk2-airborne-paratrooper-helmet-product,12195

best bet seems to be the Soldier of Fortune repro helmets (Mk1 or 2). Trousers are an issue as I am allergic to wool, I would have to either find denim battledress or something that just looks right. Realistically I would not need the tunic but it would be nice to have one in order to switch to a normal infantry loadout.

http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=5206&bc=no

• Supporters

And carry a webbing backpack to hide the 12V refrigeration unit...

• Supporters

Not very encouraging I'm afraid...

Enfield_No4_fb_convo.jpg

ARGH, they sent me the large pack! Probably better from a practical point of view as it will be possible to carry my Sten gun in it with the stock taken off but now I need 2 additional straps! When looking up how to fit a large pack I came accross this handy guide to all the P37 webbing options: http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/equipment/loadbearing/1937pattern.htm

If you're doubting my evaluation of just how frickin accurate the sten is, check out this:

its a test of the shoot and scoot MP-18 but its the Sten with a few custom outer bits added.

• Supporters

Different world back then, eh?

"There's your gear; there's your kit. The kit doesn't fit in the gear? You're not on your father's yacht now, son. This is the army!"

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and opine that the ammo pouches which do fit sten mags are only marginally more difficult to find than the famed peacock egg...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.