Ian's guide to noobism on a tight budget.

Ian_Gere
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Moderators

ok, been a while since the last post.... :rolleyes:

great guide, all be it im still new but been reading more than playing the last few...mmm more than years, still some great basics in here,

forums great - camo debates are interesting, reading different opinions, im going with 'go with what you like as with most players, myself included, its good to look good but not really gonna help'!

Im still 2 games to go anyway from UKARA (would be less but summer hols preventing it!) but some 'friends via a friend' have suggested Cyma or JG as the RIF make, cheaper but as good as others?

anyway, great guide, some sites im going to look at but thought a new post may re-kindle some more love for the topic! :D

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Supporters

I've updated some of the URL's and replaced some of the pics which had lapsed into no longer being hosted. As ever all comments, additional info, sources of newer equipment than listed becoming available in large quantities and cheap, etc are welcome. Let's keep this guide up to date my friends, as let's face it, it is the answer to 80% of our newest members' first questions.

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

Will have my UKARA next week and looking for advice on what to buy weapon wise. And look to buy from taiwanguns simply from a price point of view.

I've read that the Cyma AKs are solid. But what about their m4's?
Have a few mags already for an me which I have been given.

So far, I have got my goggles, holo sight, fore grip, and a tac vest. Clothing I have already, such as camo and boots.

I have gone through the list above, and have about £100-150 to spend.

What would my money best be spent on? Will be skirmishing in both indoor cqb environment and outdoor.

My current basket is:
Dump pouch
3x m4 high caps
1x cm507
1x 8.4v battery to match
1xm92 green gas (non blowback)
1xm92 spare mag

I understand that it would be better to have a spare full set before pistol but will pick a sniper up soon to tinker with. It's what I feel most comfortable with having come from a rifle background, and will be a side project to get shooting exactly how I want.

Bearing in mind I want new, am happy to order abroad, what would your recommendations be for this size budget

• Root Admin

Why in the christ would you spend money on a vest, optic and clothing. Rule #1 of buying as a beginner is to put all the money you can muster into a gun and not to diversify until later - you'd have £200 to spend :S

I'ts a bit late to berate him now...

On a practical note ditch the pistol and the CYMA M4. If you want an M4 to use the mags you have, just buy a G&G combat machine.

As i said previously, I already owned the clothing and my optics, due to shooting and hunting with both air rifles and centrefire/rim fire. If your out hunting rabbit/pigeon I' going to be wearing camo, to help blend in.

Tac vest was bought at below trade price as I work in the shooting industry and know it's something I will need moving forward.

So the overall suggestion is to swap over to to say a CM028a or cm28u?

What would be best to swap the pistol and mags to?

• Supporters

Cyma AK's are outstanding - this is where cyma shine for budget AK's amongst other stuff

do not get a 5xx cyma ak, get a 28 or 31 - for a little more

too much plastic on 5xx guns - you will regret getting 5xx AK with break-able plastic cover

028 has durable metal cover so well worth the bit extra - trust me

M4 wise the 515 isn't bad for £70 but is a bit too plasticy and may break under abuse

internals are quite sound though - just receiver is a bit too plasticy compared to polymer Raider

JG G36c is another option - this G36c is hard to beat

soz to Ian's guide, maybe start a new thread if you wish rather than us keep clogging up this one

(though an occasional bump for new players is perhaps not a bad thing....)

• Root Admin

I'ts a bit late to berate him now...

On a practical note ditch the pistol and the CYMA M4. If you want an M4 to use the mags you have, just buy a G&G combat machine.

Never too late to berate people on the internet.

Seriously though - wasn't aware of the circumstances and thought you were just another person doing all the thinking with their wallet. We get a lot of the those.

Sorry.

• Supporters

My advice is:

Get a P&J or A&K M4 if you want an M4. P&J is A&K, just rebranded. That's the best value for money M4 now in that price range.

Get any cyma AK if you don't want to use many accessories.

Forget the pistol. You don't need that. Get good quality 0.25 or 0.28 BBs. If you have £20-30 left, then a red dot too. Aimpoint or T-1.

