Starting out...

Sphagin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I attended my first airsoft skirmish last Saturday while on holiday on the Isle of White. 'twas very fun indeed. :lol:

Anyway, I'm thinking of purchasing my first airsoft gun. Being 16 means I'll have to have a two-tone gifted to me.

Here's my question; Is it worth me getting a two-tone?

If so, could someone suggest a reasonably priced gun that will be a good starting gun. Meaning easy to maintain, reliable, cheap while still performing decently in a skirmish.

Or should I buy second hand?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Supporters

go with a JG or SRC G36 (any varient you want)

good quality and with at least 2 years before you can buy RIF's, its half the price you would spend on rental guns.

around £120-130 for the JG and around £170 for the SRC, but you need to buy a battery or two and cahrger for the SRC

Hehehe. :P

Ak's are far superior.

Anyway, here are a couple I've found on websites that offers a two-tone service:

http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/...ct&id=16283

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/clas...7-folding-stock

I quite like the second, as I learnt that a folding stock is very useful and it's also cheaper. xD

They both are 'Sportline' which means they come with goggles, battery, charger and stuff.

• Supporters

its the AK I would go for (stock movingey one.... wait, what?) CA sportlines are alright, will certainly do the job, will last and all that, just may need a few upgrades/touching up later (things are more likely to break than a proline model)

battery i Believe is a mini-tamiya 8.4V stick battery.

Me thinks I'm gunna wait a while to see if I can get a good second hand gun. :)

Might save a few quid.

Thanks for the help. :D

trust me them guns arent expensive there well cheap for the ok quality but get an src m4 wayy better gun

I am going to go down the route of "Wait until you are 18 and buy a RIF not a 2-tone".

How often do you think you will able to go to a skirmish?

I don't mean that in a patronising way but say you site charges £15 gun rental (quite cheap for rental), most guns that are worth buying are around the £150-200 mark, so you would need to skirmish AT LEAST 10 time with the gun before it is has been a economical option. That is 5 skirmishes a year, which for me with my own job and car is fine but for yourself (who I assume will be going to 6th form in September) money is tight and time is a factor too, you will have exams that will take up 2 months of the summer and a month of the winter and you will have course work and home work to do.

My opinion is you wait until 18 (and if you have been skirmishing on an off during the 2 years membership isn't a problem) and you can buy yourself a lovely metal and wood AK (which are beautiful guns) without having to have lime green covering half of it (a sin unto all that is holy). In those 2 years you can have a go with other guns (I recommend G3's if you like Ak's) and save up for more than a budget starter gun, which will be well worth it trust me on this.

2-tones reduce the credible reason for us to be allowed to use RIF's, unless you have the money and the time to go AT LEAST once a month there isn't that much point in buying you own gun now. Plus you will end up spending an extra £100 on a vest and mags and batteries too. DO some research and take your time, there is no point rushing thing just because you enjoyed it once, go to more skirmishes and if in 2 years you are still dead set on airsoft then invest in a good gun, you wouldn't believe the difference in feel and reliability.

I am not trying to put you off only to give you the value of my experience, we were all young and living at 100mph once, but not everything works best at those speeds.

• Supporters

Choose what gun you like the look of the most, it shouldn't be other peoples decision to say get an AK47 or whatever as they probably like there AK where as someone who likes there m4 will go get an m4! see what i mean :P go look at what you like the look of and post back here and we can advise on what manufacturers you should look at.

Abaddon raises a good point.

This VCRA is really annoying. It's killing off the next generation of airsofters. :(

My nearest rental place is a 2 hour drive away, and considering I'm too young to drive for another 13 weeks, its a bit much to ask a parent to get up at 6 drive me there by 9 and wait all day till I'm done. There is a nearer place, but they dont do rentals.

I'd really love to buy a rifle, but the two-tone factor is really offputting, and considering I'm gunna spend quite a biut of money on a rifle, I dont want it to look like a kids toy.

Bah.

Hi, i'm pretty much in the same position! I'm 16 and went to my first Skirmish on 17th July, and I loved it! I think i'm going to take the advice of waiting untill i'm 18 before getting an expensive gun so it isn't 2 tone as you can never be sure whether you'll carru on with a new hobby.

What I was wondering, was whether I should get a cheaper, 2 tone gun that I can have a bit of fun with my friends and use as a secondary to my rent gun i'll get at a skirmish and perhaps if I get an actual gun! I don't really want to be paying more than £40, if you guys think this is a good idea, has anyone got any recommendations or could direct me to a site?

£40 really isnt enought to get anything that you can use effectivly in a skirmish

You might get a cheap second hand pistol of of here which you could use but TBH it ant worht the money

£40 for a skirmish weapon? you'd be lucky. like Matt said.. add £60 to that for a half decent beginners weapon.

most pistols cost just over £100 and a suitable RIF would cost £150+ if you have a tight budget i would suggest scouring the second hand threads in forums.

MP5s, AKs and M4s are all readily availibe second hand at a fair price.

dont forget, if you want a RIF you will need to have a UKARA even if you have it second hand.

Archived