The danger of mesh glasses (cautionary tail)

sp00n
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

so this evening i went to arena airsoft in grimsby, was the end of the last game of the night.

i got shot in the glasses from 2-4m away, while the glasses deflected the bulk (and now have a dint in them), a small slither of bb made it through (approx 1mm long 0.5mm wide). i don't think any major damage has been done, but my eye is itching like hell.

i am gunna stop wearing mesh glasses, and just wear my ess ice glasses. I thought mesh would be fine, i was wrong ( these are the glasses i was wearing >> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shooting-Tactical-Airsoft-Goggles-No-Fog-Metal-Mesh-Glasses-Protect-Eyes-/190685112679?pt=UK_Protective_Equipment&hash=item2c65b7e967).

I just though i would post this so everyone knows the risks.

• Supporters

fished it out with a cotton bud! water didn't move it.

Edit ;- just wanted to add, when it happened i thought it might have been dust or something, and it wasn't till i got home and had a bloody good look that i found the bit ... still hurts though but i carnt see any more so i guess it just scratched to hell :unsure::unsure:

use the same tested at close range 1 foot away no issues maybe cheaper or poorer quality bbs for them to break up, i always try glasses at close range before use.

Problem is i guess that whilst you can control the quality of your own ammo, other people can (and do) turn up with all sorts of stuff

• Supporters

I got a fragment of BB through my Hero Sharks a couple of months back. It was just like dust in my eye. Mine didn't scratch my eyeball enough to irritate for long.

I have to say that I have my doubts about that style of goggles, regardless of quality. I was wearing them when I got hit between them and my 1/2 face (which was loose) and bled like I'd been shot with a .22 rimfire... The trouble is that the skin up around there is very thin: it's very easy for BB's to go through it, which means that it is eminently possible for a BB to bounce up off the lower edge of the orbit and hit the eyeball from under the skin. They are also the worst for darkening the vision, which is fine when you would like to be wearing shades, but not so good on cloudy days when you're trying to spot camouflaged opponents in foliage, and really sh!t for night games.

I have the same goggles, in my personal experience i've had no problems & I get shot in the face a lot. Most the bb's do is slightly dent them so you may have got a weaker set & those bb's the guy was using weren't high quality which tbh sounds more like it

• Supporters

The glasses/goggles have a minor dent in them. The mesh is not compromised at all.

Will take a pic when I get home from work

so this evening i went to arena airsoft in grimsby, was the end of the last game of the night.

i got shot in the glasses from 2-4m away, while the glasses deflected the bulk (and now have a dint in them), a small slither of bb made it through (approx 1mm long 0.5mm wide). i don't think any major damage has been done, but my eye is itching like hell.

i am gunna stop wearing mesh glasses, and just wear my ess ice glasses. I thought mesh would be fine, i was wrong ( these are the glasses i was wearing >> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shooting-Tactical-Airsoft-Goggles-No-Fog-Metal-Mesh-Glasses-Protect-Eyes-/190685112679?pt=UK_Protective_Equipment&hash=item2c65b7e967).

I just though i would post this so everyone knows the risks.

mate hope your gonna be ok!

do me a favor though....get yourself to the opticians and get them to check your eye out....I had an accident years ago when I was a kid (piece of ricochet brickwork) and it hurt like hell for two days before I told mum and she took me to hospital....they removed 3 tiny fragments of brick but my eye lens was so scratched I gradually lost vision over 2 or 3 weeks and because of the scar tissue I can only see out of one eye now....trust me when I say relearning depth perception is a pain in the arse....and it makes judging distances bloody hard!

just spotted this in airsoft int'l

www.eyearmour.co.uk

think ill have a browse!

Its generally what happens with mesh goggles, Its a design flaw basically.
And it can happen with any type of ammo, no matter the quality, all you need is that one BB that an air pocket inside it from factory process that shatters on impact. Its why I always advise people wear proper glasses and not mesh.

good luck with your eye fella.

This is the reason that if I'm ever at super close range I aim for the chest. Easier to hit, too. :P

Hope your eye is okay!

On a side note. Just got my self a pair of ballistic prescription glasses which is nice. damn my old age impairing my eye sight.

• Supporters

I can't believe anyone would protect their eyes with a pair of sub £5 goggles mesh or not.

+1. You can test them etc and not have issues, but i'd still not feel comfortable knowing that it's just a cheap chinese made product protecting my vision.

+1. You can test them etc and not have issues, but i'd still not feel comfortable knowing that it's just a cheap chinese made product protecting my vision.

+1 I Agree, they are rather important. It's the same with tyres for your car, at the end of the day they are the only thing that keeps you on the road or ploughing into a bus load of school children!

• Supporters

I feel safer wearing those £5 mesh goggles than I do wearing my £30 Revision Sawfly ballistic glasses.

Largely because ballistic glasses have fuck off gaps around all the edges and the mesh ones don't. I've had one BB break through mesh and I've been wearing the same pair for over 3 years.

• Supporters

It doesn't need to be cheap ammo to shatter. I've shattered Blaster 0.2's by firing them on full auto into a sticky target 7m away at about 365FPS and lower. As they hit each other a fair few shattered. What this always comes down to however is, what is the most present risk? The chance of a BB fragment passing through mesh and retaining sufficient velocity to do permanent damage to your eyeball (without you making it worse by rubbing it, which, though difficult to, you can refrain from doing), or that lenses with properly safe foam/rubber sealed edges will fog up and cause you to trip over something you don't see...

To be honest, I don't think the quality of the bbs matters at all. I wear a set of standard goggles and a half face mesh mask to protect the rest of my face. If I was going to wear a full mesh mask, I'd wear a set of goggles underneath. When it comes to protecting my eyes, I just don't want to risk that one bb that shatters and gets through my mask.

• Supporters

I can't believe anyone would protect their eyes with a pair of sub £5 goggles mesh or not.

+1 I Agree, they are rather important. It's the same with tyres for your car, at the end of the day they are the only thing that keeps you on the road or ploughing into a bus load of school children!

like i said i have a pair of ess ice glasses. In any case the only reason i was wearing those as they are better than nothing! ;) , and my ess glasses fogging up horrendously due to my ski mask :angry: (see profile pic).

ill admit it was my own stupid fault for still wearing them as i have a half face mesh mask now, and that dosn't fog my ess's :DB)

in any case this is the offending piece of bb, on the back piece of velcro from a forum patch ... sorry about the quality, and as you can see its, ridiculously small post-6919-0-09692900-1369684640_thumb.jpg

edit :- sorry forgot to add my thanks for the concern guys B) my eye feels much better now, still a little sore this morning, and i am planning on getting it checked out on wednesday ;)

• Supporters

I feel safer wearing those £5 mesh goggles than I do wearing my £30 Revision Sawfly ballistic glasses.

Largely because ballistic glasses have fuck off gaps around all the edges and the mesh ones don't. I've had one BB break through mesh and I've been wearing the same pair for over 3 years.

Get ones without huge gaps then? :lol:

• Supporters

well here is the pic of the damaged glasses (thought i had binned them)

post-6919-0-62114100-1369779470_thumb.jpg

i was thinking today why the bb shattered, and i started thinking that the problem may have been caused by a rough edge on the surface, but after a close examination, its pretty smooth.

might have to just load up my raider and blast them.

Archived