Don't buy nimh battery. Go for 7.4V lipo with a charger. If you get a battery with the gun, you can use that for a while.

Get a one point sling. Don't use the one that comes with the gun, if there is one.

Clean the barrel before and after the first game.

Switch to mid-caps when you are ready.

As i said previously, I already owned the clothing and my optics, due to shooting and hunting with both air rifles and centrefire/rim fire. If your out hunting rabbit/pigeon I' going to be wearing camo, to help blend in.

Optics don't always transfer across - also, do not use an expensive optic that you got/need for something else - they get destroyed very easily without protection.

Hey,

Firstly let me appologies. Didn't want to come accross ass-haty (Which I have done). Typed the original part up right before bed, and thought I had included I have experience shooting from a rifle perspective, as well as I working for a distributor. I don't want to upset anyone here before getting involved in anything.

In terms of optics, I wouldn't dare use any of my expensive niko's or rifle scopes. Just cheap bits that I've accumulated and am happy to break. Understand the difference between rifle/air rifle/weaver rails, and believe a lot of the bits I have are weaver rail compatible.

I've got a lens guard for the dot sight on the list at least.

Thanks for the advice on the AKs. Think I'll go for the Tac AK with foldable stock in the 28 range. Will drop the pistol if the advice is against it. Put that money aside and save for an m4 or an mp5 of sort.

Thanks for the advice all. Wanted to post in hear so I didn't clog everything up and people say I read the suggested more thoroughly.

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, Sammolllara said:

Hi Ian,

Great Guide, I was just wanting to clarify as an u18 is it illegal for my to own and use a RiF airsoft gun or should I keep it as two-tone.

No.. its illegal for you to be sold one 

On 4/11/2017 at 11:48 PM, Albiscuit said:

No.. its illegal for you to be sold one 

Actually it's illegal for him to buy one too. - Both IFs and RIFs under any circumstances

Ownership is still perfectly legal for bona fide gifts.

7 hours ago, Sacarathe said:

Actually it's illegal for him to buy one too. - Both IFs and RIFs under any circumstances

Ownership is still perfectly legal for bona fide gifts.

And manufacturing a RIF is not illegal with a defence, so u18 AFAIK can buy an upper and a lower and mate them legally. I imagine it would still be illegal if a sole seller was in on it as the law could easily see it as a single transaction.

Noob moment here:

what does AFAIK stand for?

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Sammolllara said:

Noob moment here:

what does AFAIK stand for?

Airsoft Forums Against Immature Knobs....:lol::lol:....had others!

sorry i mean

As Far As I Know...... :mellow:

would post you a link but work also blocks the site....shocking! haha

(dont worry i google the odd short hand as well, being old and that or ask my 5 yr old daughter!)

14 minutes ago, djben9 said:

Airsoft Forums Against Immature Knobs....:lol::lol:....had others!

sorry i mean

As Far As I Know...... :mellow:

would post you a link but work also blocks the site....shocking! haha

(dont worry i google the odd short hand as well, being old and that or ask my 5 yr old daughter!)

Airsoft forum against immature knobs is brilliant :)

• Supporters

The distinction here is who is committing the offence: an under 18 buying an airsoft gun is committing an offence, so is the seller.  An over 18 buying an airsoft gun is NOT committing an offence, however the seller is if it's a RIF; they may have a defence against prosecution for having committed that offence e.g. the buyer is a skirmisher. 

As a result, it's 100% legal for Big Jim (he's 18 or over) can LEGALLY buy an airsoft gun (RIF or IF, makes ZERO difference), whether he can provide a defence to the seller or not he is breaking no law.  the SELLER on the other hand cannot sell a RIF to Big Jim unless the seller can prove that they are able to provide themselves with a defence against prosecution for SELLING a RIF to someone.  Big Jim has broken no laws at any point.  

That's why UKARA exists, to provide the RETAILER with a defence against prosecution, you as the purchaser do not require one as you're not breaking any law. 

Archived