Battlefield 4

Lozart
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So......anyone else up for this?

Looks AWESOME so far (obvs I'll be playing on PC)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

Are you kidding me? It's done on an updated engine and everything gone up a notch because of next gen consoles.

It's going to be the only game I play for the next 2 years I reckon, it can only be better than BF3 based on the footage and news I've seen/heard so far.

Yeah but BF3 was on a new engine and it was really broken when it came out and still has issues now. I'll wait to see it properly to definitely make up my mind on it. The next gen console stuff isn't that big a deal at the minute. Give it a few years when they have "elite" editions of the Xbone and PS4 then it might be worth changing over. My friend plays BF3 on the PC and it's just a completely different experience, with players who actually play the objectives and use their classes properly.

• Supporters

My friend plays BF3 on the PC and it's just a completely different experience, with players who actually play the objectives and use their classes properly.

You can't say there's that difference on the PC and the consoles, it's just not true. The experience is massively different, yes, but there's no change in how people behave.

There are dicks on both and people who play properly on both. I play on the 360 and rarely find anyone pissing around or failing to play the game properly, when I watch others play on the PC on YouTube and such, it's no different, there are just more people.

Also, BF4 is using a lot of the same coding as BF3 was, so all the fixes from BF3 ought to carry straight over, and they're ironing out all the fixes that are still prevalent (not that I can name any apart from client side hit registration, which wasn't something they could patch out anyway) for the release of BF4.

Both versions of the game will be the same for BF4, next gen is getting 64 players and 60fps locked as standard, so the only thing the PC will have over it is different controls, better graphics and higher frame rates on top end systems. The PC is also gaining VOIP, which the consoles have always had, so the only major difference to the game is that console doesn't get the text chat option that PC players have. Or the commo rose.

• Supporters

COD have got away with just upgrading graphics for 5 years, this instalment of battlefield may not be a huge update but it still looks good. I just hope the maps are a bit bigger than 3 as I felt some of them were a bit restrictive. (or maybe I'm just crap at it?)

You can't say there's that difference on the PC and the consoles, it's just not true. The experience is massively different, yes, but there's no change in how people behave.

There are dicks on both and people who play properly on both. I play on the 360 and rarely find anyone pissing around or failing to play the game properly, when I watch others play on the PC on YouTube and such, it's no different, there are just more people.

I play on the 360 also and I always find people at spawn shooting each other or running away from points that are being attacked. It's becoming a rarity for me to find players that know what they're doing and my friend plays on the 360 with and hates it cause of the players not doing their jobs. He rarely has that issue on pc.

COD have got away with just upgrading graphics for 5 years, this instalment of battlefield may not be a huge update but it still looks good. I just hope the maps are a bit bigger than 3 as I felt some of them were a bit restrictive. (or maybe I'm just crap at it?)

Definitely agree with the COD comment. The fact they now have women in the game shows how far behind they are and they're kinda clutching at straws. Hopefully the maps in BF4 will be the same size as on the PC as Ed said they're will be 64 players so the maps will be huge to compensate having such a large amount of players.

I'm not saying BF4 is going to be terrible, I'm just not getting sucked in by all the hype. I miss playing BC2, that is still my favourite but now it is dated vs BF3 and the player base has shrunk considerably but that doesn't mean that I want BF2/ BC2 features in a new game. It may be the best game ever (it'll certainly smash Ghosts/ MW 1100 for sure) but I'm just not sure about it.

• Supporters

I play on hardcore no map servers exclusively, if you play normal then perhaps that's where our experiences differ? On hardcore you can actually kill your friendlies and because of the higher damage and reliance on sound because of the lack of a map all making the game more realistic, you tend to not get many people being dicks all that often.

I sometimes go on the East US servers as well, and most have admins which enforce rules regarding use of a mic, so there's a lot of proper team play and stuff. Far more than is even possible on the PC, because the entire team are on team VOIP whereas on PC, you can only have your mates all chatting through Team Speak, or Skype, Ventrilo or whatever.

In my eyes, even if BF4 is the same game, I'll still get more out of it just because I'll be able to experience it with more players at long last.

The only decision I'm suffering with is whether or not to buy it on current gen when the game is realised, and then buy it again for next gen once the consoles are release. DICE have said you will be able to carry your stats over, but I won't be able to because I'll be getting a PS4 and not an XB1. So although I'd still be on par with people in terms of skill at the game and map knowledge, I'd have to start again from scratch on the unlocks...

Of course I could just buy a PC, but they're far more complicated and would cost me twice as much... Stuck in a bit of a mire with it all.

I play on hardcore no map servers exclusively, if you play normal then perhaps that's where our experiences differ? On hardcore you can actually kill your friendlies and because of the higher damage and reliance on sound because of the lack of a map all making the game more realistic, you tend to not get many people being dicks all that often.

