DayZ Stand alone

AirsoftTed
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im a complete arma nood. I own 2 with all the expansions but never worked out how to play. I load the game but just do t understand whats going on in the server lists or if i need additional files.

pick a server you have the ad ons for and join game! :-)

I never got on with the UI for Arma 2, Arma 3 is a far nicer UI and on Arma 3 Epoch they have made it nicer still :-)

• Supporters

Im a complete arma nood. I own 2 with all the expansions but never worked out how to play. I load the game but just do t understand whats going on in the server lists or if i need additional files.

Use DayZ Commander as it lets you download all the necessary files through it, the servers have grey text in the server browser if your version doesn't match theirs.

It could be that the Server you are trying to join is using expansion add-ons which you have either not purchased, or maybe have purchased, but not currently got installed. For example there are some ARMA British operations expansion add-ons, and elements from these, or other expansions might feature on the Server you wish to join. Since people can create their own missions and scenarios in ARMA, it may be that someone has created a mission for their server which uses some of these add-ons, which would mean that if you did not have those bits and pieces on your machine, the server would not load you in and would report that you have not got the necessary files, it could be something as simple as a truck from one of the expansion add-ons, or even an entire map. You may find that the server info lists the add-ons and downloads necessary to play on that server. This is why when I used to create missions for ARMA (and Operation Flashpoint before it) I used to stick to the default stuff!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You all given up on DAYZ SA?

Anyone run .60 in exp yet? I tried last night but all the exp servers are murdered.

Your thoughts?

New renderer implemented with v.60 now in experimental.

Apparently 50-60fps is now more the norm. Tried to get on the exp server last night with no joy. Going to give it another go in a little while.

• Root Admin

That renderer they promised a year ago? I'll believe it when I see it - Bohemia are an awful studio for the technical side of things and DayZ is like the runt of their litter of two games. All their decent devs get transferred to Bohemia Interactive and VBS.

Guest PT247

I utterly fell in love with the idea of DayZ well over a year ago..... since then it has wained, the game (athough has such promise) is utter garbo, it takes an age to get decent gear for you to end up shot for no reason wandering through a town. The FPS sucks, the graphics are out of date on quality and the devs are purely milking the game for cash. It'll never be a finished game as it is so flawed it'd need a new engine (again) just to get it up to date then the bugs and then the utter Cee Uou Next Tuesday players who join purely to PVP and cant understand roleplay..... and then the scripters, hackers and exploiters who have just ruined the game.

I still love the concept, just cant contemplate playing a game that is broken from the innards and has utter tw@ts playing it.

I agree with much of what you both say, but I still think it's the most realistic title out there for all its problems. The new renderer IS in proffrink, just wait for .60 to hit stable then have another look at what you think about it. I think greatly increased playability will help a lot. A lot of people say it's a broken game that will never be completed, I disagree I believe it will be completed, for credabilities sake if nothing else. It's what happens after it goes retail.

• Root Admin

Wall of rant incoming.

I mean I'll believe the frame rate changes when I see them; should be no less than 60 frankly. This is PC gaming we're talking about and their engine still uses almost none of my GPU and piles it onto the CPU like ArmA 2 did (ArmA 3 is marginally better at this).

Like I say: The team working on DayZ is so small they take an inordinate amount of time to roll out any kind of updates. They're only just arriving at the level of functionality the mod (and spinoffs) had 4-5 years ago, and don't forget that this has been in development for 2 years. Any sympathy I have for the development of this game waned after the first year and a half of them messing around with it. This was one of the first early access games and has never truly left it.

There's also the imput lag because they can't figure out a proper way of handling animations clientside. Having to spam V just to jump, occasionally not being able to get over fences for 2 minutes and having to instead run around them because the server is under such load is beyond silly. Also pretty stupid that they had to remove all the zombies for that 5-6 month stretch just to figure out what was killing their servers.

Then there was the whole dying on ladders thing that took them almost a year to fix. A year!

I mean I realise games take years to make, but this was released so long ago that any decently sized team would have all the bugs ironed out by now and the vast majority of the features added (don't forget the air vehicles aren't in yet). Bohemia have made their money already from DayZ and cut the team down ages ago to concentrate on other things, because they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery. ArmA 3s DLC, them taking it in the future so as not to have to pay the relatively small licensing from gun manufacturers to use their weapons in game like in ArmA 2 and lacklustre mod support (to the point where most of the decent ArmA 2 modders just refused to port their old stuff) is a good example of how grossly mismanaged that studio is. Some amazing concepts/IP but damn if they rarely deliver on the full picture both technically and gameplay speaking. Carrier Command - remember that? If not you should look it up on Steam. Absolutely terrible, terrible game.

Anyone good at Bohemia goes to Bohemia Interactive and works on VBS. That where their real money and attention is because they have some massive military contracts right now. It shows in DayZ's sluggish development.

Guest PT247

another issue with DayZ is that it has been available for soooo long now on Steam that there isn't going to be anyone wanting to buy it by the time it is finished as everyone will already own it. There is no incentive for the devs to finish it now.

• 1 month later...

Updated to .60 tonight and went back for a test drive. Omg different world. New renderer is in, getting 40-50 in places I was getting 20ish, go back and take another look.

• 3 months later...

Archived