Like scoutthedoggie?

Ian_Gere

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Scout cuts pieces of different weeks footage together to make it look good. I was in one a few months ago. The clip showed a game from first thing in the morning.

I was shooting at someone while getting filmed. Apparently, the BB took so long to hit the other player that it had become evening when he called hit.

I do have a lot of respect for Scout, but his videos are quite manufactured. I prefer to watch GoPro or Contour footage (such as my own content *SHAMELESS PLUG TIME* which will start uploading on the channel linked in my signature next week) as it is much easier to tell when they have spliced in different clips.

i dont think it takes alot of skill to just turn up to as many airsoft events as possible with a HD cam and just record people. any teenager could do what he does. hes just got so many videos that it makes him popular even tho most are complete snooze fests.

Dont wont to sound like i dont like him or something i just do want those vids to represent us as they basically show nothing.

• Supporters

He has the right camera equipment to do some really special stuff with the footage, especially considering the amount of it he must now have.

But he just uploads it raw and adds loads of horrendously amateurish text edits over the top of everything using iMovie, literally anyone can do what he does and a lot of people could do it more proficiently.

The only reason he's where he is, is because he did it first, and as a result his videos crop up in almost every airsoft related search you make, so often, the much better videos won't get any views just because his videos crop up first because of his channel status and their view counts.

He could be making a killing if he spiced the videos up and monetised them, he could show case other airsoft YouTubers every week a bit like Nash has been doing.

But no. Same crap, different week.

If you've seen one of his videos, then you have effectively seen all of them.

• Supporters

Ah, but you know what he has got going for him which trumps all other considerations?

He's not a fucking yank.

I find most airsoft game videos boring.

The problem is the guns make a whining noise and there's no muzzle flash. Also people don't fall over like the movies and theres no blood...

Seriously though, its natural to compare these against war/action movies.

What do people find exciting about watching Airsoft games on You Tube ?

• Supporters

I like hearing people's opinions on things and see how they tackle certain situations, but if it's not crystal clear what's happening then I just get very bored very fast.

It's nice seeing good team communication as well, like well put together milsim team videos.

The only airsoft videos I actually watch are ones uploaded by members of MSK, a French Milsim Team, and LevelCap.

• Supporters

Yeah, if Ed was on the list I'd vote for him, but he isn't. I know it takes a lot more knowledge and some more kit would help, but I'd enjoy airsoft vids a lot more if we got overlays of the map, pauses to explain by quick cuts to the map, a cast of characters in the beginning and plenty more of the graphic stuff Ed has been doing - but with graphics for directions of friendly fire/friendly movement vs opfor fire/movement / zooms - all that good stuff

• Supporters

I'm getting there lol, I really need a better computer to be able to do a lot more than I am doing currently though.
Sometimes my laptop auto shuts down because it overheats because the editing takes so much out of it.
I do appreciate the compliments though :)

I have to admit it annoys me when you see videos like this though, which was just posted on Reddit and somehow shot straight to the top of the list due to upvotes:

Is it just me, or is that one of the most "meh" airsoft videos ever? The guy has more than twice as many subs as me, how does that even happen? It's so off putting finding stuff that's crap yet people seem to like it so much more, when I've clearly put so much more effort into my videos than he has his.

YouTube is a bitch =[

• Supporters

Apart from the yankiness, i didn't think it was that bad for an amateur cut. The bg was well chosen b/c it wasn't too busy so it could be relatively loud without obscuring the consonants (and thus intelligibility) of speech and for constant rise of energy you cant go far wrong with watered down anthemic trance.

The font and central placement of comms subtitles pissed me right off, but the placement of "HIT" worked well and tbf until we have access to cameras that can resolve BB's from muzzle to target, we are always going to need some kind of visually relevant hit event or any skirmish makes little sense.

The split/windows bit was a pants cut decision but thankfully brief. That really should only be used as a precursor to a sub-climax which needs help to be impressive, so promise, promise, break, let the energy fall by going to split/windows... bang! jump back in with the less than great event, quick move on to the next bit before anyone notices that it wasn't that good...

