WE Hi-Capa 5.1 Dragon

Spawnah
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

First off, I should say that I bought mine used, so some of the problems may be because of how the previous owner treated it, but this is my experience with this gun.

Gun Name and maker: Wei-Tech Hi-Capa 5.1 Silver Dragon

FPS: Couldn't get a straight answer on this, I don't have a chrono but somewhere around 300. Probably.
Hop up: I've not needed to change mine but you need to disassemble the whole gun to get to it.
Mag Capacity: 25 31
Battery: Nope
Plastic/Metal/Both: Metal

Pros:

• It looks brilliant, I saw this gun lined up with a bunch of other pistols and this one immediately caught my eye and kept it. I wanted it.
  • It's very weighty, it feels great to hold.
  • Hard kick. Again, it feels great.
  • Accuracy seems to be pretty good.
  • It's got a rail.

Notice that all of the pros are to do with look and feel though. In terms of look and feel it gets a solid 5 stars.

Cons:

• Crappy gas efficiency. Needs refilling after almost every mag.
  • BBs have a tendency to not fire and just fall out the front instead. I've read some other reviews and it seems to be a somewhat common problem.
  • The magazine is incredibly hard to load, the spring is SO STIFF it hurt my fingers just holding it down to get the BBs in.
  • The big one... the stupid front sight. Let me show you;

ZulsHOd.jpg

For some reason is front sight isn't attached to the rest of the slide. This is the source of it's biggest problem. It's held in place by one screw which needs an allen key on the bottom which EASILY rattles out, making the front really loose and compromising your ability to aim. And if the screw comes all the way out, the front is going to fall off and you're going to lose the screw. No one wants to be firing away and suddenly it falls apart in your hands, or wants to have to stop, pull out your bloody allen key and tighten it every half mag. I had to put tape over the screw just to stop it falling out. That's horrible design right there. If it buggers up on the field you're better off just stashing it away rather than trying to fix it mid-game because it will take a while and you'll have to get your allen key out and everything, it's a massive faff.

My personal opinion of GBB pistols (Pistols in general, for that matter) is that they're not very practical in many, if any situations and you're almost always better off using your primary. For that reason I think they're more for show. They look cool and they're great to have, fun to play with but not to skirmish. Good for impressing your friends butnot all that much else.

So to sum up, it looks and feels absolutely brilliant, but it's design is bad and it's rather lacking in every other aspect. There's a good chance I would never even pull this out of my holster unless I'm completely out of ammo for my primary, which is unlikely because I use hi-cap mags and carry extra BBs just in case. It's not that expensive though, so you might like to get one if you're looking for a show piece, but if you're looking for something that's great to actually use, you might want to look elsewhere.

I'd give this gun a 3/5 or a 6/10 because it does what I personally want a pistol to do, but ultimately it fails in it's practicality.

• Supporters

Great write up there mate B) , i hope you dont mind, ill add my thoughts below in blue

First off, I should say that I bought mine used, so some of the problems may be because of how the previous owner treated it, but this is my experience with this gun.

Gun Name and maker: Wei-Tech Hi-Capa 5.1 Silver Dragon

FPS: Couldn't get a straight answer on this, I don't have a chrono but somewhere around 300. Probably. << i get 266 with 0.25's
Hop up: I've not needed to change mine but you need to disassemble the whole gun to get to it. << yep very annoying, but once its set, i have not had to adjust mine yet
Mag Capacity: 25 << all 3 off my mags are 31rd's :wacko:
Battery: Nope
Plastic/Metal/Both: Metal

Pros:

• It looks brilliant, I saw this gun lined up with a bunch of other pistols and this one immediately caught my eye and kept it. I wanted it.
  • It's very weighty, it feels great to hold.
  • Hard kick, again, it feels great. << very hard kick, i have been told its better then the TM DE hardkick, but that's objective
  • Accuracy seems to be pretty good.
  • It's got a rail.

Notice that all of the pros are to do with look and feel though. In terms of look and feel it gets a solid 5 stars.

Cons:

• Crappy gas efficiency. Needs refilling after almost every mag. << some times i don't get off all 29rds before i am out of gas!!!, i bought 2 off CO2 mags, they are only slightly better, 2 mags worth of bb's = empty CO2
  • BBs have a tendency to not fire and just fall out the front instead. I've read some other reviews and it seems to be a somewhat common problem. << i have not had this personally
  • The magazine is incredible hard to load, the spring is SO STIFF it hurt my fingers just holding it down to get the BBs in. << all 3 off mine are the same, i use a 450rd speed loader with the pistol mag loading tool
  • The mag release.... its huge! sticks out a mile, and will catch on anything!! i have almost lost one of my mags twice during one game.
  • The big one... the stupid front sight. Let me show you;

ZulsHOd.jpg

For some reason is front sight isn't attached to the rest of the slide. This is the source of it's biggest problem. It's held in place by one screw which needs an allen key on the bottom which EASILY rattles out, making the front really loose and compromising your ability to aim. And if the screw comes all the way out, the front is going to fall off and you're going to lose the screw. No one wants to be firing away and suddenly it falls apart in your hands, or wants to have to stop, pull out your bloody allen key and tighten it every half mag. I had to put tape over the screw just to stop it falling out. That's horrible design right there. If it buggers up on the field you're better off just stashing it away rather than trying to fix it mid-game because it will take a while and you'll have to get your allen key out and everything, it's a massive faff. << mine has come loose too, its very annoying. you also have to remove the front sight to do a DCOA, which means having to re-sight your gun every time!!! the front sight also tends to get caught on some holsters.

My personal opinion of GBB pistols is that they're not very practical in many, if any situations and you're almost always better off using your primary. For that reason I think they're more for show. They look cool and they're great to have, fun to play with but not to skirmish. Goof for impressing your friends not not all that much else.

So to sum up, it looks and feels absolutely brilliant, but it's design is bad and it's rather lacking in every other aspect. There's a good chance I would never even pull this out of my holster unless I'm completely out of ammo for my primary, which is unlikely because I use hi-cap mags and carry extra BBs just in case. It's not that expensive though, so you might like to get one if you're looking for a show piece, but if you're looking for something that's great to actually use, you might want to look elsewhere.

I'd give this gun a 3/5 or a 6/10 because it does what I personally want a pistol to do, but ultimately it fails in it's practicality. ​<<< I completely agree

Just a point to note, i bought my gun brand new, and much as i do love this gun, the horrid gas efficiency and mag release is the reason why i use a AEP. My dragon is now my back up pistol (read as stays at home on display!).

an interesting point, a friend of mine has the WE 4.3 (it might be 3.8) hi capa, he recons its great on gas(i am told 3 to 5 mags worth of bb's per gas fill). now both guns take the same mags, so why is my dragon so heavy on gas, when it has a half slide vrs his with a full side .... seems bonkers to me :wacko::wacko:

Archived