broken m4 help

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

When you say 'it doesn't seem to be firing' do you mean when you pull the trigger nothing happens, or when you pull the trigger it fires, but doesn't fire any BB's?

Turn the hop completely off- doubt it will be that though.

To build on what spoon said: if you are using hi cap mag ( often standard with a gun) then you must wind them up after you have poured your BB's in at the top. The winding wheel is usually found at the bottom of the mag.

No that's ok, no problem, but it's best to check basic things first. So from from what I can see so far:

1. Mag is filled and wound

2. Mag inserted into gun

3. Gun fired, nothing flies out the end, correct?

Is there any wobble, up and down or side to side when the mag is inserted?

If I were to diagnose one of my ICS M4's I would (in this order):

1. split the upper and lower to make sure that the bevel gear is spinning freely (make sure that the non geared side is up once finished (you'll see what I mean)).

2. Check the piston, see whether there are any teeth missing and see whether there is any movement up down or side to side.

3. Look down the barrel from the hop side to see whether there are any obvious obstructions.

4. Re- assemble and, without the mag inserted, fire with your hand over the barrel to see whether there is any air fired out.

On the assumption that there is no obvious problems from the previous check but it is still not firing try taking the piston apart as it may fix it. Personally I think it will be the O-ring seal on the piston or a tooth missing on the piston.

Other than that try check the hop unit as a last resort.

The other options could be tappet plate spring bust, nozzle disconnected from tappet plate, misalignment of nozzle with hop unit, mag not seating correctly.

As previously mentioned, split the upper receiver from the lower. Then try pushing in the nozzle. Is there resistance and does it spring back strongly? If so, tappet plate spring should be OK, but to test, try firing it with the upper removed. Does the nozzle move back and forward smoothly? If not, that is your problem. If it does, hold your hand in front of the nozzle as you fire it (not touching). Can you feel a strong blast of air? If so, piston seal is probably good, if not, replace seal.

If all that is OK, remove the inner barrel and hop unit and push it over the nozzle until it seats properly. Now insert a partly loaded mag into the magwell. Does the mag fit properly and line up perfectly with the feed probe of the hop unit with the hop pushed hard back towards the cylinder housing, and feed bbs into the hop? If not, there's your problem. Some hop units can be a poor match for the bottom receiver. I had this with an M15 I built. One metal hop unit didn't seem to line up properly at all, but replacing it with an Element plastic hop solved the problem, whilst the metal hop worked perfectly in an M16.

If all that is good, refit the upper receiver, including inner barrel, then turn over the rifle so that you can see into the magwell. Try dry firing on semi and auto. Can you see the nozzle moving smoothly back and forward in the hop feed hole? If yes, I'm stumped. If not, check the alignment of the upper & lower and that the push back spring is fitted to the top of the hop unit. Missing that out can cause a misalignment & misfeeds.

• Supporters

Try looking in the mag well, down the hop bb feed tube, then dry fire the gun, it happens really quick but you should be able to see the nozzle move don't blink though ;) it happens really really quick!

Archived