cyma m14 (battery problems)

pjc71
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi my nephew is taking up airsoft with me in the new year I am letting him use my cyma m14 which is a nice rifle but I haven't used it in 2 yrs and have moved since and I have lost my batteries for it I believe they was 8.4v 1100ma not 100% sure would any of you guys know where I could pick up a couple or upgraded ones would be nice not sure if I go above 1100ma will I blow anything in the gun...

please help :)

mAh = how long the battery lasts

V = how much power it provides to the motor.

So upping the mAh will mean that the battery lasts longer. As for somewhere to buy the battery try here

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/batteries/airsoft/8-4v-airsoft.html

Not sure what size or connector you want. Though I think it is a large tamiya type, and it goes in the stock. You can ask component shop to put a large connector on their batteries if you so wish.

Having had a look here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIcCesmudeE

you probably need one of these with a tamiya connector on it

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/8-4v-1400mah-2-3a-nimh-mini-budget-battery-pack-3x2-1.html

• Supporters

I'd suggest an 8.4v, 3700mAh battery, if it's the standard full stock M14. It will increase your ROF and trigger response over the 1100mAh batteries, and will last more than a full day's airsofting (I've managed to make mine last for 5 full days in my M16, on semi-auto though).

• Supporters

I'd suggest an 8.4v, 3700mAh battery, if it's the standard full stock M14. It will increase your ROF and trigger response over the 1100mAh batteries, and will last more than a full day's airsofting (I've managed to make mine last for 5 full days in my M16, on semi-auto though).

A larger capacity 8.4v battery will not increase trigger response or Rate of Fire. It'll last longer but that's about it.

A 9.6v NiMH (if your gun will cope with it) or a 7.2v LiPo WILL increase rate of fire and trigger response.

• Supporters

A larger capacity 8.4v battery will not increase trigger response or Rate of Fire. It'll last longer but that's about it.

A 9.6v NiMH (if your gun will cope with it) or a 7.2v LiPo WILL increase rate of fire and trigger response.

A larger capacity 8.4v battery increased trigger response AND rate of fire in my M16, so it goes to say that it will do the same here.

• Supporters

Actually, despite the common wisdom, Liam is right. It's the same kind of thing as using a MOSFET, or why a 7.2V LiPo with a lower nominal voltage can produce the same rate of fire or faster than a NiMh with a nominal voltage of 8.4V, but the effect is really only noticeable in semi-auto or short bursts. It's because a 3700mAh battery has much more capacity for the chemical reaction providing power to take place, hence the power necessary to overcome the initial inertia of the motor, which in this closed system is primarily a function of current, ramps up from 0mA to several Amps faster than in a battery with less capacity.

Re: OP's question - +1 for component-shop.co.uk, but also check hobbyking.com

and also, working on the assumption that if something is good, more is better, if you don't want to go LiPo (which requires a balancing charger), a nice fat NiMh of 3700, 4000, even 5000mAh and a MOSFET is clearly the way forward :lol:

Oh yeah, and a CYMA gearbox is designed for an M120 spring so it will have no problem with the higher ROF you'd get from a 9.6V battery. Obviously 9.6V-ers also come in 3700+mAh...

Archived