Thing is, to do this well, you really have to change your whole perspective, but once you do, your innocence is gone; you never see/hear any media as just an audience member ever again. It's like a famous sample from a big choon back in the day: "we are music makers, we are the dreamers of the dream..."

...but we're not the people getting off in it.

Would I watch this vid again? No - it is amateur, but mainly b/c it's soooooooo yank.

Still, would I voluntarily listen to Abba? No - but their stuff is fantastically produced, amazingly well conceived and brilliantly written to suit its conception... I can and do understand tricks of the trade and use them in exactly the same way... I just fucking hate them lol!

• Supporters

Ed's videos are pretty decent, but for the most part a lot of the airsoft videos are just shit. I watch the devildog and levelcap ones, and whilst they aren't mindblowing at least you have an idea what is going on which is more than can be said for the majority of uploaders.

I really don't understand what makes certain people popular though: take first person shooter videos for instance - a lot of them are terrible(as in skill) and some of them will instantly scream cheat when they get killed, yet they become popular enough to make a living off it....

• Supporters

I'm adding this as a separate post so it will go out as a new notification:

I must add that some of Ed's vid's, IMO, have tipped into "semi-pro" as opposed to "amateur" and although that holds them to a higher standard of criticism, if any of you are actually following my opinion, you should know that when I say that something is "good amateur" it is implicit that I forgive faults which are not present in even "poor semi-pro", so when I'm talking about Ed's YT it's a case of, unless I point out that something is bad, assume it's broadcast quality.

NB And yeah, that may sound arrogant, and maybe it is, but yes I am the arbiter of cool :P

• Supporters

the one that gets me is this desertfox fella, some of his videos are alright and he does decent gameplay commentary but jesus he gets everywhere!

oh, and his direct action mission video is just pure (unintentional) lolz the whole way through, considering that it's probably the most intense short scenario milsim you can get anywhere in the world they weren't half shit!

the placement of "HIT" worked well and tbf until we have access to cameras that can resolve BB's from muzzle to target, we are always going to need some kind of visually relevant hit event or any skirmish makes little sense.

... Until you realise that half the hits that Scout claims are those of the featured players are teammates calling hit. For example, Scout was filming a guy next to me, I get shot. on the video, the text comes up saying that it was Nash's kill.

• Supporters

That's my pet hate about his videos.

He essentially made Daedalus famous because he'd show him firing a single shot - because he used a gas rifle and they're in Scotland, so that's probably all it ever did - and then he'd show someone getting hit, that he'll have filmed from another location, hours later.

People had the impression that Daedalus was a crack shot and he'd hit people with a single shot at ridiculous ranges and it's just pure bollocks.

It's never the person who gets hit in the video, that he actually shows getting hit, it's just a phenomenally annoying editing trick.

The only airsoft videos I actually watch are ones uploaded by members of MSK, a French Milsim Team, and LevelCap.

LevelCap is who re-sparked my interest in AS

I subscribe for his BF4 videos then found he also did airsoft

His videos are excellent - and although he is a tank he's no where near as annoying as most - he's obviously an intelligent and knowledgable guy - but also comes across well and isn't condescending in the slightest

• Supporters

A tank? As in well built?

Are you kidding? He's a total computer, star wars and lego nerd, 'bout as scrawny as they come lol.

I agree about him though, his videos are probably the best I've seen, he's good at editing, gets the audio balance right, cuts things at the right times and doesn't show footage if it's boring.

The only thing I hate is that he only started airsofting about 4 months ago, and because he's a YouTube celebrity he's just been given all the best shit ever straight away. He doesn't really have any concept of the value of a lot of the things he has, I don't mean monetary value either, I mean he doesn't realise how badly lots of people want the stuff he has, he has no concept of how, why or to what extent the things he gets handed for free are sought after so he'll just rephrase the stats sheet the shop read out to him.

He's done videos on the WE MSK, he's got a Polarstar M4 etc etc. anyone else would kill someone for that stuff, he just gets handed it for free by Airsoft GI because they're using him as a walking talking advert.

His video comments are littered with people asking for advice but the guy doesn't have a clue.

It's like watching a baby jump in the deep end of a swimming pool, but then enjoy drowning. It's annoying to watch, there's a sense of contempt about him that just grates on me.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.