I sometimes go on the East US servers as well, and most have admins which enforce rules regarding use of a mic, so there's a lot of proper team play and stuff. Far more than is even possible on the PC, because the entire team are on team VOIP whereas on PC, you can only have your mates all chatting through Team Speak, or Skype, Ventrilo or whatever.

In my eyes, even if BF4 is the same game, I'll still get more out of it just because I'll be able to experience it with more players at long last.

The only decision I'm suffering with is whether or not to buy it on current gen when the game is realised, and then buy it again for next gen once the consoles are release. DICE have said you will be able to carry your stats over, but I won't be able to because I'll be getting a PS4 and not an XB1. So although I'd still be on par with people in terms of skill at the game and map knowledge, I'd have to start again from scratch on the unlocks...

Of course I could just buy a PC, but they're far more complicated and would cost me twice as much... Stuck in a bit of a mire with it all.

That's the difference then, I play on normal servers. I might have a look at the Hardcore servers and if I can find an admin who actually enforces the rules that would be great.

I'll have to get BF4 cause my friends are going to get it but I was in the same boat as you in regards to the next gen/ PC/ current gen thing. My mate is badgering me to get a PC but if I'm honest the PC thing is quite expensive and I'd like to put that kind of money in to Airsoft (which weirdly is cheaper and looks more fun) or an actual hobby that doesn't mean I'll spend my days vegetating in a chair. I'd hate to have to start from scratch, especially with some of the annoying assignments.

• Supporters

I'm not sure if you don't play PC games much but loads of servers have public teamspeak(or equivalent) servers so everyone that wants to play as a team can.

• Supporters

Yeah, I play exclusively on PC and we use Teamspeak. I also tend to hang around on the HC servers for the same reasons as Ed!

I really hope the console versions are closer to what we've been used to on PC for BF3 et al because it really is SOOOOO much prettier! And bigger. With a commo rose.

Plus a decent gaming PC needn't actually be super expensive (although to be fair we may well have very different definitions of expensive) but yes it will be pricier than a console if you want the bleeding edge graphical loveliness...

Never? You're missing out, although it's an amazing point to start. Looks good, and I'm quite happy about the defib changes, I think LevelCap said that you can only revive 3 people in one life (you have charge packs or something like that.)

So finally when I mow down the enemy team, no longer will I run around the corner to find them all back alive again!

Jets, Buggies, Humvees, Tanks, APCs, IFVs, AA tanks, Attack helos, transport helos, scout helos. In one DLC pack for BF3 you had Dirtbikes, and another you got quads. quads might be back for bf4.

Jets, Buggies, Humvees, Tanks, APCs, IFVs, AA tanks, Attack helos, transport helos, scout helos. In one DLC pack for BF3 you had Dirtbikes, and another you got quads. quads might be back for bf4.

I've seen a video for BF4 where there are quads. They look awesome!

• Root Admin

Battlefield for me has always been better than any COD. I imagine not many people on here actually like COD?

Call of Duty 1, 2 and 3 were amazing - when we refer to the progressively shitty Modern Warfare series can we play make sure we're not calling it 'COD'? The old games were absolutely fantastic.

Throwing potatoes into bathtubs!

Call of Duty 1, 2 and 3 were amazing - when we refer to the progressively shitty Modern Warfare series can we play make sure we're not calling it 'COD'? The old games were absolutely fantastic.

Throwing potatoes into bathtubs!

Don't forget Blops 1/2/probably Ghosts.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

been playing the beta,my god its awesome

Yeah, I like it! Some servers seem pretty laggy at the minute but I'm liking the general style. Not loving the roof campers... :)

• Supporters

It's very much a different game I think, plays more like a mixture of Medal of Honour and CoD than Battlefield, especially in the sense that guns have almost no recoil and the incredibly ridiculous, arcady drop on tank shells.

But I like it a lot, played the shit out of it. Also, there's still that glitch happening on console where you lose the mag if you reload, and I've got to say, I really like it. The ammo conservation tactics you have to employ make the game so much more satisfying when you pull of kill streaks.

It's like, "I've got half a mag left, the bullets might come in handy... But, if I'm rushed by more guys than that can deal with, I might not live to use them anyway..."

Do you reload to stand a better chance against more people, and take the hit in ammo?

Or do you take the hit in ammo and stand a better chance in your next encounter?

It's making me a much better player I think, had quite a few games where I've gone 30 or more kills with barely more than 5 deaths.

• Supporters

But I like it a lot, played the sh*t out of it. Also, there's still that glitch happening on console where you lose the mag if you reload, and I've got to say, I really like it. The ammo conservation tactics you have to employ make the game so much more satisfying when you pull of kill streaks.

That shouldn't be a glitch, a lot of games have that as feature, which I like. It's not like you're going to empty the rounds from a magazine to top up another one in the middle of a firefight.

One of the reasons I like ArmA so much is that it remembers how many rounds are left in each magazine, when you re-load, it puts the one with the most in the gun. If you re-load after every few shots, like people do in most FPS games, then you'll eventually be left with 10 magazines with 3 or 4 shots in each.

Archived