Stippling, who does it?

M_P
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Quite simply, does anyone here bother stippling their grips or other things?

Is it worth the time it would take to do so? I've never bothered, but just seeing what people think.

• Supporters

Is there a way to sand your grip to stipple it, or were you going to get a new grip or something? I don't see the need tbh, just wear some grippy gloves if it's slippy. Or get some sort of stippled tape or something, maybe?

• Supporters

or were you going to get a new grip or something? I don't see the need tbh, just wear some grippy gloves if it's slippy.

I just think it looks cool :lol: But I dont want to spend hours with a soldering iron or whatever unless there's a decent gain by doing so. Might just find an old AR grip and give it a go on that and see.

A certain Renegade member has stippled his glock 19.

• Supporters

When you hold something like a G17, KWA ATP or similar (mostly glocks and copies thereof) that's had a professional job on the frame it's definitely noticeable. I think the idea care around perhaps more to accommodate folks who EDC a pistol in the states; obviously when you're sitting eating lunch or whatever you won't have tactical gloves on should the sudden need arise to defend yourself against an armed maniac.

The difference in the comfort of the hold on the weapon is more in the alterations to the dimensions of the frame than the stippling however. The stippling gives a more consistent all-round grip that's quite likely going to be nicer than the texture put on at manufacture, but it's the modifications like filing away the finger grooves at the front, cutting up in to the trigger guard, raising the area at the back where the web of the hand sits etc. That sort of stuff makes the most difference and it's tricky to get right, go too far with the file/dremel and you'll end up with a nice hole in your frame.

• Supporters

Don't like it personally, feels wierd to me. Some prefer it, to each their own I guess.

It does take a long time and there is no way around it, 4 hours? for a pistol done decently.

Gain as far as grip goes, probably very little. If you're worried about your pistol slipping, you aren't holding it right in the first place.

For the same time and effort, you'd be better off filing, sanding and dremmeling the pistol grip to suit your hands and grip exactly, maybe install a thumb rest if that's your kind of thing (I know it's mine!)

Simple things like raising the the bottom of the trigger guard at the back and raising the tang of the pistol can make a huge difference to feel and overall controllability and point-ability.

• 4 years later...

Honestly, I would sooner put skateboard tape on it than take a power tool to the frame. I think what you've done there is WAY too coarse.

always liked the texture on the P07 though - those patterns are badass.

https://m.imgur.com/cTjV5TI

5 hours ago, Lansky said:

And Ashonsnow as what I've said there are various types of stippling designs. 

Quite aware of that, but thank you for letting me know just in case :)

There's no need to get defensive - it's your gun, you can do with it as you please. You put up pictures, I commented on it with an honest opinion, welcome to the wonderful world of forums. I didn't say "ewwwww you're crap, what a load of s**t, you've no idea what you're doing, you're a damn idiot, that gun sucks ass, you even lift bro?". I just said that, in my opinion, the stipple you've done is far too coarse.

On 13/07/2013 at 3:32 PM, CKinnerley said:

When you hold something like a G17, KWA ATP or similar (mostly glocks and copies thereof) that's had a professional job on the frame it's definitely noticeable. I think the idea care around perhaps more to accommodate folks who EDC a pistol in the states; obviously when you're sitting eating lunch or whatever you won't have tactical gloves on should the sudden need arise to defend yourself against an armed maniac.

The difference in the comfort of the hold on the weapon is more in the alterations to the dimensions of the frame than the stippling however. The stippling gives a more consistent all-round grip that's quite likely going to be nicer than the texture put on at manufacture, but it's the modifications like filing away the finger grooves at the front, cutting up in to the trigger guard, raising the area at the back where the web of the hand sits etc. That sort of stuff makes the most difference and it's tricky to get right, go too far with the file/dremel and you'll end up with a nice hole in your frame.

Agree 100%.

Most important thing in my opinion is to choose a gun that fits your hand best. For me, that's the P226 with gloves, or the PPQ without (damn thing's a revelation)! I've always found Glock and 1911 grips uncomfortable and I've generally avoided them - I have a Glock 19 for a particular loadout, and ended up with a 1911 on a multibuy, but I've never skirmished either.

If you've had the foresight to choose a pistol that fits you comfortably, that you can quickly grab and it just sits in your hand like it was tailor made, then you don't need to worry about stippling unless you're planning on getting wet.

FYI, if you want to be able to do a really precise "stipple-effect" stencil without going mad with dremels and soldering irons, you can make stencils out of paper and lay them over your frame, then use a textured spray paint like a stone-effect spray on top. You can put on all sorts of patterns.

• Supporters

Holy necro quote.

You're not wrong, however factory pistols are designed around the lowest common denominator, especially military/police weapons.  They're designed first and foremost to be durable and to have a decent fit for the majority of people, not to be a precise fit in the hand of a specific person or to squeak out the absolute maximum control and performance, that's why frame customisation is such a huge and profitable market.  An off the rack suit just won't fit anyone like a tailored suit, it's not going to happen.  The top competitors in sports like 3-gun so often have custom jobs done (that involve stippling) because it's been well proven at this point.  It's a lot of time/cost for a relatively small gain and there's no 'need' in airsoft from a handling perspective, but that's pretty irrelevant.

I've fired various 9mm and .45 pistols, mostly the Browning Hi-Power and G17 Gen 4 of course and as someone with sweaty palms, the total lack of anything noticeably rough on the grip of service issued BHPs (at the time) was a nightmare.  The factory Gen 4 is definitely better for me and the highly custom stippled Glocks and M&Ps I've shot were better still.  Going back in time on the flip side, I found the Luger and older style 1911s much trickier to hold on to under recoil.

