DIY

Cheeky vimto

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

That's bloody fantastic work Ian. I would;t mind the bodged look on it,the texture and construction looks like something from a target pistol already and function over form any day. The texture itself looks very grippy and should be great with gloves so I wouldn't worry too much about the look.

I would say I would do something like that but I don;t want to ruin my VSR stock,it's already perfect for my hands anyway.

Bookmarked the page,wealth of information in your post should be helpful.

• Supporters

Wow, we getting all bauhaus n shit... I'll have to do another that doesn't fit and call it cubist!

• 2 weeks later...

My new torch got "shot out" in the first 10 min .... Poo! But it still works and managed to replace the lense with a bit of old blaster bb bottle.

I think I am going to cut a piece of acrylic out to cover the lense to protect it.

The issue with most acrylics is they will still shatter with a luckily placed bb shot. The beauty of PET is it remains flexible and should be less vulnerable to damage and it's free.

Is that the material that bottles are made of?

Pet bottles are too thin for that IMHO.

Use polycarbonate. (That's what protective glasses/goggles are made of) 2mm thick is enough.

Thanks, will look at getting some and cutting it for the protection, the torch in the pictures is rubbish, will get my good one on it soon enough, wouldn't want it breaking.

• Supporters

mPIKu-XnoJMaOPIngsg6uBQ.jpg3M 1621 Protective Goggle Glass Clear Lens Anti-Impact Anti-Splash

You sometimes find these going really cheap on fleabay - i bought a pair to cut up for my C8 torch and my 551 replica - just haven't got round to it yet :lol:

If anyone knows where to buy 2-3mm polycarbonate sheets cheaper, please let us know.

mPIKu-XnoJMaOPIngsg6uBQ.jpg3M 1621 Protective Goggle Glass Clear Lens Anti-Impact Anti-Splash

You sometimes find these going really cheap on fleabay - i bought a pair to cut up for my C8 torch and my 551 replica - just haven't got round to it yet :lol:

If anyone knows where to buy 2-3mm polycarbonate sheets cheaper, please let us know.

Just had a look for some polycarbonate for sale, that stuff isn't cheap! I can ask my tech teachers if they know where to get it cheap when then order stuff in. Also how do you guys apply the PET to say you're 551 replica, do you use glue to stick it down or different stuff?

For torch protection refer to the opening post in this thread :)

I ended up taking the protective cap off as It looks alot better without it. I'll regret it one day when I have no torch..

The torch I am going to be using is the Led Lenser PSE so I will need where the bulb sits to be able to move. I think I will laser cut some safety goggles and do what you did to yours.

Just had a look for some polycarbonate for sale, that stuff isn't cheap! I can ask my tech teachers if they know where to get it cheap when then order stuff in.

They probably get a bulk discount as they're buying for the school.

With my torch i took the glass out completely, and replaced it with a piece of 1mm PETG cut to the right size. I use acrylics, PC (Polycarbonate), PETG and HIPS all the time at work so I have easy access to it. I'll have to try and get some decent size off cuts and donate it to people on here.

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting sick of my gun hanging round my ankles thanks to the ridiculously long 1 point sling this weekend. So after talking in another thread, I decided to use my "skills" at sewing and managed to shorten the sling so the gun sits on the chest and away from my legs.

heightenedsling_zpse5495f22.png

Can't beat a Thompson in a musical instrument case, it's a classic look.

Being that i play guitar and have lots of them, and obviously lots of cases for them too, I frequently use guitar cases to transport rifles, they usually fit pretty well, in an average electric guitar 'gig bag' type case, and many of those are padded too, which helps prevent your rifle from picking up dings and scratches when you heft it into the boot of your car. In fact my D-Boys M4 SIR fits so well in one of my guitar cases, it almost looks like it was made for it. I also find that when travelling on a train, a guitar case is less likely to have people start panicking than sitting on there with what is obviously a rifle bag. Which reminds me...

Because of my job teaching people CGI, where I show people how to do video special effects, such as making prop guns look like they are really firing, ejecting shells and emitting a muzzle flash which lights up the surroundings etc, quite often I take an old CYMA springer AK-47 into Manchester. A rectangular hard guitar case of mine fits that AK-47 perfectly with the mag still inserted. Funny thing is, about three years ago there was some big event on in Manchester and there was some kind of a security alert at Piccadilly railway station; the police were randomly stopping people getting off the trains and searching them. Sure enough, there's me walking up to the police at the ticket barrier with that hard case with an AK-47 in it (and bear in mind that this is painted up as a movie prop, so kit looks exactly like the real thing). They let me walk straight through without asking me to open the case, can't imagine that occurring if it had been a rifle case.

So here's some DIY of sorts: Me with that CYMA AK and some CGI'd muzzle flashes, ejecting shells and secondary lighting effects lighting up the surroundings...

• 4 weeks later...

Am working on another hi-cap HPA mag for my G5 at the mo. My first required two mags stacked next to each other, this one will just be a single magazine. It wont hold quite so many BBs as the other but should still be enough for a round.

10300082_10152376182541820_3259494207627

10247377_10152376182521820_9120598272868

1390612_10152376182576820_25666849258801

I still need to file the gas reservoir ends smooth and at 90' to the tubes then tap a thread into the tubes, I need to route a hose into the mag, join the hybrid mag together and put a hole on the back of the mag case for the striker plate. As is tho it seems to feed even better than my previous hi-cap :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Bits ordered for the mag to feed the air into the chopped down gas reservoir. Am hoping to get a new toy for "Christmas" which will help with further projects too.... namely cutting barrels and machining them. Next project (which is researched and has the gun totally stripped down is to fit a hop into my CO2 Dan Wesson Python and modify the spring to give me bang on 350 fps, I bloody love that gun but out the box it is totally useless even at 500+fps (which it currently shoots at) so hopefully this will make it skirmishable with decent accuracy and range :-)

Just pondering..... how hard would it be to make an M203 shell version of the Kel-Tec KSG or UTS 15? The Kel-Tec would be better for collecting the spent shells as they eject downwards and would suit a lefty better too. Obviously it would be a big beasty so plastic is the only way forward. I'd love to have a go at something like this.

• Supporters

It would be more than a "big beasty" mate - it would be a fucking monster! I'm overwhelmed by foreseeable problems, I mean, basically you'd be R&D-ing a new gun from the ground up, but I'd love to see it done :wub:

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.