If you're concealed carrying something, having an overly aggressive texture is going to be unpleasant.  If it's always in a holster and you're only ever carrying the gun for maybe 2 days tops in some sort of airsoft game, then go wild I say.  I've got VZGrips G10 panels on 1 or 2 modified TM 1911s that are just as deeply contoured as the stippling shown above and the G10 is super rough on the surface, but the traction in the hand is honestly really nice on a full metal 1911 GBB and to look at the grip panels nobody would ever think they seem excessively coarse from a picture; not that you can ever truly tell from a picture alone.

1 hour ago, CKinnerley said:

Holy necro quote.

You're not wrong, however factory pistols are designed around the lowest common denominator, especially military/police weapons.  They're designed first and foremost to be durable and to have a decent fit for the majority of people, not to be a precise fit in the hand of a specific person or to squeak out the absolute maximum control and performance, that's why frame customisation is such a huge and profitable market.  An off the rack suit just won't fit anyone like a tailored suit, it's not going to happen.  The top competitors in sports like 3-gun so often have custom jobs done (that involve stippling) because it's been well proven at this point.  It's a lot of time/cost for a relatively small gain and there's no 'need' in airsoft from a handling perspective, but that's pretty irrelevant.

I've fired various 9mm and .45 pistols, mostly the Browning Hi-Power and G17 Gen 4 of course and as someone with sweaty palms, the total lack of anything noticeably rough on the grip of service issued BHPs (at the time) was a nightmare.  The factory Gen 4 is definitely better for me and the highly custom stippled Glocks and M&Ps I've shot were better still.  Going back in time on the flip side, I found the Luger and older style 1911s much trickier to hold on to under recoil.

If you're concealed carrying something, having an overly aggressive texture is going to be unpleasant.  If it's always in a holster and you're only ever carrying the gun for maybe 2 days tops in some sort of airsoft game, then go wild I say.  I've got VZGrips G10 panels on 1 or 2 modified TM 1911s that are just as deeply contoured as the stippling shown above and the G10 is super rough on the surface, but the traction in the hand is honestly really nice on a full metal 1911 GBB and to look at the grip panels nobody would ever think they seem excessively coarse from a picture; not that you can ever truly tell from a picture alone.

Yeah I used to shoot the Glock 17 Gen 3 which was a PITA for my hands. The glock in general is just square, and hands aren't square!

The Sig on the other hand (pun intended) was a great fit. I only shot 9mm, never had the chance to shoot .45.

Never shot the hi power, but I can see from looking at it how it could be a major buzzkill. Those finger groove grips for the 226 look like the bees knees - 41KBr0l12oL.jpg

Personal preference I have yet to see a stipple job I like the look of, to me they more often than not make it look a bit tacky. Grip wise I've used a Glock 17 gen 4, g18 gen 3 , m9 and I've yet to struggle to grip them even after rain or my glove being covered in wet mud. 

• Supporters
52 minutes ago, lemon191 said:

Grip wise I've used a Glock 17 gen 4, g18 gen 3 , m9 and I've yet to struggle to grip them even after rain or my glove being covered in wet mud. 

Where did you get to shoot a G18 in field conditions?

WE glock 18 .. are we not discussing airsoft now ? Lol. I can understand a real fire arm may benefit from extra grip with the recoil etc but airsoft doesn't have anything close to that so can't see the need 

• Supporters

I figured talking about 9mm and .45 and service issued sidearms would imply that if I'm honest.  I was quoted on a post about firearms so that's what I was discussing, but hey crossed wires.

Need is irrelevant however.  Airsoft barrels don't get hot, no need for a handguard.  They generally don't recoil, no need for a stock.  No muzzle flash, no need for a flash hider.  No need for mags when you can feed BBs from a big ol' hopper paintball style.  It's not life or death, no need for camo or plate carriers or helmets.  You can walk your BBs on to the target, no need for red dots, scopes or iron sights.  People only ever deem things 'unnecessary' in airsoft if they're not already accepted norms.  Not a personal dig it just happens all over the place.

I did see ash had spoke about using a 9mm real steel but I think it's fair to say the original thread is talking about airsoft like you said, crossed wires.

I did say it was personal preference, everyone has different ideas on what looks good and what doesn't. Most things in airsoft comes down to looks more than actual function. Hence why I spoke about me not really liking the look but thought i would throw in the fact I've never struggled to grip anything but then I've always used gloves so maybe that's why 

23 minutes ago, lemon191 said:

I did see ash had spoke about using a 9mm real steel but I think it's fair to say the original thread is talking about airsoft like you said, crossed wires.

I did say it was personal preference, everyone has different ideas on what looks good and what doesn't. Most things in airsoft comes down to looks more than actual function. Hence why I spoke about me not really liking the look but thought i would throw in the fact I've never struggled to grip anything but then I've always used gloves so maybe that's why 

Yeah, I used to shoot pistols .22 and 9mm when I lived abroad, I was referring to that in terms of the recoil and use of moulded grips or stipple use. Looks like things got a bit muddled in the crosstalk :)

Out of interest, what gloves do you use? (I tried some tactical viper ones and they were just so terrible - it was harder to grip my (AIRSOFT) Sig WITH the gloves than without.

I've used various but at the moment I've got mechanix mpack gloves, if you want grip try mechanix grip original they were really good grip wise. Before them I used cheap ebay clones of Oakley gloves 

9 hours ago, lemon191 said:

I've used various but at the moment I've got mechanix mpack gloves, if you want grip try mechanix grip original they were really good grip wise. Before them I used cheap ebay clones of Oakley gloves 

I used those Mechanix MPact ones too - they were much better.

Archived